Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section Breaks

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Ok I'm getting desperate now....

Basically I'm finishing up my thesis and I need to insert a section break.

I want to have the document up to the apendices with normal page numbers. Thats fine.

But I need to have the apendices numbered with roman numericals. I'm inserting a section break at the apendices and changing the numbering to roman numericals yet the roman numericals continue on in sequence from the main document.

So for example my document is say 10 pages up to the apendices. Then I want to start roman numericals at the appendices page. i.e i, ii, iii, iv, v etc etc. But the roman numericals continue on from the main document so it is page 1, 2, 3 ...... 10, xi, xii, xii. So I need to have it 1,2,3,4 ....10, i, ii, iii, iv.

Can some one please give me a dig out? I hope I clearly explained.

Any info GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I spent about 3 hours doing this the other night... finally got there but I really can't tell you how. I was using open office anyway.

Somebody had already divided up the document into sections, so the main body was numbered from 1 - 50. I managed to get the Roman Numerals in by inserting a manual page break on the page before I wanted the Roman Numerals to start. Did the same for the end of the document to remove the Roman Numerals from the bibliography.

Unfortunately that's probably not going to help you much but I just wanted to vent. It's retardedly difficult to put a few page numbers at the bottom of your document.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

if you dont need to hand the file in but just the printed document, just start a new file and new numbering then when u print both out it should be as u need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

sodabread wrote: »
    Ok I'm getting desperate now....

Basically I'm finishing up my thesis and I need to insert a section break.

I want to have the document up to the apendices with normal page numbers. Thats fine.

But I need to have the apendices numbered with roman numericals. I'm inserting a section break at the apendices and changing the numbering to roman numericals yet the roman numericals continue on in sequence from the main document.

So for example my document is say 10 pages up to the apendices. Then I want to start roman numericals at the appendices page. i.e i, ii, iii, iv, v etc etc. But the roman numericals continue on from the main document so it is page 1, 2, 3 ...... 10, xi, xii, xii. So I need to have it 1,2,3,4 ....10, i, ii, iii, iv.

Can some one please give me a dig out? I hope I clearly explained.

Any info GREATLY appreciated.

Make sure you don't have the 'continue from previous section' box checked when formatting the page numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Owing to the minimal nature of my computer literacy, I'm not sure if this relates to the same issue, but I need to divide up my endnote references according to chapter title. At present, my references are sequentially related to my thesis as a whole.

Does anyone know how I can start new sequences of references to correspond to chapter divisions, starting with no. 1 in each section?

I'm using Microsoft Word Processor (Vista edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Make sure you don't have the 'continue from previous section' box checked when formatting the page numbers.

That's exactly it. Go to the first page that you want to put Roman numerals on. Double click on the footnote section. On the right side of the box it either says Continue from previous section" or not. I'd say it does as it is the default. If it says that, just go into the little taskbar for footnotes and deselect Continue from previous section for this page. Than in the same task bar select the insert page number option. select your roman numerals and that should work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

Thanks for the replies. Finally worked.

For other people who may find themselves in this infuriating situation I shall list the steps to salvation:
    1. Have all the document with normal numbers in the footers
    2. Click cursor on start of section you want different numbers for
    3. go to Insert>break>continuous
    4. then go to Insert>page numbers> "show number on first page"> format "roman numericals" > "start at i"
    5. click ok
    Hopefully that should do it... worked for me. Boy the relief!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

Why not just to have all the sections (ie, main document, appendices) as separate documents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

Why not just to have all the sections (ie, main document, appendices) as separate documents?

Thats what I was doing but when i combined them into one document the numbering roman numericals changed to normal numbering.

Also I have to and it up electronically so its looks better as one doc than 2 or 3 separate parts.

Advertisement