Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do SN Margin and Attenuation mean???

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I have Eircom 7Mb Broadband Professional and below are my stats from the Router.
    What do these figures mean?? What is SN Margin and Line Attenuation? Are my figures good or bad? What are acceptable limits? If I am outside acceptable limits what can I do to fix it.

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) Downstream 6624 Upstream 672
    SN Margin (dB) Downstream 6.90 Upstream 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) Downstream 42.00 Upstream 24.00
    CRC Errors Downstream 10 Upstream 0

When Eircom was having problems recently I made a Tech Support call and they sent an engineer out on Wednesday. He said there was a problem with my line inside the house. I was only getting 4800 downstream. I rewired it yesterday so the router is now connected first thing on the line and everything else is downstream through the other side of the splitter/filter. Speed has gone up to 6624 but what does everything else mean? CRC errors sound bad.

Comments

Advertisement