Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the rules?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Can anyone point me to a definitive listing of the boards.ie general, as opposed to individual, rules for users? These may be the Guidelines, listed under the FAQ, but I'm not certain that that's the case. I've also come across many mentions of do's and don'ts, but these seem to relate to specific circumstances rather than providing a comprehensive listing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

So are those guidelines the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

They are Guidelines of the site. Guidelines are what you should take into consideration at all times. As you can see on the bottom of this thread there are Forum Rules which are the rules you have agreed to when you signed up, or rules you adhere to now that you are posting.

Gordon wrote: »
    They are Guidelines of the site. Guidelines are what you should take into consideration at all times. As you can see on the bottom of this thread there are Forum Rules which are the rules you have agreed to when you signed up, or rules you adhere to now that you are posting.
    Oddly ambiguous. I think the forum rules set-up is pretty clear, and isn't in question (see original post).
    But are 'Guidelines' rules, or aren't they? Or are they just made up as you go along?

We make them up and pass them around on the back of a fag packet.

What exactly is the importance of 'official' rules to you?

• Advertisement

We make them up and pass them around on the back of a fag packet.
    Why are you giving a joke (I think the boards.ie expression of choice is smart-arse) answer to a perfectly simple question? Can you not discuss the rules in straightforward terms?
    What exactly is the importance of 'official' rules to you?
    Because I'm affected by them, both in general terms and in relation to my querying of moderation.

Why do you take such exception to my wanting to know them when, as the Guidelines (or is it the rules) state It's against the rules not to know the rules?

And why are you being so defensive about this? It's not a competition: I simply want to be clear what the rules are, and you are being oddly evasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SectionF wrote: »
    Why do you take such exception to my wanting to know them when, as the Guidelines (or is it the rules) state It's against the rules not to know the rules?
    You're looking for a comprehensive listing. There isn't one. This is so that we can make up rules on a whim and do whatever the hell we want.

That's the answer you were looking for, wasn't it?

There is no comprehensive list of sitewide rules. There are some general rules in relation to not acting like a complete pratt, and many forums will have their own specific rules.

The overall guideline is to post with respect - respect the site, respect the users and respect Irish law. Follow these three general guidelines and you're unlikely to fall foul of the specific rules.

Why do we not have a list of comprehensive rules?

1. Maintaining said list would be impossible
    2. It would be enormous
    3. We'd have all manner of idiots acting the prick and dancing around pointing at the rules saying, "I didn't break the rules, you can't do anything!".

seamus wrote: »
    You're looking for a comprehensive listing. There isn't one. This is so that we can make up rules on a whim and do whatever the hell we want.

That's the answer you were looking for, wasn't it?

I don't know. Was it? I was looking for a straightforward statement on the matter either way, for which, finally, thanks.

I suppose now I can go back to my main reason for coming the the 'Help'(!) Desk, which was indeed to find out why some of your mods seem to be acting on whim. I wonder how many more references to 'dick' or 'prat' that will engender?

*shrug*

fact of the matter is, are trying to find some way to prove a point becuase you you cant let go of the fact that someone locked a thread.

The thread was locked. there is no reason to re-open it, and going to lengths of trying to prove some sort of point does nothing for anyone here.

I gave you rather glib answers earlier becuase quite frankly, thats just the way I am.

I gave you a decision in the other thread.

The decision is final. you have opened up another thread in some way trying to question that decision, and I am not happy abouit that. This isnt a democracy as you seem to think it is, there is no freedom of speech, as you feel you should have. If you had been unfairly treated, then I would be happy to reign the mod in and deal with it. As it stands I see no dishonest behaviour, except the fact that you want to have a pop back at soccermom, but you cant.

Get over it, move on.

At least now you know the site rules better than anyone else. I dont expect you will get banned now, will you....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement