Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metaphysics.

• 09-08-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

How would you define it? And does it have any significance in this new modern world where all things not explained by science are credited fallacious?

Philosophers have written a good lot about this subject in the past but now you don't hear much about this.

Did Metaphysics die with the death of god?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think when physics came along metaphysics became obsolete. If physicists want to hypothesize on the possible then I would consider this to be the new metaphysics as they have the difficult ground work already covered whereas philosophers who don't have the same education in physics and may run into problems with their theories as they can contradict already established theories in such a way as to render them meaningless in a very fundamental sense. This is different from developing a more exact theory which renders a previous one incomplete though still workable within its parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Much of psychoanalysis theory could be called metaphysics.
    And of course, we all love to specutate............

'ALL men by nature desire to know. An indication of this is the delight we take in our senses; for even apart from their usefulness they are loved for themselves; and above all others the sense of sight. For not only with a view to action, but even when we are not going to do anything, we prefer seeing (one might say) to everything else. The reason is that this, most of all the senses, makes us know and brings to light many differences between things'.
    http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/metaphysics.1.i.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Metaphysics is very much alive, being as being is does not vanish. The very fact you posted the thread shows that this the above reality of being still is relavent.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

How would you define it? And does it have any significance in this new modern world where all things not explained by science are credited fallacious?

Philosophers have written a good lot about this subject in the past but now you don't hear much about this.

If you want a reasonably substantial account of metaphysics, which is better than a narrow definition, I'd recommend the Stanford Encylopedia article on it.

It occurs to me that you mightn't have a firm grasp on contemporary metaphysics, since you seem to believe that it isn't too current a discipline. It is in fact, and has been since at least the 70s, quite a thriving industry in academic philosophy.

For an account of the 'new' metaphysics: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/metaphysics/#ProMetNewMet

It's probably premature to think that metaphysics is exclusively a theological discipline.

As to its value, well, there is significant debate as to the usefulness or value of most philosophical disciplines. There are also fierce proponents of the value and usefulness of contemporary metaphysics. Timothy Williamson, for instance. But it occurs to me that it might be better for you to wait until you have a full appreciation of what metaphysics is before you make any judgments over its usefulness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement