Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet-up @ the Festival of World Cultures, weekend of 29th and 30th of August

Options
  • 09-08-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

So! I know that a lot of you have not been to this festival in Dun Laoghaire before. Plenty of events are on with lots and lots of food stalls lining the streets. They close off the street running along the sea from the DART to the People's Park and there is always a great atmosphere. There's a big concert going on at Newtownsmith Green (the green area between the DART and Sandycove). It's on Saturday and Sunday, so we could pick a day that suits most. And it better be sunny! It rained an awful lot at last year's one...
    About the festival

Immersed in folk, traditional, eclectic, tribal, digital and the experimental, the dlr Festival of World Cultures presents a kaleidoscopic programme of concerts & club nights, fairs & markets, performances, street events, workshops and so much more. Ireland’s first Global Carnival!!

The Festival is committed to presenting a series of world music concerts that can be experienced by all in a unique and intimate local setting while also offering a ‘passport to the world’ programme of events, many of which are free to all.
    Staged throughout the historic port town of Dún Laoghaire, the dlr Festival of World Cultures is an annual international arts festival celebrating cultural diversity. Through a policy of partnership and participation the Festival undertakes to focus on developing new community audiences, and to provide accessible performances and activities for all ages.

See: http://www.festivalofworldcultures.com
    Plenty of stuff to see: http://www.festivalofworldcultures.com/programme2009?f=market
    Free music on Newtownsmith stage: http://www.festivalofworldcultures.com/programme2009?f=free

Lurkers of this forum are welcome to come along! Don't be shy!!! Come and say "hi" :D

Which day suits best? Either or both? Click away, multiple choice allowed :) 6 votes

Saturday 29th of August
    0%
    Sunday 30th of August
    100%
    entropimonkeyfudgecocoasweet-rasmusmaameeosmegmar 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Great idea Sweetie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Went before and really enjoyed it...

corn on the cob stand any one
    will see if I can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sunday 30th of August
    Was only thinking about this festival yesterday tbh, and i've never been...so if i've no matches that weekend i'll attend one of the days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Sunday 30th of August
    excellent, I missed it last year. It's usually great fun =) It's also my first weekend after summer work finishes =D Must head over to the pics thread so people can try in vain to spot me...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yay more pix. i jsut ahve to threaten unless more people post em I post one of me,obody wants that :D

• Advertisement

Sunday 30th of August
    yay more pix. i jsut ahve to threaten unless more people post em I post one of me,obody wants that :D

hah, just like when I threaten that I'll tell my joke*...

*yes, singular... number two is in the production phase though...

roflcopter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Sunday 30th of August
    ok... now, let's step out of that crazy place... back to reality. Less of that sort of thing :P You'll scare away all the lurker veggies!

If I am up in Dublin this weekend, I shall attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'll dig one out when I get home. I can't access anything much here in work. It will make you all feel very very young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Argh if I'm not working on the day, I'd love to attend! I'm one of the lurkers :)

Sunday 30th of August
    woo hoo! Well, it goes on all day and into the night. work can't stop you coming along at some stage, right?!!

And welcome :) Have a look at the 'Know you vegetarians' thread and introduce yourself! We don't bite ;)

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'll dig one out when I get home. I can't access anything much here in work. It will make you all feel very very young.
    Sweet.
    Argh if I'm not working on the day, I'd love to attend! I'm one of the lurkers :)

Welcome to the forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Sunday 30th of August
    aw yeay ill def go! we went last year, was great!

the only thing i hate about it is going to dun laoghaire on my day off *shudder*

(i work there btw!)

Sunday 30th of August
    i totally know what you mean. ah, in the festival spirit, it's hard to recognise as its usual self.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Sunday 30th of August
    ah i know, it looks completely diff, its more the journey out! LOL

na its a really good day out, had a great time at the last, def wana got this year! :D

Sunday 30th of August
    argh, work is crazy, can't wait for the festival. i think I'll uni there =D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

=( I'm working through the weekend. Won't be able to go sorry *is sad*

Sunday 30th of August
    aww well. We'll just have to have fun without you ;)

Sunday 30th of August
    so I found a little informational thing about the festival at home today. Was it always so expensive?! I saw all this stuff about booking tickets and paying for workshops. For a second I thought entry to the festival itself would cost something :eek: Funny as well was the mention on one page of all the street performers and buskers that would be around, and on the next page a warning against busking without a permit =P It should all be good fun all the same, I can't wait =D

• Advertisement

Sunday 30th of August
    there is plenty of free stuff on, you just have to book if it's classes etc. I've never done anything but wander around the festival.... and know taking part more wouldn't hurt. but i'm not really interested in belly dancing lessons (a friend asked me to join her one year).... ughghhghhh! i'm all for the food! some kid from the green party handed us out some veggie jelly beans and a tree seed last time :) and the happy pear had a stand with smoothies last time... mmmmmmm gotta support them!

see anything interesting that we should attend?!

*fingers crossed for glorious weather*

Sunday 30th of August
    Hmm, nothing really jumped out at me but just wandering around is usually the best way to experience these events anyway =) I might try and get to the jive dance workshop tho =)

there is plenty of free stuff on, you just have to book if it's classes etc. I've never done anything but wander around the festival.... and know taking part more wouldn't hurt. but i'm not really interested in belly dancing lessons (a friend asked me to join her one year).... ughghhghhh! i'm all for the food! some kid from the green party handed us out some veggie jelly beans and a tree seed last time :) and the happy pear had a stand with smoothies last time... mmmmmmm gotta support them!

see anything interesting that we should attend?!

*fingers crossed for glorious weather*

Be careful though, when they gave us the jelly beans like, they said they had no gelatin and were veggie like, but they had shellac I found out!

bai

Sunday 30th of August
    oh I don't remember that :(

I was probably quietly said lala

Sunday 30th of August
    sooooo... anyone got any plans?!!

Oh, noticed all the parking meters in Dun Laoghaire have a note to say they won't charge on the Saturday (Sunday is free anyway). The place will be packed, but it's a nice gesture.

Sunday 30th of August
    So kind moderator, would you be able to give a definate day we should all head down your way by car/foot/*shudder*dart?:D

I might even bring my camera along for it:P

Sunday 30th of August
    Looks like Sunday suits everyone so why not do the meet up on that day? I'll probably be around both days myself =)

Any ideas for specific location for the meetup? I'd say people's park but that's just cos it's been a while since I've been to dun laoghaire during the festival and I know I'll be able to find the park =D

Oh and I promise to post a proper pic before the meetup =P =D

Sunday 30th of August
    yeah, any day suits me :) As cocoa said, Sunday seems to suit best. And as he also said, I'll prob be around both days too. Haven't a clue about a time or what not. Master of Nothing can decide ;) I presume that means you don't have a match on the day? Oh, I'll pm anyone who is coming along my number, so we'll find eachother. Just send me a note. I only live about 15 minutes away, so if anyone is early, just tell me to get moving. Looking forward to a laugh. And some stories about last weekend ;) I've seen the pics!

Tonight Met Eireann says: "At this stage the weekend weather looks reasonable with a continuation of that seasonal touch to it. Saturday will be an improvement; it wont be as windy and the day will be less showery with the south and east remaining almost totally dry. And there should be a lot of dry weather through Sunday as well."

• Advertisement

Sunday 30th of August
    yeah, any day suits me :) As cocoa said, Sunday seems to suit best. And as he also said, I'll prob be around both days too. Haven't a clue about a time or what not. Master of Nothing can decide ;) I presume that means you don't have a match on the day?
    I actually do have a match on sunday but it is at 10:30am either at the club in glasnevin, or in marlay park i'm not sure until around thu eve. But as for a time? I would say 1pm/1:30pm should suit most people?

Advertisement