Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New computer PLEASE HELP

Options
  • 09-08-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Hey, i want to build a new pc myself, I'm going to be doing photo editing and dreamweaver etc on it aswell as everyday use, playing music and stuff

I wont be gaming on this, apart from a tiny bit of counter strike! So i could save a few bucks there hopefully

I have a budget of around 700 - 800 euro but i'd like to keep costs down as much as i can

I'm looking for a quad core and 4gb of ram but but i have no idea of what exact parts to get, any advice would be greatly aprecated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

For that budget you're looking at a nice modern quad-core PC.

First thing's first: Is that budget just for the PC or does it include the need for a shiny new monitor, peripherals etc.?

And an odd but important question: Do you use Adobe CS4? If you use Adobe Photoshop for graphics editing it means you're one of the few who are still better off on Intel C2Q rather than AMD Phenom2. Which has a profound effect on the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

well i might get a new monitor in a few months but this isnt for that, i'd like to get a good new keyboard and mouse from this if i could.

Well im using cs3 now because i dont have a 64 bit system right now, but i was planning on upgradings to cs4 with the new pc, does it really effect it that much?
    I was planning on Intel anyway because im more familier with them over AMD!

Intel it is then.

Usually I'd laugh at flimsy excuses for sticking with Intel - after all I'm not pleased with people not getting their money's worth :D But if there is one weakness Phenom has its multimedia. The killer is there is an unknown issue that makes the latest Photoshop agonisingly slow compared to the equivalent Core2. Lots of anti-AMD sites use tons of CS4 testbenches to drag the average results in any Phenom2/C2Q faceoff into the land of farce. If CS4 is your raison d'etre avoid AMD like the plague until this issue is sorted.

Sample time:

HWVS090809.png

CPU grunt is the name of the game with this build. Sadly Adobe forces us to stick to Intel on this build. Q9550 is probably the best choice for this build.
    Mobo is basic enough, modern P43 chipset with decent capabilities.
    RAM is just a basic 2*2GB PC6400 kit. You could add a second if going 64bit down the line, might be a little handy if Photoshopping gets intense but its by no means crucial (no pun intended)
    Graphics is just basic as hell, that's actually the cheapest 9500GT but the DDR2 is faster on that one than the more expensive models... don't ask. CUDA could give a boost in some applications, especially CS4. That card should be more than enough for CS... hell, it could probably run CS:Source at a respectable rate, although I'd prefer a 9800GT for that :P
    HDD is a decent, cheap 1TB drive. DVD burner is SATA and there's not much more I can say about it. Simples.
    PSU is more than enough for this build, the Q9550s thirst is moderate (5-8A) and the card and sundries consume sweet eff-all. If you needed to get the 9800GT it wouldn't even get to stretch its legs :P
    Case is a (very) decent budget model. Went minimalist given the lack of teh evils under the hood with this build but there's plenty of legroom in the budget to get something nicer and/or cooler if you want.

Untitled-1copy.jpg
    I changed a few things, does it still look good?
    Went for a slightly better graphics card, might aswell spend the money on it if i have it, what do you think? you'd know a lot more than me

Oh dear...

CPU: Fine
    Mobo: Good choice. Slight improvements over the MSI but a little pricier.
    HDD: Sure you don't want 50% more storage for just a tenner extra? ;)
    RAM: Err... same spec? Yet way more expensive??
    Graphics: Inferior card, yet more expensive. Are you playing CS or CS:Source? And any other modern games? If not the Club is actually the better card. If yes then a cheapie 9800GT is a better plan and about as far as you should stretch unless you suddenly develop more of a taste for gaming :D
    Case: Excellent pick but a little pricey and some claim its a bit on the noisy side too. You can get something far more huge, obtrusive and effective (and quieter to boot!) for less in the form of the Mini-HAF, or go for something intermediate - maybe a CM690 Dominator, or if you really need the added shiny lights then a Xigmatek Midgard with or without window and some extra fans to boot :D
    Optical: Whatever :P
    PSU: NO. BAD. GO AWAY. More money for less PSU. Review of bigger brother here. You might use slightly less electricity but you'll scream "OH HEC!" when the out-of-spec ripple slowly eats your PC alive. Naughty Xigmatek, selling all of about three budget CWT units then quietly switching to craptacular Hiroshi (HEC Compucase) on the quiet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Case is very noisy due to the large fan on the top, even on low setting and tbh not worth the price. I've an antec P182 and they're great. This also seems decent but I'd probably go with the one Solitaire originally mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ASUS P5QL-E

Just have a good lurk on NewEgg for reviews of that motherboard, a few users report feedback\crackle\static on the Audio, probably due to the power connector being so close to the backplate and audio ports.

It's a shame, as I love a modern MB with BOTH legacy mouse and keyboard connectors. I had\still have this in my upcoming build, but I'm wary of the in-built audio.

Great backplate though, I love the mix of Firewire, E-Sata and legacy keyboard\mouse, at that price point.

Just a heads up.

That's a shame, that board has a high-end ALC1200 setup and borks it all by sticking the audio lines in EMF hell :rolleyes:

Could i fix that but getting a handy sound card or would i be better off going for a new mobo altogether.

HDD: Sure you don't want 50% more storage for just a tenner extra? wink.gif
    *Well i have a 1tb external but would the smaller memory be faster or would it make any difference?

RAM: Err... same spec? Yet way more expensive??
    *lol i thought it was better ram, i'll go with the first one

Graphics: Inferior card, yet more expensive. Are you playing CS or CS:Source? And any other modern games? If not the Club is actually the better card. If yes then a cheapie 9800GT is a better plan and about as far as you should stretch unless you suddenly develop more of a taste for gaming biggrin.gif
    *I'll go for that one you jsut linked me there, its got hd output so i can connect it to my hdtv then cant i? I'd say cs source, thats what all the kids are playing these days right :p

Case: Excellent pick but a little pricey and some claim its a bit on the noisy side too. You can get something far more huge, obtrusive and effective (and quieter to boot!) for less in the form of the Mini-HAF, or go for something intermediate - maybe a CM690 Dominator, or if you really need the added shiny lights then a Xigmatek Midgard with or without window and some extra fans to boot biggrin.gif
    *Well the case I would love is the Antec p180, but they dont have it on that site or komplett
    PSU: NO. BAD. GO AWAY. More money for less PSU. Review of bigger brother here. You might use slightly less electricity but you'll scream "OH HEC!" when the out-of-spec ripple slowly eats your PC alive. Naughty Xigmatek, selling all of about three budget CWT units then quietly switching to craptacular Hiroshi (HEC Compucase) on the quiet!
    *Well tbh i dont care about going green with the psu, would somthing like this be better http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1VS-rEU3DIkOwr/articledetail.jsp?aid=17793&agid=240

Could i fix that but getting a handy sound card or would i be better off going for a new mobo altogether.

Probably the latter. You could get a sound card if you were that worried and wanted to keep that mobo but one of the key reasons for getting it over the MSI is the better onboard sound :rolleyes: IMHO get the MSI for cheap then get a soundcard further down the road if you really need the extra sound quality. Most current onboard sound chips are perfectly good so long as you're not a raving audiophile :D
    Well i have a 1tb external but would the smaller memory be faster or would it make any difference?

Ah, that explains it. A smaller drive won't usually give you a big boost in performance, but if it has fewer platters and fewer moving parts it might be a bit more reliable than a larger one - a few 1TB+ drives with 250/320GB platters have been less than reliable compared to their manufacturers' usual form.
    I'll go for that one you jsut linked me there, its got hd output so i can connect it to my hdtv then cant i? I'd say cs source, thats what all the kids are playing these days right

If you're playing CSS then get that cheapie 9800GT. There's a very cheap (~€90) GTS250 coming soon, which might be a bit more futureproof in the higher-res semi-casual gaming stakes, but I didn't see any due date for it yet. Almost any decent modern card will either have a HDMI port or an included HDMI dongle to convert one of the card's DVI ports. Bear in mind that the price you pay for CUDA is increased faffing about if you want Sound-Over-HDMI, messing with passthrough cables and the like :rolleyes: But for HDMI video its just plug-n-play :)
    *Well the case I would love is the Antec p180, but they dont have it on that site or komplett

If you want a quiet case I'd choose any of those I listed over the 900 - its not the quietest case around. There's other quiet-yet-stylish options there as well - Kublai, Panzerbox, Whisper... have a good look and see if you can find something to your taste :)
    Well tbh i dont care about going green with the psu, would somthing like this be better (VX550)

That's a good PSU, but a little over-the-top unless you intend to add a stack of internal HDDs or a GTX275 or something :D If you're really unhappy with the CX400 (blasphemy!!) the VX450 is cheaper and still more than enough for this system ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Probably the latter. You could get a sound card if you were that worried and wanted to keep that mobo but one of the key reasons for getting it over the MSI is the better onboard sound :rolleyes: IMHO get the MSI for cheap then get a soundcard further down the road if you really need the extra sound quality. Most current onboard sound chips are perfectly good so long as you're not a raving audiophile :D

Not to derail the thread too much but on a similar note the audio on my Gigabyte 790XTU4DP has a big problem in Vista with Cool N' Quiet being enabled and tend to skip at those moments the CPU is being up or downclocked. Very annoying, only solution was to turn it off and bumped up my 720BE to 3.2 as while I was at it. Screw the environment ;)

Only happened on Vista64 as I recall which was wierd, Ubuntu had no such problems with audio skipping even with CnQ on.

More likely an issue with Vista's infamously flakey task scheduler. You do know the reason CPUs don't have independently idling cores is because of Vista?! :mad:

Never really had an issue with my (3.3GHz) E5200's EIST on XP or Win7. But Vista causes mental trouble with any form of power-saving :o

Save The Environment! Burn Vista! lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

My gigabytes Dynamic energy saver and "part" of the internal sound would never work with vista 64 either...

Both are fine with Windows 7 though?

Maybe. Depends on how much the task scheduling has been improved since the joke of a system in Vista.

How does this look now?
    Added a card reader too

Untitled-1copy-1.jpg
    Under budget too so i could get all my accessories now aswellWhat do ye all think? Be able to run photoshop, winamp and firefox at the same time?

Advertisement