Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought Car Today- Need to Use it Tonight... Insurance?

• 09-08-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,

We have just bought a car, but need to use it tonight to get up to Belfast. Thought we could get insurance today on the internet, however AA only do one upfront payment, no direct debit option as we had planned...

What do you guys suggest we do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quinn Direct offer instant cover with direct debit - but this may be far more expensive than the AA's best quote clearly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Can you start a policy with Quinn or the like from the net today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GreenPlastic

Yes, you can start a policy with both AA and Quinn on the net today, however, we need to pay direct debit, not upfront.

Also, since some details won't let us get a quote, such as the fact we haven't been residents for more than a year, means we can't get a quote... If you put that we have been residents for a substantial amount of time, can we change it tomorrow and pay the proper amount? This is what's stopping us from going head with Quinn..

If we do pay upfront, can we change it tomorrow to be direct debit..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Get the bus so, www.buseireann.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi,

We have just bought a car, but need to use it tonight to get up to Belfast. Thought we could get insurance today on the internet, however AA only do one upfront payment, no direct debit option as we had planned...

What do you guys suggest we do?

Get a train or bus instead..........

Or wait until tomorrow to pay up front with the insurance compnaies.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just go ahead with the direct debit and then call them up tomorrow and pay in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just go ahead with the direct debit and then call them up tomorrow and pay in full.

Not a good idea. There could easily be a clause in the contract stating that you can't change from one to the other and they'd be screwed with interest.

OP, buying insurance with DD is a very false economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Confab wrote: »
    Not a good idea. There could easily be a clause in the contract stating that you can't change from one to the other and they'd be screwed with interest.

OP, buying insurance with DD is a very false economy.

Quinn Direct allows you to change payment method within the first 30days of the policy.

If you Pay Direct Debit, you have to pay a 20% deposit online, and provide bank details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Have you tried hibernian ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes, you can start a policy with both AA and Quinn on the net today, however, we need to pay direct debit, not upfront.

Also, since some details won't let us get a quote, such as the fact we haven't been residents for more than a year, means we can't get a quote... If you put that we have been residents for a substantial amount of time, can we change it tomorrow and pay the proper amount? This is what's stopping us from going head with Quinn..

If we do pay upfront, can we change it tomorrow to be direct debit..?

Don't even think about telling them you're here longer than you are. Giving false information will invalidate any insurance policy and is illegal. If there's a claim made against your policy you will be screwed. You would most likely by prosecuted for no insurance, and you can be sued by the insurance company for any money they paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

slimjimmc wrote: »
    ...... You would most likely by prosecuted for no insurance, and you can be sued by the insurance company for any money they paid.

...whilst I agree not to "give false info, people also need to stop touting the 'you'll be done for no insurance if you don't X/Y/Z" This too is false info.

The only thing that can happen is that your policy will be cancelled. You can be sure your name will be 'blacklisted' within insurance circles. However, any cover up to that point is intact, and cannot be undone. Ergo, you can't be prosecuted, and you can't get points etc for it.

You can be sued afterwards by the ins co for any monies paid out, yes, but that's the extent of it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...whilst I agree not to "give false info, people also need to stop touting the 'you'll be done for no insurance if you don't X/Y/Z" This too is false info.

The only thing that can happen is that your policy will be cancelled. You can be sure your name will be 'blacklisted' within insurance circles. However, any cover up to that point is intact, and cannot be undone. Ergo, you can't be prosecuted, and you can't get points etc for it.

You can be sued afterwards by the ins co for any monies paid out, yes, but that's the extent of it.

Fair enough, if this is true I stand corrected. I just expected that if you knowingly give false info thereby failing to meet the terms of the contract then that contract is null and void from the beginning, not just if they find out. It's great to learn something new everyday.:)

Advertisement