Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dog Urinating

Options
  • 09-08-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

My dog lives with my parents and I have come home for the weekend. Now she's getting old. She's an old english sheepdog and she's about 11/12 now. I've noticed she is finding it more and more difficult to sid down on her back legs. And only lately I've noticed when she does get up, she seems to have wet herself.

Now I'm very very concerned about her, but my parents don't seem to think theres anything wrong with her. I would take her to the vet myself, but you'd need a car to get there, and I don't drive.

What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Insist your parents take her.
    If she's lost strength in her back legs, then she's probably lost strength in her muscles down that area, which means she may wet herself without meaning to/realising.
    I'm not sure but there may be a way to help her, maybe with physio, but you'd need the vet to see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Definitely need to see the vet! Involuntary urination could be a sign of a more serious problem and I would not just attribute it to old age. The difficulty rising is most likely osteoarthritis, a condition which is quite painful. Pain medication for this should be started, it would be impacting quite a lot on the dogs quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I agree with the previous posters. Have her checked by a vet and don't just accept it as a natural part of the aging process - there are treatments and medication she can have to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Ok well I have said it to them for the third time. My mam says she will bring her, but could be just sayin that to shut me up. I'm really upset over their lack of care. Shouldn't of gotten a dog if they can't look after her. Really f***kin annoys me.

Advertisement