Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Reduction Ballsbridge

Options
  • 09-08-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Myself and 2 flatemates are currently paying 1,800 euro for a 3 bedroom (one ensuite) apartment in the Sweepstakes, Ballsbridge. Like most other tenents in the past year we have broached the subject of a rent discount with the landlady. I think we have a good enough case for it - aside from the fact that rents are going down across the country, ours increased by 300 from 2006 to 2008 when interest rates were through the roof, plus she spends absolutely nothing on the apartment and it's seen better days. I think at least 150 off is reasonable.

Her response is basically along the lines of "It's the Sweepstakes Ballsbridge, it's going to be more expensive". Do people think just because it's Ballsbridge it's immune from recent developments? It's difficult to know what is really the going rate in the area at the moment- on Daft you have everything from apartments similar to ours advertised all the way to penthouse apartments going for ridiculous prices.

The critical thing is I have no idea how easy she would find it to get someone else in there if we actually moved out or threatend to move out.

Any nuggets of advice appreciated,
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I do think that certain areas will always have demand and therefore rents may not decrease as much as you may expect. I live in the IFSC and there seems to still be demand for the area because of its central location and it's name. Same as areas on the southside...a lot of times you're paying for an address.

If you feel that you could get better for less then leave. I never understand why people stay in places when they feel they are being ripped off. Getting apartments in Dublin isn't the struggle it was a few years ago and you could most likely get something very decent very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Definately agree with the above poster, just leave!!!

As you said its seen better days! We have asked for a second reduction, if they say no we are leaving! We can't afford to be fools any longer! Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Thanks for the replies. I'd consider leaving but more as a last resort really.....complaints aside it's a handy place for me and I am really sick of moving to new places in Dublin at this stage (this is the 5th in as many years).

Still, would nearly be worth us all moving out just to see the look on the landladies face when we tell her.....the cow would have to spend some cash on the place then just to make it presentable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

jpm4 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I'd consider leaving but more as a last resort really.....complaints aside it's a handy place for me and I am really sick of moving to new places in Dublin at this stage (this is the 5th in as many years).

Not trying to be a smartarse, but you can't really piss and moan about the rent you're paying when you have plenty of other opportunities and don't want the inconvenience of moving. An extra ten minutes on the bus in the morning could save you a hell of a lot of cash in the long run.
    the cow would have to spend some cash on the place then just to make it presentable :)

If the property needs be made presentable then you are out of your mind to be paying the amount you are when there are apartments sitting empty all across the city for low rent.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Not trying to be a smartarse, but you can't really piss and moan about the rent you're paying when you have plenty of other opportunities and don't want the inconvenience of moving. An extra ten minutes on the bus in the morning could save you a hell of a lot of cash in the long run..

"Pissing and moaning" is pretty harsh, and surely no one wants the inconvenience of moving if they can help it? Moving any place in Dublin that is only a 10 min bus ride from Ballsbridge at busy times would certainly not save me much when you factor in weekly ticket costs, unless I was living with 5 other people or something. I work there, which is why the current place is handy.
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    If the property needs be made presentable then you are out of your mind to be paying the amount you are when there are apartments sitting empty all across the city for low rent.

I agree.....hence the discussions with the landlady. I think it makes sense to exhaust that avenue before moving, which I personally think is 2nd only to moving job in stress levels. Am sure some people find it a breeze, lucky them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

If you're realistic about wanting a reduction then you need to do a little research. Find out what other apartments in the development are letting for and give this info to the LL. I would put the case: We are paying more than others in the area and we want a reduction from €1800 to €1600 or we will have to give notice. I'm sure you'll get it and if not move! There is no shortage of accommodation in the area and if you don't want to move then you're going to have to pay whatever your LL wants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Why would anyone give you a reduction on anything if you were unwilling to do anything if they said no.

:)

damnyanks wrote: »
    Why would anyone give you a reduction on anything if you were unwilling to do anything if they said no.

:)

Because she doesn't know what I am willing/unwilling to do? Ever play poker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Yes - its called calling your bluff which she will do when she says no to your rent reduction and you stay? You need to make the decision that if she says no then you will move, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Because she doesn't know what I am willing/unwilling to do? Ever play poker?

I think she's a better player! ... u need to be prepared to walk away. You obviously aren't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement