Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses Built in Forest in Clarenbridge

Options
  • 09-08-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been curious about these houses for years and wanted to see if anyone knows anything, just after the river as you leave Clarenbridge theres a forest beside the road that leads down to the swimming pool, or it used to be a swimming pool when I was a kid getting lessons anyway, it might have changed since then. A few years ago houses started springing up in these woods and whenever I see them I cringe, they're a complete and utter eyesore in my opinion as what used to be a view of fairly pristine forest from the main road was completely spoiled. I was just always curious as to whether there were many objections at the time or protests or anything like that? I think its bizarre that planning was given to clear forest for these houses, no attempt seems to have been made to make them blend into their environment or anything, as the one up the front has a vulgar oversized garage and a tennis court, imagine cutting down 40 or 50 trees to build something that might be used 3 times a year max, if ever.

Anyway, as I said Im not from the area myself, just curious, anyone know or remember anything about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Probably built about 15 years at a guess, they were very expensive sites at the time,individual sites for self build . Not sure who sold the land, but i don't recall any objections at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Thats not the only thing. Have you seen where Colga FC have built there NEW ground, a whole load of forest has been cut down to accomodate this. Now I'm all for providing facilities for sports BUT there is a **** load of land out here so why does so much forest have to be felled. Further down the road and close to where I live, Coillite have descimated the woodlands beside us. FFS, at a time when we could do with as much trees as possible:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Presumably planning permission has been obtained for all of the aforementioned developments. If so, was there any local opposition of was An Bord Pleanala involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

You can go to www.galway.ie's planning query system and see the history of planning permissions along with the documentation that was submitted/requested for them.
    Hope this helps.
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There's a fairly new fairly estate just off the main road in the forest. Then there's Kilcornan itself. It is a pity to see forest cleared but, thankfully, there is still a substantial amount of trees left. You can enter Kilcornan and come out the main forest entrance nearer Kilcolgan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement