Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Comments

Yeah, sharing is caring!. My wired machine was back up to 9.37Mb down but my wireless is running around 3.x - must have cocked up my router config.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

Wireless
    565883073.png

Wired (Router)
    565884793.png

Wired (Modem)
    565887094.png

:confused:

That is nice and inconsistent. I found a firmware updated for my router so I'm going to check later when I get home.

baz8080 wrote: »
    That is nice and inconsistent. I found a firmware updated for my router so I'm going to check later when I get home.

I've come to the conclusion that my wireless router (Belkin Wireless G) is knackered and I need a new one.

At least I'm getting almost half "my" download speed, unlike yesterday.

I have a ZyXEL NBG-460N. I used to get the full speed when going through wireless but it has been bad lately.

What speed are you connecting to your router at? Is it reporting the full 54Mb or lower?

• Advertisement

I used to get great speed too but no more.

How do I check what speed I'm connecting to the router at?

I use mac and linux boxes so I have some scripts to report it but in windows I usually go to task manager, click on the networking tab and then look for link speed.

I'm on a Macbook right now, so do tell.... :D

Excellent - I can send you on the script I use later on when I get home.

In the meantime I spotted this on the internets which was news to me:

"<snip> Or hold down Alt/Opt and click on the Airport icon in your Status menu and then look at Transmit Rate <snip>"

The guys on that thread were also talking about switching to opendns and deleting and re-adding the airport adapter. I'm going to try a few things tonight and will let you know if it makes it any better for me.

Transmit Rate: 54

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭quiche

Was anyone having DNS problems? I was getting sporadic connections - always a resolution error (upc, out in dun laoghaire) - changed over to OpenDNS - everything back to normal.

There was another thread where people were having dns issues - I think I'll change over anyway as I've never had any issues with OpenDNS.

54Mb should be fine really. You'll get 22Mb or so real-world bandwidth with that which is much higher than your 10Mb connection. Are there lots of wireless connections around you? Might be worth trying to find out your neighbours wireless channels with kismac-ng and picking one that isn't busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

567115466.png

Is this kicking off again...I'm on a 20 Mbs connection in Dublin 8. (Cork Street). Am I the only one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

567119585.png

All fine here, try the Galway server if you haven't already. Dublin and Derry servers always give me bad results.

567129197.png

Nope, better off Galway server but still < 1/3 of what I'm paying for. My router firmware is up to date. Must be contention. I'll ring them tomorrow.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gone_crazry

579274805.png

is that like normal at all with a 20mb line...cant play WOW at all during peak hours..

579279752.png on Dublin server.

579281598.png on Galway server.

I'm on 20 Mbs in Dublin 8. Once again UPC cover themselves in glory:rolleyes:

Direct connection to the modem or wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

579300251.png

HTTP was extremely slow earlier, now - I can't download any torrents whatsoever from a variety of different trackers. I know they have blocked piratebay, but even a martial arts tracker I use with legit files isn't working.

mccreesj wrote: »
    Direct connection to the modem or wireless?

wireless.

• Advertisement

Direct connection for me here...
    the ping is really high compared to the results u guys are posting.am in D7. Does that have anything to do with windows Vista? am on SP1 Vista64 Home

Just finished a download off usenet and was getting 1.5/1.6 MB/s so my real download speed is fine. Just the bloody speedtest.
    I'm on Vista home 32 sp2 though I doubt that has any affect.

did a test from my laptop and i have 26ms.
    did test from desktop at same time and i have 1026ms.
    did test from ipod touch and i got 26ms.
    Clearly something is wrong with my desktop, and its a brand new one..can any1 help me out here as it clearly has something to do with the OS or something..
    thanks

Just finished a download off usenet and was getting 1.5/1.6 MB/s so my real download speed is fine. Just the bloody speedtest.
    I'm on Vista home 32 sp2 though I doubt that has any affect.

Speedtest can be totaly unreliable, as you say the best way to judge is to download of a high speed server, ie Usenet Provider or even Linux distro off HEAnet.

That will give you a accurate speedtest.

579346740.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

Same here - I tried early in the morning before going to work and the speed was ok, but it's terrible in the evenings.
    I talked to one of their "support" guys yesterday, and they say someone from their 2nd level support would call me back today (will post back if they do).
    I wish there was a bit more competition. In a healthy market UPC wouldn't be able to get away with such terrible quality and support.

If it's not fixed today, I'll just go back comreg. It worked great when I had to contact them last year, and I recommend it to anyone tired of dealing with UPC's pathetic service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JamesGJFX

gah , speedtest is weighing me in at about 3/4MB connection , even though I'm on a 20MB one.

It's been like this for a few weeks now , on and off!

Anyone else?

D11 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

JamesGJFX wrote: »
    gah , speedtest is weighing me in at about 3/4MB connection , even though I'm on a 20MB one.

It's been like this for a few weeks now , on and off!

Anyone else?

D11 by the way.

Yep, same here. 5.25 right now on 20MB connection.

These ups and downs are a pain sometimes. I guess it's peak time, but a quarter of the speed I've signed up for seems to be a bit taking the michael.

Dublin 3 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JamesGJFX

Yep, same here. 5.25 right now on 20MB connection.

These ups and downs are a pain sometimes. I guess it's peak time, but a quarter of the speed I've signed up for seems to be a bit taking the michael.

Dublin 3 here.

See I dont mind losing 10 MB or even 15 MB of my connection in the evenings , it's the fact the ~5MB I'm left with is acting like an unstable 56k connection :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

JamesGJFX wrote: »
    See I dont mind losing 10 MB or even 15 MB of my connection in the evenings , it's the fact the ~5MB I'm left with is acting like an unstable 56k connection :(

Have you tried running a ping test to some websites through command prompt? I get the same issues you are describing in Limerick and when I run ping tests I notice a lot of packet loss during the times I have the issue. You can test it by opening command prompt and typing the following:

ping www.google.ie -t

You should see it return replies with pings in around the same number each time. If it doesn't reply sometimes then you are dropping packets somewhere. I have been in contact with UPC about my problem over the last months but they tell me that there is nothing wrong on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

ive been having speed issues for about 7 weeks now.

ive in touch numerous amounts of times, they keep telling me about repairs in the area for the 48th week which will end the 6th of December.

Once the issue is fixed they will then consider refunding me the difference of 2 months for the broadband im not getting.

bit of a crap way of doing it as i cant see it getting fixed very soon.

20mb broadband.. receiving 2mb
    dublin 16

Advertisement