Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

shhhh ! you'll jinx it ! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Do a tracert now and see are you being routed through Austria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

Yea my 10meg line is almost back to normal also ping is alot better was 210ms

537529299.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Hmmm,

537543640.png
    537544299.png
    537544922.png
    537545686.png

How accurate is this site supposed to be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Back to ****e is Sligo

537546435.png

That didn't last long.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Burgo wrote: »
    shhhh ! you'll jinx it ! :P

Correct:mad::mad::mad:

It was back for a little while but gone crap again.
    It did a tracert at the time and it was still going through the same hops but no issues with Austria.
    I was asked yesterday to send a mail off regarding this matter showing at much detail as posible which i did this morning nut have yet to get any sort of reply/call.This is getting beyond a joke at this stage imo.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea mines back to dirt again. That didn't last long at all. They better sort this **** out ASAP, getting sick of it!:mad:

40mins laters mine fooked again

had a good half hour on cs before it went tits up again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Same problem here. In Cabra, Dublin 7. Started Saturday pm. Pings through the roof (200+ to england or digiweb in Dublin) Rang tech support and when I eventually got through, talked to a nice guy called Eamon who agreed I had a problem and told me he would run test and get back to me Monday pm. He did as promised and arrainged a call-out from engineer for this Friday. If this is a general network problem then the call-out is unlikely to resolve anything, but either way I will keep you posted.
    537556353.png

• Advertisement

This is the exact same BS I put up with for months at Eircon, I won't be putting up with it for that long again. If it's not fixed by next Monday I'm switching to Smart, not as fast but at least I'll get the speed I pay for.

537593327.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

537599550.png

I'm on 10MB in D11.

Down speed is not too bad - but the ping is atrocious.

182ms is basically no online gaming.

I wouldn;t mind - but the weekend I got it installed (last weekend, 9 days ago) I was getting pings os 10ms (yes, TEN) to dublin on speedtest.

What the hell is going on.

Plus, thats the fastest test I've done in days, it had dropped to below 4 the other day - and I'm also suffering the random disappearance of connection at times.

**edit

Just did a tracert to multiplay.co.uk - 2 hops?????? (118ms)

Surely that cant be right?

Internet went off there for 2 mins.

Back now and Playstation Network no longer works, Twitter down too :mad:.

Just tested Galway on speedtest:

537614095.png

???? Could this definitely point to a problem in a dublin node?? (though I would assume the connection would still be routed through DUblin...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Rang them there, waited 20 minutes to get through.

He went quiet and seemed to run a line test and then told me that there were 2 line signal areas of concern/faults and that an engineer would need to come out and update my modem (Motorola Surfmobile from around 2 years ago) and test the line though he did also say 'it's bordering on being a possible area problem but no area faults are listed on the system'.

Engineer coming out on Friday afternoon. Will post back with outcome.

Just did a tracert to multiplay.co.uk - 2 hops?????? (118ms)

Surely that cant be right?

I got that too :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just tested Galway on speedtest:

537614095.png

???? Could this definitely point to a problem in a dublin node?? (though I would assume the connection would still be routed through DUblin...)

There's another theory. Can it be that the problem is with the server of Dublin Speedtest.

Dublin speedtest server is reporting slow connection for me whereas Limerick and Galway both reports very good connection, ping less than 50 and more than 9mb download speed on a 10 mb line.

I just downloaded a file from a fast speed server and it nearly hit the max download speed.

Hmmm.....

537641569.png
    537642029.png
    537642562.png
    537643068.png
    537643675.png

Not for me, All tests come back crap.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    There's another theory. Can it be that the problem is with the server of Dublin Speedtest.

Dublin speedtest server is reporting slow connection for me whereas Limerick and Galway both reports very good connection, ping less than 50 and more than 9mb download speed on a 10 mb line.

I just downloaded a file from a fast speed server and it nearly hit the max download speed.

Hmmm.....

Not just a dublin speedtest problem. My pings to the uk gaming servers I use went from 25ms => 200ms+ on Saturday. Unplayable! When I hijack my neghbours 1mb Eircom connection (with their permission) I get 45ms!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

He went quiet and seemed to run a line test and then told me that there were 2 line signal areas of concern/faults and that an engineer would need to come out and update my modem (Motorola Surfmobile from around 2 years ago) and test the line though he did also say 'it's bordering on being a possible area problem but no area faults are listed on the system'.

Thats a coincedence,I kept the Motorola modem instead of the Atlanta type one the engineer brought out,maybe thats the problem?What type of modem are people using that are having this problem?
    BTW it was good from about 4pm to 6pm today and now back to the lag,which seems to be in keeping with what others are finding,so this isnt a specific area problem but a whole Dublin issue.

• Advertisement

From what everyone on this thread says, this appears to be a network routing problem. It also seems to be very widespread. Can I suggest a course of action?
    1: Log a call. Insist on an engineer call-out. Take nothing else.
    2: After Engineer call-out (for me thats Friday afternoon) check line. If problem is not resolved (and I don't think a call-out will fix it, but it will confirm that the problem is not on "our side") immediately ring customer service again and tell them that we are cancelling our direct debits until the issue is resolved.
    I will follow this course of action and report back with any news. If everyone else does the same, I think it will be quickly resolved.

Agree docmol,its good to hear that there is also a working alternative ie Eircom from your previous post.

SaKuRa wrote: »
    What type of modem are people using that are having this problem?

Cisco EPC2425.

According to this thread there was a recent firmware update for the ciscos,which could be causing the problem? but then again if people are using other cable modems and having simialr problems it does seem unlikely :/

Yeah I thought it might be all down to using the old Motorola ones,cross that off the list...

Yeah I thought it might be all down to using the old Motorola ones,cross that off the list...

& its not just happening to people in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

If anyone is interested in how UPC is connected to the rest of the net:

Goto https://www.peeringdb.com
    login/password is guest/guest
    Then go to https://www.peeringdb.com/private/participant_view.php?id=346

docmol wrote: »
    Not just a dublin speedtest problem. My pings to the uk gaming servers I use went from 25ms => 200ms+ on Saturday. Unplayable! When I hijack my neghbours 1mb Eircom connection (with their permission) I get 45ms!

See my test results (what I was saying in my earlier post).

Dublin

537695449.png

Galway
    537695874.png

Limerick
    537699311.png

London
    537700540.png

Paris
    537701497.png

Dublin Again
    537703086.png

From that, it certainly could be assumed that the problem lies with speedtest, and not UPC.

However, I'm now wondering if it is a UPC problem, related to a specific routing to servers based in Dublin and/or servers that require UPC route through a particular Dublin node?

Agree docmol,its good to hear that there is also a working alternative ie Eircom from your previous post.

I wouldn't call Eircom a good working alterative. Their tech support is imo the worst by a country mile. The reason I'm now with UPC is documented on another thread but it boils down to 9 months of lies/incompetence on eircoms part. My neighbours line is fine at 1 meg, I was paying for 3 meg and getting crazy latencies. They wouldn't even aknowledge the problem. They told me that until I dragged my computer downstairs and plugged into router they wouldn't log a call, even when I told them my ping to the router was 1ms, and used tracert to identify the bottlenecks. At least the guy in UPC was proffesional and courteous, he called me back when he said he would and arrainged an engineer callout as fast as he could. I hope UPC sort this out because before Saturday I was delighted with the service. I may however mail UPC tech support with a link to this thread if no-one objects. I'll hold off mailing them untill tomorrow afternoon, if anyone objects please post.
    PS Mods, is mailing a link to this thread ok? PM me if not.

• Advertisement

From that, it certainly could be assumed that the problem lies with speedtest, and not UPC.

However, I'm now wondering if it is a UPC problem, related to a specific routing to servers based in Dublin and/or servers that require UPC route through a particular Dublin node?

Thats a valid question.

Have a go at the UPC very own speedtest as well.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/snel_internet/speedtest/

For me its showing 9.6mb download speed.

Advertisement