Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Read their small print as well,it pretty much says UPC have no responsibilty for whatever level of service you get at the end of the day,so win/win for UPC,supply a ****e service and still get paid,so this got me thinking,if they want the business we the customers should draw up a similar contract for UPC to sign to outline a guideline we expect on basic service standards and they get penalised if these are not achieved.
    eg outage of over 2hrs per day,waiting on "customer services" for over 10mins on the phone,service people not turning up,bad quality of connection etc = credit to our accounts,the only way to deal with issues like these with big companies is to hit their bottomline,then they will put proper procedures into place.
    Maybe this is something the regulator could assist on?

BTW connection still good here,and engineer due in a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

538988879.png
    Hi all, the problem seems to be resolved. Just got a call from UPC tech to see if everything was ok and was tomorrows engineer call-out still required. Ran the above speedtest and told him it wasn't. There seems to be a bit of UPC bashing going on (maybe guilty myself) but all in all, if the problem stays fixed, I don't think they did that badly. Reported problem on Saturday and resolved last night (for me anyway) They had no problem booking an engineer and took my word for pings/speeds etc. without the nightmare rigmarole that eircom tried to put me through on numerous occasions. While this is my first time ringing UPC support I didn't have the bad experience other posters seem to have had and found them polite and professional. If this is the level of service I will be getting in the future I'll be quiet happy with it, and glad I left eircom. Is everyone else sorted too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

so far so good. (touch wood).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Mine seems fine. Lets hope to god its fixed once and for all.

The only thing I'm very unhappy about is the way they seemed to deny there was a problem, which there clearly was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

T-b0n3 wrote: »

The only thing I'm very unhappy about is the way they seemed to deny there was a problem, which there clearly was!

Mine seems ok now too, if they knew about this they could send an email or letter or something to customes even a simple radio/tv add :mad:

Let hope it stays good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

539019669.png

Hehe free in a hostel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

539016840.png

seems ok in dublin 8 too. Plenty of people have been through the ringer with upc, and if their customer service is improving its about bloody time.
    Saying sorry is something a child learns, obviously upc had bad parents...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Haha, haven't you been saying that every day though ?
    "ooh it seems to be ok now"
    "oh wait, wait; no it's not"
    "ooh it's working again"
    ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carragherisgod

To be fair to UPC, their broadband is in fact second to none when it's working. It's not even when it goes wrong that annoys most of us. It's the fact they say nothing is wrong that gets up my rear end!!

If it's fixed I better retract my colorful email I sent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

pixelburp wrote: »
    Haha, haven't you been saying that every day though ?
    "ooh it seems to be ok now"
    "oh wait, wait; no it's not"
    "ooh it's working again"
    ;):D

Yea I have but hopefully after what docmol said , and the fact that it has never been working past 12pm, lets hope this time is different :D

EDIT/// TOO LATE ITS GONE AGAIN!!!! AHHH 1.10pm ish! SUPER SIGH! =[

• Advertisement

I miss eircom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

539100008.png

Engy just been and BB was perfect,he changed a splitter to some sort of boosting type.I aplogised for the call out as the connection had been bad the last few days,and I didnt know if it was going to stay good,like it has for the last 24hrs so i didnt know wheter to cancel call out or not..

About the UPC bashing,the problem is really due to the lack of communication,users believe that they have to resign themselves to a crap service forever and UPC does nothing to indicate that there is a temporary problem or problem at all,if most people knew this was going to be a short lived problem they could live with it.
    When the service is working well its the best,but customer care was the absolute worst,the thoughts of having to ring 1908 is sickening,i was a broken man after 6 weeks of 2 or 3 daily calls last december to change connection to a new house.Sky cable box dissapeared after one engineer visit,rang 8 times about this to get a project leader,to be told they will ring back that day,never heard anything ever again,and only once in 6 weeks did one person apologise.
    But I must say recently i got through quickly and they did what they promised.

539124172.png on 20 Mbs package.
    Problem still with in D8. upc can go to hell:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Doesnt appear to be any pattern to it if this is the case? More just a collection of bad connections not a routing or national issue.

I would advise giving them a call and seeing if the modems levels are ok? Any segmentation due on your line and test with ethernet direct connection. Also if you could do a -t ping to google while on the phone with them it may shed some light but appears you may need a engineer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Last night I managed to log on to about 3 pages all night!!

I tried another laptop that's connect via ethernet and it was perfect. What ended up making a difference was I closed my torrent client, after that my internet was much much better.

Last night I managed to log on to about 3 pages all night!!

I tried another laptop that's connect via ethernet and it was perfect. What ended up making a difference was I closed my torrent client, after that my internet was much much better.

Well upc are known to throttle torrents, its the same for me when i have utorrent open,browsing becomes a problem,but i have rarely used it since switching to upc.

Edit : 539157794.png

connection seems ok for the moment,but did act up again around 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

People you need to do a tracert to the server you're trying to get to, that way we'll know if it's the routing issue I identified earlier on or if it's something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Got a missed call and voicemail from the engineer this morning saying that they had identified a fault that was not 'local to your house so your connection is not the problem so there is no point us calling out tomorrow'.

I can logon to my Windows Home Server remotely with no issues so it suggests my connection is ok at the moment. Will test for sure when I get home later on. Here's hoping they get the problem sorted quick smart.

539169730.png

A minor improvement without any torrent client running but the ping is still all over the shop.

A vast improvement for me today. Been on a variety of COD4 servers most of the morning and all pinging fine. If I do a command promt ping test to my site I get a few timouts but it's nothing major. Speedtest has me at 14. oin a 20meg line. Still room for improvement but getting better.

• Advertisement

Its been up and down all day for me,fine for a few hours then crap,fine then crap etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gone crap for me again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nope, it's as bad as it ever was for me. I think I'm going to have to get the NTL account number from the landlord somehow & give off to them.

539277797.png

As mentioned above, by and large I have had a decent service, but what angers is that when something is demonstrably wrong with the connection, you get silence & denial. Or worse, you get bullsh*t advice from bored tech support; unplugging routers and the like. I mean come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

Poor for me right now too on a supposed 20mb line.

539297619.png

ditto...539309057.png on 20 Mbs (nothing else running)..............................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Connection lasted for 5 minutes after I got home and then went again - no internet connection at all on NTL for me at the moment. And they're after cancelling the engineer due tomorrow and it'll be next Friday before I can take the time off work to be home for an engineer. These lads ain't just graduates of clown school, they wrote the poxy syllabus.

Connection lasted for 5 minutes after I got home and then went again - no internet connection at all on NTL for me at the moment. And they're after cancelling the engineer due tomorrow and it'll be next Friday before I can take the time off work to be home for an engineer. These lads ain't just graduates of clown school, they wrote the poxy syllabus.
    ............and we pay them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

This is terrible. I'm ringing them tomorrow. Every day for the past 10 days I've been getting terrible speed.
    539334399.png
    I'm only getting a quarter of my 20mb package and the ping is ridiculously high

Gone poor for me again ... sigh.

• Advertisement

539366700.png

I may just cry now

Advertisement