Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

We need as many people as possible to ring UPC and tell them of this problem. They'll only do something if they see many people are having a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Skittle wrote: »
    We need as many people as possible to ring UPC and tell them of this problem. They'll only do something if they see many people are having a problem.

I agree that EVERYONE here needs to call and get it looked at but its NOT a national issue. Some people who were on the start of the thread now say everything is great now, others that its completely off and others that its up and down? Hell even one found out it was his router!

If its a national or even a greater Dub area issue then everyone would see consistently the same issues... this is not.
    Simply put its a collection of examples of individual issues and that means if anyone wants it solved calling UPC complaining of a national issue with slow speeds will result in absolutely nothing. Bottom line is everyone needs to call them if they want their individual issues sorted out .... posting here every time it goes up or down will do nothing.

Call them, get the testing done and possibly an engineer... do something about it rather than saying others should cal about "this issue" because thats just wishful thinking that if there is a national issue and "everyone else" calls them you wont. I am sorry but there is no national problem and each person needs to call themselves to get something moving

Who mentioned anything about a "national problem"? I'm talking about the handful of people here that have the damn problem! Oh and I did call them, gave them all my tracert information. They said that they'd "look into it". They never offered me an engineer as the UPC operator could see that there was no problem at my end and that it was a problem on their end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

hightower1 wrote: »
    I agree that EVERYONE here needs to call and get it looked at but its NOT a national issue. Some people who were on the start of the thread now say everything is great now, others that its completely off and others that its up and down? Hell even one found out it was his router!

If its a national or even a greater Dub area issue then everyone would see consistently the same issues... this is not.
    Simply put its a collection of examples of individual issues and that means if anyone wants it solved calling UPC complaining of a national issue with slow speeds will result in absolutely nothing. Bottom line is everyone needs to call them if they want their individual issues sorted out .... posting here every time it goes up or down will do nothing.

Call them, get the testing done and possibly an engineer... do something about it rather than saying others should cal about "this issue" because thats just wishful thinking that if there is a national issue and "everyone else" calls them you wont. I am sorry but there is no national problem and each person needs to call themselves to get something moving

Yea it was me that found out it was the router. But strangely enough it works fine with router before 12pm and late at night etc when everyone else says its working. So honestly don't think its my routers fault. But then again during the day when its slow for everyone, all I do is take my router out of the equation and its working. So I'm totally confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Quilly

yea,h my internet goes in the morning time and doesn't come back until like 6 o clock in the evening. Eventually it was fixed when the 2 polish guys working on the wires swaped 1 wire for another this evening and it's all back to decent internet again. Hopefully it wont dissapear again tomorrow morning ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Quilly

539366700.png

I may just cry now

539459108.png

my 20mb line HA !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

539481880.png

Happy enough with Up and down speeds, however the pings are killing us here for gaming.
    Pings going over to europe at present are desperate and are effecting Warcraft badly and causing major hastle in this household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Terrible connection for gaming right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Getting movement out of upc over something that is obviously a customer support issue is akin to asking a goldfish to speak Swahili....ambitious, but ultimately doomed to failure.

Skittle wrote: »
    tell them of this problem..

....As in one problem.... of what? A few customers having slow speeds with differing effects? Thats just ridiculous. Every network has customers getting slow speeds for differing reasons that does not mean that they are all due to the same reasons. "This problem" indicates that they are all related which they clearly are not at this stage.

Not to be sounding confrontational but this thread is actually not helping people now, its apparent its a collection of individual poor connection issues and not a mass problem. People still seem to believe that it is and will just complain and not call because "oh everyone else will let them know" .... that wont actually help them and just delay getting it fixed. Each case here is individual and needs to be treated accordingly in order to get everyone receiving what they are paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

539496006.pngon a 20 Mbs connection.
    Inordinately high ping seems to be universal.
    Erratic speeds at different times of the day rules out vanilla peak time congestion. Add to this a lack of straight answers from upc and that is what we all have in common.
    I do agree that we should ALL call individually and not leave it up to "someone else" to make the effort.

....As in one problem.... of what? A few customers having slow speeds with differing effects? Thats just ridiculous. Every network has customers getting slow speeds for differing reasons that does not mean that they are all due to the same reasons. "This problem" indicates that they are all related which they clearly are not at this stage.

Not to be sounding confrontational but this thread is actually not helping people now, its apparent its a collection of individual poor connection issues and not a mass problem. People still seem to believe that it is and will just complain and not call because "oh everyone else will let them know" .... that wont actually help them and just delay getting it fixed. Each case here is individual and needs to be treated accordingly in order to get everyone receiving what they are paying for.

I agree, but a lot of people here or complaining about the same problem, ie at certain times most peoples net seems to work and then everyone seems to lose it around the same time which is odd. Like before 12pm ish most works, then between 430 and 530 ish seems to work and then late at night ie after 12am seems to work again. This to me would suggest a lot of people having the same issue.

But I completely agree that people cant just sit back and hope some one else will ring or hope it will magically fix its self.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Hightower if you are not into gaming online it wont bother you too much,but the pings have gone from a playable 40-50ms to uk and western european game servers to 120-200ms(unplayable) since last saturday,I have been with UPC/NTL/Cablelink for years and never had this ping issue,and in looking at the speedtest results on this thread it seems to be a widespread new problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

SaKuRa wrote: »
    Hightower if you are not into gaming online it wont bother you too much,but the pings have gone from a playable 40-50ms to uk and western european game servers to 120-200ms(unplayable) since last saturday,I have been with UPC/NTL/Cablelink for years and never had this ping issue,and in looking at the speedtest results on this thread it seems to be a widespread new problem.

Agreed this is a new problem and it seems to be across the whole network.

539508818.png
    539510195.png
    539510981.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea it was me that found out it was the router. But strangely enough it works fine with router before 12pm and late at night etc when everyone else says its working. So honestly don't think its my routers fault. But then again during the day when its slow for everyone, all I do is take my router out of the equation and its working. So I'm totally confused!

Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless routers visible to your pc operating on the same channel as your router? If so try to pick a channel not used by others around you.

Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless routers visible to your pc operating on the same channel as your router? If so try to pick a channel not used by others around you.

I'm plugged in via ethernet cable so that shouldn't matter should it?

But high pings can be a result of poor db levels in the house, own equipment, contention OR and area fault. If it was a widespread issue all the gamers even in the greater Dublin area would be on here (well at least the ones that use boards) Right now there are only approx 20 people reporting this here , that hardly constitutes a widespread issue?

Even one guy in Cork noticed this same "pattern" but if thats the case it would stand to reason that not only Dublin gamers but all gamers from all over the country on boards would be posting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

I'm in Cork too and I've noticed the same thing happening in the last week or so. No chance of gaming, there is a lag before a website loads, pings are terrible to some places, ok to others.

Right now my pings are 350ms to google.com, 110ms to boards.ie
    Earlier it was about 260 to google, 14ms to boards.
    It just seems to be completely random.

My connection was perfect since i've had it up until now.
    Always had low reasonably low pings, always had my full download bandwidth.

The noise levels etc. on my line are the same as they have always been. No change there at all.

I've a friend here in Cork on UPC too, and he's having exactly the same problem with his connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'm plugged in via ethernet cable so that shouldn't matter should it?
    But then again during the day when its slow for everyone, all I do is take my router out of the equation and its working.

But didn't you say you're having problems between certain hours while wireless?
    You resort to wired connection to solve this...right?

But didn't you say you're having problems between certain hours while wireless?
    You resort to wired connection to solve this...right?

No sorry I'm always wired. But wired directly to my modem and I don't have any problems (not that I've noticed so far anyway!), but wired to my router and I've been having problems since Saturday afternoon (need to allow rest of the family access to the net so have to use router when they want net).

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

No sorry I'm always wired. But wired directly to my modem and I don't have any problems (not that I've noticed so far anyway!), but wired to my router and I've been having problems since Saturday afternoon (need to allow rest of the family access to the net so have to use router when they want net).

Hope that makes sense.

does your modem only have one ethernet port?

Ranicand wrote: »
    Agreed this is a new problem and it seems to be across the whole network.

539508818.png
    539510195.png
    539510981.png

The problem comes and goes sort it out UPC for **** sake.

539576211.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mandrake01

Burgo wrote: »
    I miss eircom :(
    Get a hold of yourself man :P

Am I glad to find this thread! I'm in the same boat here in Lucan.
    I've had this 20mb line for about 6 weeks, and I've been singing NTL's praises for a 48 hour setup time and perfect stability. After a year of severe eircom pish (I wont expand on that), I was over the moon with UPC.

But then, I suffered a connection drop around 1am on Wednesday night (thurs morn), lasted about an hour and I figured it's just maintenance. Then the same thing happened on Thursday and Friday, again around 1am. I decided I'd have to call them up, and figured it would have to wait until Monday.
    On Saturday night, about 11:30pm, I was happilly gaming away. Pinging UK servers at a respectable 24ms, then my ping shot to 160ish, where it stayed until I packed in for the night.
    I ran a few tests and discerned it was a routing issue, confirmed it with a friend working as a magnet boffin, and I felt prepped for the impending 1908 affair.
    Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that NTL actually had someone to answer phones at the weekends. Even if they slept through their 3 week induction, it's still a better service than other local ISPs.
    I was talking to a girl called Sarah. She basically told me there was nothing wrong, made it evident she didnt really understand the subject of our conversation, then instructed me to turn off my router for 30 minutes, after which point, it would request a new "boot file". Needless to say, there were several minutes of total silence on that call. I made my excuses and hung up.
    I called Monday and got Eamon, a helpful enough guy. I was chuffed that I was talking to someone who could speak pooter jargon and seemed to have a clue. But all his tests were showing the all clear. He promised to have someone run another test and call me back later (open til 10pm, well done again). So obviously he called while I was in the bathroom, from a number that wouldnt accept a return call, and 9:45pm is no time to start dialling 1908 again. Roll on tuesday...
    I called up again, spend 30 minutes on hold (I actually napped) before hearing the tone change and an announcment that I was number 2 in the queue, then the tone changed again and I was back in the Hold Pool. 10 mins more passed, a guy with an indian accent answered and let me get through my whole story before asking the dreaded question "So, you have a problem with your broadband, yes?" and then re-routing my call into another Hold Pool. A few more mins passed before I got an answer.
    This time I was talking to Damian, another helpful lad. Understood the lingo, and capable of reading case notes. But even though I've pointed out over and over and over that this is a routing problem, this guy is still going down the road of congestion problems, comparing the reduction of my 20mb connection to 5mb, to his own 3mb's occasional drops. That call lasted a total of 55 minutes.

I've been told an engineer wont come out, because all tests are fine at their end. I also cannot escalate the case without either an engineer call, or negative test results. But that's really ok, he wouldnt be able to fix anything from here. There is a "data team" in place for dealing with WAN routing, but these agents obviously arent in regular contact with them, and they'd hardly have a customer helpdesk for that.
    There was an offer made to put me through to the Premium PC Support line, I declined.

So our working plan now, is for me to restart the auld router every now and then, run a million pointless virus and spyware scans, troubleshoot my own network again and basically monitor my connection for a few days and report back with my findings. (Should I attach an invoice for my time?)

It did seem to be clear at night and crap all day, but I've only been keeping notes since last night, here are my results (I'll leave out specifics):

23:00 - similar fault as described by most here.
    00:15 - all good
    05:00 - all good
    16:45 - all good
    21:00 - turned to poo
    23:30 - still poo
    01:00 - all good again
    now - still looking pretty good

So that seems to fit with "the pattern" described midway through this mighty thread. Trouble from morning to night, with a gratuitous interlude in the middle (I may have missed the first portion of trouble today, but it was there yesterday morning for sure).

Someone suggested earlier in this thread, that we all freeze our direct debits after an engineer comes out. I've actually already done this, no engie required. I'm not paying for 20mb, if I'm only receiving an instable 5-7mb connection with massive latencies. Sure I can browse the net, I could do that in McDonalds for free, but I pay for speed here so I can game. I've been told a warning letter is prepped to be sent out, but one of these agents has assured me that I have at least a few days before any action will be taken.

As I mentioned, I was thrilled with the service until Saturday and all I want is for it to return to normal. I agree that everyone has to call up and complain though. I've been informed that UPC have people monitoring the network 24/7, and analysts piecing fault complaints together to find bottlenecks. Calling them will help them sort it out, remember, it all looks perfectly fine from their end (cos they're still testing noise and power levels on your line). However, be aware that if you have this problem, the person you're talking to will only understand the problem if they have an aptitude for the subject, they probably wont have the training, and certainly wont be in a position to provide remedy. But they still need to be told so they can log the fault.

This post has gotten way too long. If anyone has read this far, thanks for letting me vent. It's a comfort to have proof it's not just my connection being ghey, let's hope they get to the bottom of it soon. I've lost a week of gaming nights and spent far too much time listening to recordings telling me of UPC's awards for customer service, but a stable 20mb connection will be worth it if it can be restored.

Mandrake01 wrote: »

I've had this 20mb line for about 6 weeks, and I've been singing NTL's praises for a 48 hour setup time and perfect stability. After a year of severe eircom pish (I wont expand on that), I was over the moon with UPC.

But then, I suffered a connection drop around 1am on Wednesday night (thurs morn), lasted about an hour and I figured it's just maintenance. Then the same thing happened on Thursday and Friday, again around 1am. I decided I'd have to call them up, and figured it would have to wait until Monday.
    On Saturday night, about 11:30pm, I was happilly gaming away. Pinging UK servers at a respectable 24ms, then my ping shot to 160ish, where it stayed until I packed in for the night.
    I ran a few tests and discerned it was a routing issue, confirmed it with a friend working as a magnet boffin, and I felt prepped for the impending 1908 affair.
    Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that NTL actually had someone to answer phones at the weekends. Even if they slept through their 3 week induction, it's still a better service than other local ISPs.
    I was talking to a girl called Sarah. She basically told me there was nothing wrong, made it evident she didnt really understand the subject of our conversation, then instructed me to turn off my router for 30 minutes, after which point, it would request a new "boot file". Needless to say, there were several minutes of total silence on that call. I made my excuses and hung up.
    I called Monday and got Eamon, a helpful enough guy. I was chuffed that I was talking to someone who could speak pooter jargon and seemed to have a clue. But all his tests were showing the all clear. He promised to have someone run another test and call me back later (open til 10pm, well done again). So obviously he called while I was in the bathroom, from a number that wouldnt accept a return call, and 9:45pm is no time to start dialling 1908 again. Roll on tuesday...
    I called up again, spend 30 minutes on hold (I actually napped) before hearing the tone change and an announcment that I was number 2 in the queue, then the tone changed again and I was back in the Hold Pool. 10 mins more passed, a guy with an indian accent answered and let me get through my whole story before asking the dreaded question "So, you have a problem with your broadband, yes?" and then re-routing my call into another Hold Pool. A few more mins passed before I got an answer.
    This time I was talking to Damian, another helpful lad. Understood the lingo, and capable of reading case notes. But even though I've pointed out over and over and over that this is a routing problem, this guy is still going down the road of congestion problems, comparing the reduction of my 20mb connection to 5mb, to his own 3mb's occasional drops. That call lasted a total of 55 minutes.

I've been told an engineer wont come out, because all tests are fine at their end. I also cannot escalate the case without either an engineer call, or negative test results. But that's really ok, he wouldnt be able to fix anything from here. There is a "data team" in place for dealing with WAN routing, but these agents obviously arent in regular contact with them, and they'd hardly have a customer helpdesk for that.
    There was an offer made to put me through to the Premium PC Support line, I declined.

So our working plan now, is for me to restart the auld router every now and then, run a million pointless virus and spyware scans, troubleshoot my own network again and basically monitor my connection for a few days and report back with my findings. (Should I attach an invoice for my time?)

It did seem to be clear at night and crap all day, but I've only been keeping notes since last night, here are my results (I'll leave out specifics):

So that seems to fit with "the pattern" described midway through this mighty thread. Trouble from morning to night, with a gratuitous interlude in the middle (I may have missed the first portion of trouble today, but it was there yesterday morning for sure).

Someone suggested earlier in this thread, that we all freeze our direct debits after an engineer comes out. I've actually already done this, no engie required. I'm not paying for 20mb, if I'm only receiving an instable 5-7mb connection with massive latencies. Sure I can browse the net, I could do that in McDonalds for free, but I pay for speed here so I can game. I've been told a warning letter is prepped to be sent out, but one of these agents has assured me that I have at least a few days before any action will be taken.

As I mentioned, I was thrilled with the service until Saturday and all I want is for it to return to normal. I agree that everyone has to call up and complain though. I've been informed that UPC have people monitoring the network 24/7, and analysts piecing fault complaints together to find bottlenecks. Calling them will help them sort it out, remember, it all looks perfectly fine from their end (cos they're still testing noise and power levels on your line). However, be aware that the person you're talking to will only understand the problem if they have an aptitude for the subject, they probably wont have the training, and certainly wont be in a position to provide remedy. But they still need to be told so they can log the fault.

This post has gotten way too long. If anyone has read this far, thanks for letting me vent. It's a comfort to have proof it's not just my connection being ghey, let's hope they get to the bottom of it soon. I've lost a week of gaming nights and spent far too much time listening to recordings telling me of UPC's awards for customer service, but a stable 20mb connection will be worth it if it can be restored.

I read the lot and I don't have the heart to ring UPC and explain this story over and over again.

It is an issue on their end and it seems an uphill task to get them to acknowledge it even.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But high pings can be a result of poor db levels in the house, own equipment, contention OR and area fault. If it was a widespread issue all the gamers even in the greater Dublin area would be on here (well at least the ones that use boards) Right now there are only approx 20 people reporting this here , that hardly constitutes a widespread issue?

It can be many things, but the fact that our traceroutes are showing a UPC hop (in Austria it seems) spiking pings, this points quite clearly to the provider as being the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

As I mentioned, I was thrilled with the service until Saturday and all I want is for it to return to normal. I agree that everyone has to call up and complain though. I've been informed that UPC have people monitoring the network 24/7, and analysts piecing fault complaints together to find bottlenecks. Calling them will help them sort it out, remember, it all looks perfectly fine from their end (cos they're still testing noise and power levels on your line). However, be aware that if you have this problem, the person you're talking to will only understand the problem if they have an aptitude for the subject, they probably wont have the training, and certainly wont be in a position to provide remedy. But they still need to be told so they can log the fault.

Great post. You've summed up much of what I experienced over the past few months with UPc (small c for customer) and the almost nightly degradation in performance. The 10Mb down 1Mb up package I was on regularly performed at 2.5 Mb down and 0.01 Mb up with high pings and constant drop outs.

Countless calls to 1908 and broadband support, many modem reboots, new ethernet cables (wired connection only), 2 new modems, at least four engineer visits, line checks and tests later (that made no difference at all) we reached a point where they determined there was no problem at their end and that it was my pc, despite a laptop showing exactly the same degraded performance.

What bugged me was they were never around when the problem was actually occurring. If it happens at 11p.m. on a Tuesday night, what are you going to find the following Saturday morning?

I was told that the only option open was to raise an official complaint. No choice really. Complaints were very professional and courteous and followed up regularly, a massive improvement over the technical support in as far as you felt you were being taken seriously. After a few weeks of sending speedtest and tracert results (highlighting timed out connections in upc.nl servers) the connection was finally back to normal. It lasted for about two weeks then performance degraded again, with the most noticable problem for me being Sunday nights, prime surf time...

I've since downgraded my broadband package to the 3Mb service (said no thanks to the 10 euro downgrade fee) and its been working as well if not better at peak times as the 10Mb one I was paying for. Why pay for a service you are not getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Im on a wired connection in dublin on 20meg and its been [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] all week. Very high Pings ang getting between 6-8 meg down.... gaming has been a nightmare

It seems that a lot of people are reporting a problem. But as hightower pointed out we are not sure if it's all the same problem. There's not much point in doing speedtests etc. as this will only confirm that you have a problem, we need to try and confirm the cause of the problem.

So if you think you have a problem, find the name/ip address of the server you are trying to connect too and then going into a DOS window.
    type: tracert <ip address> and post your results here.

If you are having the same routing problem you should see your ping jump massively around hop 4. See my previous post on this thread with examples of my tracert's.

If you have the tracert's you can then circumvent most of the support initial problem solving, for example I said that I can get a good speedtest when I test against the Limerick server but not the Dublin one, so that completely blew the "it must be a problem with your modem etc." line of investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

For the past week been suffering dns issues at least a few times a day. our normal server ping have trippled. Many calls to ntl and the usual its yoru equipment bla bla bla. No resolve.
    ===
    tracert shows it goes to uk and sometimes onto america before going to the real destination. Constent ping issues with some servers download speed doesnt seem effected so can only be there network and routing.

I have found some people who ntl rang and advised we are upgrading the service this should make it more stable, it seems since there upgrades they have made it unstable, now a week or so still no resolve. Ringing ntl helped for about 24hrs then it was back again, Something about v mode was used on there side which did resolve for a small period of time.

Ping are not stable on majority of servers but can find uk severs with ping 16-28 our normal server fmj-squad.com where 30-40 now its 130 - 180 same with a load of common servers, Gameservers.ie due to ntl routing get no where near what you would expect from a server in dublin. People on bt and eircom get ping of 16-28 on gameservers. and on ntl we seem to get 60-180 its so random and not stable in anyway.

• Advertisement

Burgo wrote: »
    does your modem only have one ethernet port?

Unfortunately yes.

Also just a speedtest. Everything perfect. With router plugged in. As always is in the morning.

Advertisement