Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

539901597.png

Seems alright now though there was a bad period about 12.30 - 1 PM.
    Then the Dublin test was crap, but testing to Galway gave perfect results...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

539901597.png

Seems alright now though there was a bad period about 12.30 - 1 PM.
    Then the Dublin test was crap, but testing to Galway gave perfect results...

Still rubbish here in Dublin 24. (20mb)

539910057.png

Weird, and I didn't change any settings or anything. Irony is, I'm not even a gamer. Its the download speed that gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

mccreesj wrote: »
    Still rubbish here in Dublin 24. (20mb)

539910057.png

539957141.png
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mandrake01

Skittle wrote: »
    So if you think you have a problem, find the name/ip address of the server you are trying to connect too and then going into a DOS window.
    type: tracert <ip address> and post your results here.
    Tracert results for me always show a single hop. I use a cisco modem and have a mate who is a cisco engineer, and he'd never seen this before. I've tried downloading other trace programs, with the same test results, a single high latency hop when having problems, and a single regular ping hop when things are running smoothly.
    But I'm not alone, there's a thread about it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649994

15:20 now, all clear in Lucan. I was up til about 5am this morning, the connection was fine from about 1am until when I finally went to bed. Not sure what it's been like here earlier today, but as usual, I'm hoping it's sorted.

@cdb, sorry to hear about your trek through ISP hell, but (as I'm sure you know) that doesnt sound related to this issue. This fault appeared on Saturday night, and does not include the symptom of complete loss of connectivity, just bandwidth and latency degradation. It would affect any connection, not just the 10mb and 20mb, so if your 3mb has been stable this week, consider yourself lucky to be excluded. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

This issue was flagged with a senior engineer and I'm told it's now resolved.
    Here's hoping.

539980217.png in Dublin 8

Lets hope Canaboid is right. Touching every piece of wood in sight (my head included).;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carragherisgod

Canaboid wrote: »
    This issue was flagged with a senior engineer and I'm told it's now resolved.
    Here's hoping.

May I be so bold as to ask who told you this? What I mean is if it was a UPC employee then fine but if it was some bloke you met in the pub I'd be a wee bit sceptical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

May I be so bold as to ask who told you this? What I mean is if it was a UPC employee then fine but if it was some bloke you met in the pub I'd be a wee bit sceptical :)

I doubt the issue would be 'flagged' with anyone that doesn't work in UPC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

What if it was a UPC employee that I met in the Pub ?

• Advertisement

A journalistic answer e.g. "an informed source" would make me happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carragherisgod

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

It seems to be a few issues over the last 2 weeks now getting worse, nice upgrade to make the system stable pity didnt advise people tut tut.

we play cod4 server a lot for the past few years never any real issues. untill now.

89.101.162.129 ntl ireland
    84.116.238.2 at provider ntl
    213.46.160.89 ntl links interconnecting europe >>from here ping has doubled
    213.46.174.34 ntl links and loopback uk
    213.46.174.78 ntl links and loopback uk
    213.46.174.6 ntl links and loopback uk
    4.69.139.106 us leve3 coms >> lol linked as london server in us
    217.163.26.223 destination.

clearly we can see ntl is controling the routing of these packets and not going intended direct to server.
    as On a progressive scan I can see ntl loopback server causing random high pings up to 300 for few ms causing more delay. End result is world travel and bad ping.

Issue is not with all servers but wish they fix there routing issues so can get back to some proper gaming. Most likely due to these routing issues also the cause of there dns issues every now and then for the past week.

Tried there help support several people several times cant say we made any progress just wish they would listen to the facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm well I don't want to jinx it, but my speeds have also gone back to something a little more like normal. That dodgy hop on the traceroute seems to have settled down:

Tracing route to rte.ie [89.207.56.140]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms xxxxxxx
    2 8 ms 10 ms 7 ms xxxxxxxxx
    3 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms 089-101-162001.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.1]
    4 27 ms 7 ms 8 ms 84.116.238.2
    5 12 ms 8 ms 14 ms 84.116.238.22
    6 11 ms 100 ms 8 ms deg-gw-1.rte.ie [193.242.111.42]
    7 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms www.rte.ie [89.207.56.140]

540095475.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

remember your in ireland well most of ye, spedtest site is in america, you will get random and untrustworthy results. My best result is
    393349281.png
    lol

also even trace to speedtest site you see below massive ping near end.

1584a85a571c0a4b.bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

540111653.png

540121223.png

Seems to be ok at the moment, but I'm not holding my breath on it staying that way. (10 meg obviously)

Positive vibes, folks;)

just did a tracert to multiplay.co.uk, as usual, single hop 34ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Back to normal now for me. D16.
    540134982.png

• Advertisement

seems ok still in dublin 8
    540147670.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For god sake, nobody touch anything! Don't even breath on your routers! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

pixelburp wrote: »
    For god sake, nobody touch anything! Don't even breath on your routers! ;)

Yes don't touch a thing.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Mines looking good too :D

Skittle wrote: »
    Mines looking good too :D

540211424.png

I0 meg package please keep it that way UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

540214678.png

Mine is crap, anyone any recommendations on anything I can do to speed it up?

540214678.png

Mine is crap, anyone any recommendations on anything I can do to speed it up?

Fine here 540224344.png

Are you connected to your modem or are you going through a wireless router?

If you are going through a wireless router you may be on a bad channel that one of the people that live near you are using.

Connect straight into the modem.

If you are connect into the modem already well then you are having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I don't remember my ping on speedtest being this good. This is tested over my wireless network usually its around mid 20's
    540233143.png

DingDong wrote: »
    I don't remember my ping on speedtest being this good. This is tested over my wireless network usually its around mid 20's
    540233143.png

10 meg pack here please UPC keep this up please.540262125.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mccreesj wrote: »
    Also noticed that over the past few weeks, the "enet" and "recv" lights on my ntl:250 modem are constantly flashing.
    Same thing happening with my modem. Anyone know what the modem is doing, what is it receiving? All the activity is causing my modem and router to heat up like mad.

Advertisement