Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds on UPC all week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Called up UPC during the weekend there and they sorted it all out although im still not getting over 16mbps on the 20mb connection the ping has stabilized and everything appears well again.

They ended up contacting whoever managed the lines for them but didn't actually tell me what was wrong with it.

541286491.png

Should I continue to complain if the above is my average speed with them?

Best speed I ever got with them was this
    511276254.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

541290097.png on 20 Mbs connection in Dublin 8.

If you're on a 20 Mbs connection and getting 8 average..you're not even getting half what you're paying for. Keep at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

fix on ntl was initated completed and required the modem not router to be rebooted, everyone should be back to normal pings at least what they where before. once done for speed test find a local server like heatnet in dublin and download see what the throughput is on the line this will give a correct download speed.

sourceforge usualy a good way to find a good big file to download via heatnet server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

My ping & speeds seem to be back to normal, for the last few days anyway. Everyone else's seem to be okay??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

yup..all fine in dublin 8..touch wood:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Seems to be good again in Newbridge (10meg)

542126169.png:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mine also seem to have been back to normal over the last 2 days (perhaps even a little better, ping wise):

542139331.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mine also seem to have been back to normal over the last 2 days (perhaps even a little better, ping wise):

542139331.png

542154547.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

542159091.png
    seems to have gone back to normal since friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Daithi Thorn

Originally Posted by mccreesj viewpost.gif
    Also noticed that over the past few weeks, the "enet" and "recv" lights on my ntl:250 modem are constantly flashing.
    squared wrote: »
    Same thing happening with my modem. Anyone know what the modem is doing, what is it receiving? All the activity is causing my modem and router to heat up like mad.

Same happening with mine - lights flashing all the time!!! Any idea??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

542295681.png

Been like this all evening (though slightly lower down speed earlier).

I'll be happy should it stay like this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

my download speed seems to be fine when i'm downloading but my internet keeps dropping out? Just dies for a few seconds every few minutes. Anyone else getting this from UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

pretty pissed off with UPC atm, every night im getting stats like this for the past week.

542315633.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

542316810.png

Mines still going good thankfully.

Tea_Bag - that seriously looks like it could be an issue with your line. A ping that high is madness. Have you been in contact with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mccreesj

Originally Posted by mccreesj viewpost.gif
    Also noticed that over the past few weeks, the "enet" and "recv" lights on my ntl:250 modem are constantly flashing.

Same happening with mine - lights flashing all the time!!! Any idea??

Haven't a clue. I might email tech support about it (don't think I could face the phones!)

The heat off the modem and router is pretty intense since it began.

Are you using an ntl:250 modem too?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Daithi Thorn

Have a motorola surfboard modem with netgear router... thing isn't getting hot though but both the modem and router flashing even if all WiFi devices are off......

when logged into the router the only thing attached to it is the laptop so there is no other device downloading....

haven't a clue..........

On a 20M broadband getting the following

542333004.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Tea_Bag - that seriously looks like it could be an issue with your line. A ping that high is madness. Have you been in contact with them?

yeah, they said they're having no issues on their side and that it must be my PC or something. obviously its bull**** cause it only messes up at night.

542631130.png

it'll get better in an hour gain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mccreesj wrote: »
    Haven't a clue. I might email tech support about it (don't think I could face the phones!)

Same problem here with ntl:250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mccreesj wrote: »

Same problem here with ntl:250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Have a motorola surfboard modem with netgear router... thing isn't getting hot though but both the modem and router flashing even if all WiFi devices are off......

when logged into the router the only thing attached to it is the laptop so there is no other device downloading....

haven't a clue..........

On a 20M broadband getting the following

I the same boat myself ,,20mb lots of activity flashing with all connected units off ! ...checked wifi router logs to see if anyone was hacking = no , changed "Key" etc. Still the same ?

Are they testing lines and link backs for "Interactive TV " .etc now they are rolling out HD TV.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Having the same issue myself, but I put it down to congestion on the lines.

On my 20Mb line, the speeds are fine up until ~8pm, then they drop by about 60% (usually will get between 6 and 9Mb/s). Not really an issue for me, as I never need more than 6 or 9Mb/s in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

It's fine here... superfast!

542920816.png

20mb in Dublin 24

Through Belkin Router - Wireless:
    543073387.png
    543073780.png

Through Belkin Router - Wired:
    543074412.png
    543075163.png

Direct connection to ntl:250 modem - Wired:
    543076357.png
    543078243.png

Anyone have any idea why my wireless would be so poor? I've changed the broadcast channel to one that no other wifi networks in my area are using but still no joy. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

mccreesj are you standing next to the router when checking the speeds. It could be either the wireless router or the device(laptop?) your connecting with thats the problem.

DingDong wrote: »
    mccreesj are you standing next to the router when checking the speeds. It could be either the wireless router or the device(laptop?) your connecting with thats the problem.

I'm sitting at the desk where the "home pc" is, along with the modem and router.

I've never had a problem before the last few weeks, used to do speedtests on my Macbook over wifi when I was up in my room and would be getting pings of ~25ms and download speeds of around 17mb/s.

I wonder if it's something to do with my ntl:250 modem behaving strangely (enet and recv lights constantly flickering, even when all other devices are switched off)?

Added:

Here's a speedtest I did a few weeks ago from my room:
    533421834.png

If your getting good speeds when connected direct to the modem/router it rules out either of them being the problem(beside the wifi funtion of the router). Is it only when you do speedtest on your laptop you have the problem?.When you download a file off heanet what sort of speed do you get on laptop?. Any new wireless devices in your home?

If your getting good speeds when connected direct to the modem/router it rules out either of them being the problem(beside the wifi funtion of the router). Is it only when you do speedtest on your laptop you have the problem?.When you download a file off heanet what sort of speed do you get on laptop?.

It's definitely only the wifi. Could it be that someone has got wireless broadband installed near me and their router is broadcasting the same channel, thus causing interference?

Can you direct me towards a file on heanet that would be suitable for testing my download?

It's not just the speed test either. Generally, web pages can be slow to download and downloads from Rapidshare were getting about 500kb/s whereas I'd normally be getting 2mb/s.

I've recently installed a wireless card to the desktop pc in the house.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/backtrack/bt3-final.iso
    Have you tried different channels 1,6,11?
    Download NetStumbler to see if there is any new networks in your area.
    Try disable the wireless card in the pc, I don't think its the problem but its worth a try.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/backtrack/bt3-final.iso
    Have you tried different channels 1,6,11?
    Download NetStumbler to see if there is any new networks in your area.
    Try disable the wireless card in the pc, I don't think its the problem but its worth a try.

Well the PC is off so I doubt that's doing anything at the minute.

In the router utility, I'm after changing the channel to 1, disabled "Broadcast SSID" and disabled "802.11e QoS"

Wired Connection (Router):
    543136517.png

Wireless Connection (Router):
    543137474.png

I think we have accomplished something! :D

I was getting 1.9mb/s download on the file from heatnet, on both wired and wireless connection.

• Advertisement

Back to crap again over wireless.

543673163.png

I'll cycle through all the channels later and see if it improves.

Advertisement