Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman 16% off SCAM

Options
  • 09-08-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Went into Harvey Normans yesterday to get 3 items. Portable phone, Basic Stereo & coffee maker.

Prices marked on the signs above the products

Phone (siemens twin set) €59
    Portable CD player €109
    Coffee Maker (morphy richards) €79

Signs everywhere stating 16% off EVERYTHING. Sales person confirms 16% is off all marked prices.

At till, prices are as follows

Phone 89.99
    CD player 129.99
    Coffee maker 89.99

Till person claims that discount is off till prices and not off the prices marked on signs around the store.

Total and utter scam.

Went to DID, same phone system = €49, similar CD player €99, coffee maker €79. And Harvey Norman wonder why they are losing money & customers!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You left with out the items right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

calex71 wrote: »
    You left with out the items right ?

Of course - went to DID and got what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Any one got a pic of these signs, usually they would be €89.99 crossed out now €59.

Have to agree over prices, I wouldn't usually go for a big name brand but at middle to value levels prices seem a good 20% more then other stores. (DID, Sound store etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Know a bloke who works in Harvey's in Nutgrove and he told me they won't be there much longer anyway's. Rent is killing them. Agree with the OP total scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

darc wrote: »
    Went into Harvey Normans

thats the problem there. no offence OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Was in Harveys in Naas and was looking at getting a tv. Went in last week and it was €899. Went in this week seeing their 16% off and noticed the same tv for €889. Aparently they are nowing for doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

This is crazy carry on - this insults our intelligence, do they not think that people are shopping around and checking prices and being more conscious these days of these kind of ploys?
    I remember seeing this in Irish shops 2-3 years ago, when I was kitting out my place, but HN are doing themselves no good by this and pushing themselves out of the market. If they do close stores in Ireland, they really only have themselves to blame for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Their advertising is enough to put me off them anyway/

but,yeah in was in there about a year ago and noticed they didn't seem at all competitive in their electrical goods price-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Their advertising is enough to put me off them anyway/

but,yeah in was in there about a year ago and noticed they didn't seem at all competitive in their electrical goods price-wise.

I think that they just pretend to be competitive, but they never were in reality. I go in to one of their shops every now and again, and always come out empty-handed. Our local one-off hardware/electrical store is cheaper than them.

Last time that I went in there was to see how much they charged for a Canon ink cartridge, then went off to Argos to buy one €4 cheaper.

Only the landlords would miss HN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Was in Harveys in Naas and was looking at getting a tv. Went in last week and it was €899. Went in this week seeing their 16% off and noticed the same tv for €889.

You should report it to the NCA, who can investigate and fine shops for this practice. They'll ask HN to prove that the price was 16% higher than the sale price, for a certain period of time (think it's 6 weeks) prior to the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

H. Normans are expensive buggers anyway.
    Bought a 40 inch LED Samsung TV for €1,200 few days ago.
    30 - just 30 seconds walk away in their own store, they wanted to sell it to me at the 16% discount price of €1,599 - told them to get stuffed.

They say their prices can't be beaten - yes the fcuk they can!

Sooner they are gone the better. No wonder their business is down a reported 40% this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

jor el wrote: »
    You should report it to the NCA, who can investigate and fine shops for this practice. They'll ask HN to prove that the price was 16% higher than the sale price, for a certain period of time (think it's 6 weeks) prior to the sale.

I believe they can get around this restriction by calling it a "Special Offer" rather than a "Sale".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,193 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This crowd seem to have a sale every week. Loud shouting, bright lights and sneaky practices.

Shops who actually have a proper sale get so much more respect from me.

e.g Item last week was €1000, 20% off sale, now €800.

Advertisement