Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another band shot

• 09-08-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I was very hush hush the other day when looking for help with lighting. I had a band shoot lined up and originally it was to be completely under wraps until the album release but since the lads did up a blog with one picture I thought I might share it with you.

I havent uploaded it anywhere yet so I will give you a link tot he blog www.bkinane.blogspot.com The location was the Guinness Storehouse and we were granted access to take shots during business hours which meant equipment was to be minimal. I used 3 flashes with transmitters and used the lads girlfriends as what someone earlier called voice activated tripods.

The rest of the pictures will most likely be held until the album and marketing is released, date is not sure yet, I am looking forward to showing them off. This was my first proper shoot and my first location and I am delighted with the results. I think the one you will see here is around halfway down in my list of top shots, keeping the best until last, but I really like it. I hope you guys do too. I do feel the vignette is a bit strong at the edges but this was a quick edit for the lads to enter into the blog and I may calm that down.

I just want to say thanks to all that gave me advice and Steve for helping me out with the lighting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Congrats Rachel, sounds like a nice shoot. Look forward to seeing more.

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A very fine shot. Indeed, can't wait to see the remainder of the set. Agree on the vignetting btw. I don't see a strong influence of the three flashes but i'm guessing that this was the intent - more subtle than harsh, and thus has worked well. Great stuff altogether. Roll on album launch. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I love that shot Rachel. Good job, looking forward to the rest
    The Knightess(if there is such a thing) in shining armour came to save the day. Rachel Fox is a great photographer

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

That particular shot only had one flash to the right to tone down the harsh shadows, its was more natural light for that, the rest of the shots are indoors and you can see how the light was worked with those.

Well I have to say I was very flattered with the write up but I don't know if I'd call myself a knightess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Congrats Rachel - Pic look fab!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I dont know if anyone will have noticed but the guy with the long dark hair is actually the groom in my sig below this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Looks a bit soft Rachel? Hard to tell at that resoution though.

.. and which guy with the long hair :D

the long black hair, sitting down.

It is a little soft at the top but the bottom is quite sharp. I was at the wall across the street with the camera upside down on the ground to get the angle I was looking for so this is why the top would be softer as it was the furthest away. I have a few wonky versions of this shot needless to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

best of luck with it , I'd get confused with 2 flashes

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    best of luck with it , I'd get confused with 2 flashes

It's amazing how quickly you can figure it out, when you know what you want. By the end of the day I even knew which flash was best for what also as they were 3 different flashes although I didnt do well at working the canon flash I'm afraid, I couldnt get it on manual.

What were you using to meter?

sineadw wrote: »
    What were you using to meter?

I didnt use a light meter and I operated on manual with autofocus for the most part and manual focus for some.

I finally got around to uploading myself and did some sharpening, a little less in the vignette, I think this is a bit better.

3806914285_7e8b9579ba.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The image doesn't sit comfortably with me. I find the full window and the cropped window on the other side to throw it off keel a bit. I undertsand you wanted to use the bench in the shot and there was nothing you could do to move that to balance it out. I just find the windows distracting. I can't stop looking at them and wanting to know whats on the board/poster in the window on the right.
    The exposure and control of the flash seems to be good. I can't help but feel the 4 guys were all told to pose differently to each other too. It doesn't seem natural when I look at it.
    I'm not a C&C guru. I've found myself coming back to look at the image a few times and those few things just keep jumping out at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Maybe Im a little late ...sincerely though "bands against a wall" is utterly cliched and a bit of a running joke (Dont mean to be harsh here so no offence meant)

Just beware ya dont end up here ;):D

http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/hall_detail.php?dd_keyid=89

Trust me , this site is worth a click as it is side splittingly funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I finally got around to uploading myself and did some sharpening, a little less in the vignette, I think this is a bit better.

the wall images look a little flat to me, it just looks like an average overcast day. I'd have probably increased the power on the flashes and made the shadows a bit darker or else have shot it earlier during sunrise or at dusk when the low light makes things pop a little more

I've done a couple of shoots up there, not sure why bands want to go there so much, far too many big stone walls for my liking

here's one i did up there earlier in the year
    xerosun088.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

well done on the write up!
    sineadw wrote: »
    Looks a bit soft Rachel? Hard to tell at that resoution though.

Faces look very soft to me too though!

dot org I actually got a shot whilst lying on the ground with the lads above me.

The lads wanted a pic with the cobble street so we went for that, like I said many more better been kept until last. I uploaded some high edits on my flickr, very edited individual shots, just something I had in mind before the shoot so wanted to include it as well, the lads seem to like them, heres a link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/28166835@N06/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Don't worry too much about the concept of the cliched shot. Google abbey road images - there are only 3,700,000 of that iconic shot (even numbers no less, which leaves me suspicious - they could have gone +1 at least - more believable) (actually that is only the google count so don't trust that to be reality :) ). Anyway, no reason why another shouldn't be added if that's what the client or photographer wants. I'd take an abbey road zebra crossing shot if the opportunity presented itself.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Anyway, no reason why another shouldn't be added if that's what the client or photographer wants. I'd take an abbey road zebra crossing shot if the opportunity presented itself.

I agree, I think it is all about what suits the bands style etc. There are some pictures I took inside that just blow me away, and the lads although I knew quite quickly that they would not use them, as did they, since it would not suit their style of music, i.e. one kinda boyband style shot.

This one is top of the pile for one of the lads and middle for others and me, each to their own, we were there so why not shoot it. Never even knew the name of the road though, its just across from where we parked:o I prefer the shots from inside to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

The poses are a little "rock'n'roll" for me alright but I can appreciate that that might be what the band wanted.
    If it was me I would have cropped/framed it differently. I find it a bit distracting as it is, the emphasis seems to be more on the background than the band. Too much empty space up top and too tight in landscape. The vignette is too close to the band members I feel, especially taking away from the guy on the right.

Just my view, and the band seem delighted with it which is the main thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about the concept of the cliched shot. .

Good point, my favorite album cover is the Ramones first, 4 guys against a wall - sure someone did it before them - the trick is to do it well and stamp a unique style on to it.
    Personally I'd go with what you yourself feal is best - you'll never get everyone to agree here on whats perfect , coz perfection in photography is unobtainable - just my thoughts

thebaz wrote: »
    Good point, my favorite album cover is the Ramones first, 4 guys against a wall - sure someone did it before them - the trick is to do it well and stamp a unique style on to it

Very true, the gap above would also be the spot to put the bands name on it, I didnt have the logo at the time of uploading so went without.

Advertisement