Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Image Hosting Census

• 09-08-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well I'm just intrigued to know what's the most popular image hoster on here and why...I'm noticing alot more 800px click able images in the random photo thread suggesting it's pix.ie but i'd like to know what the people who don't post in there use and see which is most popular

Which image hoster do you mainly use? 71 votes

Pix.ie
    0%
    Flickr.com
    42%
    CabaalttcometRbleche solaratrishw78phogBFassassinGhostInTheRuinsNisiotrooneysineadwosheadduffaramaPigwidgeonMarcusstick-danAnCatDubhTallonconair01AnimalRights 30 votes
    Photobucket.com
    54%
    StephengandalfKazujonilhgKintarō HattorijoolsveerPaulwKaromarameiredr strangelovecarSkittleBalfey1972melekalikimakaArciphelBallymanMr. GrievesdecimalPaddy@CIRLCosmo K 39 votes
    Other(Please Specify)
    2%
    CabanSailm_s_nixon 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Photobucket.com
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Well I'm just intrigued to know what's the most popular image hoster on here and why...I'm noticing alot more 800px click able images in the random photo thread suggesting it's pix.ie but i'd like to know what the people who don't post in there use and see which is most popular

use both pix.ie and flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Flickr.com
    use both pix.ie and flickr

Me too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Photobucket.com
    I used photobucket for yeeears, but the general layout + ads there bug me to no end so I started using flickr.
    I have my own website which I should probably be using, but I'm too lazy to install a gallery/make thumbnails for each picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Flickr.com
    I use both,But now only use pix.ie for most uploads flickr for a few,Just choose the one you mainly use

Edit:
    I have my own website which I should probably be using, but I'm too lazy to install a gallery/make thumbnails for each picture.

Gallery 2 ;)

Does it all for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Photobucket.com
    Ricky91t wrote: »

Gallery 2 ;)

Does it all for you!

Ohh, thanks!
    I used to use coppermine back in the day when I was running websites for 2 actors, but I remember by brain pretty much imploding when it came to installing them. Must give Gallery 2 a try :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I use Pixie and Flickr equally. Pix is the best for sharing on a forum alright. Each have their advantages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Can I vote for two?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Other(Please Specify)
    I mainly use Photobucket for putting up all sorts of stuff. Have used it for years, but went there when whatever I was using before that closed down. I then sent it all across rather than lose it.

I keep my Pix.ie account more for quality stuff.

So it's a Quantity vs Quality thing.

Never really got into Flickr & don't have an account there. Pix.ie is definitely my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Flickr.com
    Also favoured pixie over flickr.. Maybe it's just that it seems idiot proof i dunno...I just like the feel of it.. Everything seems to be where it should be and it's a hell of a lot more personal and there is none of that crap, our grop thinks your photo is great can we add it to our group...That'd just annoy me endlessly. Plus look what pixie does by getting it's members passes and all. Has to be pixie all the way. Wish more would follow suit as i loath going to flickr to look at some of you lots photographs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭phog

Flickr.com
    I use Pix only but that was because I needed a yahoo email addy to creat a flickr account and I hate using yahoo for some reason.

So far I'm happy enough with pix. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

My photography is what I call 'good snapshots'. I post photos to the web for sharing with my friends & family.

I use Picasa. It is very simple, the picasa app. does good (but not advanced, no levels/curves) photo editing, great for managing 000's of pics on my PC & showing what I've uploaded & what I havent, etc. Also has a backup facility which is v handy.

DISADVANTAGES
    - Image editor not good enough for serious photo editing.
    - Tagging functionality is poor

- works with RAWs but slow & is not editor/convertor is not good enough for getting max pic quality from them .

ADVANTAGES
    - Simple to use
    - photo editor is quite good & v quick
    - You can restrict who gets to view what pics

GREAT FOR
    - Family/friends/fun,

NOT GREAT FOR
    - Fine art or any kind of 'serious' photography

Cheers,

FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Photobucket.com
    I do like the slideshow feature on flickr and browsing through photos and groups that way

Pixie is good the way it has the full size images and 800 width

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Flickr.com
    Pix.ie for me.
    Was using Photobucket but seemed slow and full of annoying ads. Started using pix.ie because it seemed everyone in the photography forum was using it and it's Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Photobucket.com
    Guys later in the week I'm going to program a webpage for giving you a 800px wide image from your flickr images. Busy at the moment but I'll share it with you once I put it together...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Photobucket.com
    I use flickr ... pro account ... for the backup of all my photos alone its well worth it ... this is the most relaiable backup you can get ...

I may set up a pix.ie account , i like the look of that site ? is there a pay option ? or is it all free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Photobucket.com
    I use Flickr.

Only setup an account a few months ago as I was designing a website for a photographer and wanted a way of her being able to organise, upload and rearrange her photos on the site without having to go into the technical web stuff. The API tools are there with Flickr to integrate it with your website so she just uploads to the flickr account and does the organising in there.

Setup my own account then a few days after and I must say I find it great! The pro account seems good value so might go for that if I keep hitting my free upload capacity. What it has over pix.ie for me is the Uploadr software which takes all the hassle out of uploading shots, and the API tools that let you integrate with other pages and interconnect.

I'd like to support the Irish site and the photographic standard there looks great but would need it to match the above Flickr tools. May open a basic "best of" account so I can comment on yer great shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I use my own hosting for clients and my blog, pix.ie for bits and pieces I want to show off and flickr.com for photographs I want to keep private.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Flickr.com
    I use pix.ie for shots I really like or want to share with the general public.
    Then I use Microsoft skydrive to share shots with friends and family both in ROI and in the states. I have found Skydrive is easier for my wifes and my parents to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I Like Tinypic- as a short time hoster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Flickr.com
    I use pix.ie because I prefer the people over there, but I also upload to flickr and I have a free pro account and I like the added back-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JesterWX

How do pix.ie and flickr look upon shots taken at gigs? I'm talking about major ones now like U2, AC/DC, Bruce etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Flickr.com
    pixie without hesitation. Tried Flickr a few years ago but couldn't warm to it. Pixie has the family feel, nice bunch of people, super support and very very easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Photobucket.com
    I use flickr. I want to use pix.ie but I just can't face manually moving all my stuff over there.

Advertisement