Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL upgraded me to some super €80 a month package and charged me €20 for doing so

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ComReg expects each service provider to implement a clear, transparent and policy for dealing with customer usage above any set thresholds.

Where is the policy detailed? Options for UPC themselves are listed but there is no policy as to how the customer will be informed that they are exceeding a limit that they have been told elsewhere does not exist!
    This has nothing to do with FUP?

It has everything to do with FUP at least in my view:) It is one of the options open to UPC if you breach the FUP

Not that I agree with this sales term "unlimited" but also having a FUP , it really is marketing white lies but its not illegal, there is not legal precedent, Comreg seem happy if these guidelines are being used and ultimately I think relying on a company to have good sales conscience instead of relying on ones own common sense is a foolish error at best.

I agree totally with everything here except your use of the word 'white'. It is far too generous:) Comreg should simply outlaw this use of the word unlimited' or any variation thereof.

Quite simply UPC have dictatorial tendencies to put it kindly and someone needs to stand up to them.

By the way the make reference several times in their terms and conditions to charges that are available on the 'price list'
    “Charges” means charges to be paid by you for the Services calculated according to
    the prices and rates set out in our Price Lists or otherwise notified to you

Can anyone find this on the site?

And consider this! UPC charge 12.50 if you do not meet your direct debit. I am dubious as to whether people are made aware of this when they sign up for dd. Now UPC have 500,000 customers so if only 5% do not meet the direct debit per billing period UPC make a nice handy sum of over €300,000 every two months! and also bear in mind that you are paying them in advance thus giving them a considerable interest free loan - so you are being penalised for not giving them credit!!! Nice work if you can get it.

And yet another thought for you if your monthly bill with UPC is €50 euros then over the course of your two monthly billing period on average you are loaning them €50. Mulitply that by 500,000 and its a nice lot of interest free money that they have access to:rolleyes: Of course other service companies avail of this too but it galls me that they penalise people for missing a payment which is for services not yet rendered!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

willbur wrote: »
    hi this is what NTL HAVE ON THERE WEB SITE IF YOU APPLY FOR A 20 MEG LINE :cool:

"
    What do I get?

• Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues. Click here for details.
    • 20Mb downstream; 1.5Mb upstream
    • 24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
    • No telephone line required
    • No usage limit
    • Up to 15 email addresses
    • 300MB web space
    • FREE wireless router
    NOTICE " NO USAGE LIMIT

I HAVE A 20MEG LINE AND PHONE PACKAGE ONLY BUT NO TV WITH NTL I HAVE SAT WITH SKY FOR THE SPORTS AND THIS WORKS BETTER FOR ME;)

Lewis Carroll could not have invented this fair usage nonsense!:)
    Alice: It would be so nice if something would make sense for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Zakalwe wrote: »
    Flatmate, but she's pretty computer illiterate. All she does is stream radio shows through her laptop.

That acutally can take lot of bandwidth if its constantly on. You dont realise this but it does.

There lot of bandwidth monitor programs (some are free), its good to use one of them. They may not be accurate but atleast they give a fair idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

dub45 wrote: »
    So the fair usage document refers the would be user to the site and the site refers the would be user to the document? How exactly is that complying with Comreg's requirements?

Haha, laughable isn't it. I went looking for this fair usage limit myself, even having to install Adobe reader, but could i for the life of me find out what this fair usage limit was. They send you to there, and then send you back again. Like something straight out of a bad comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

So far as I know, the only reason 250 gigs is accepted as the fair usage amount is that is what is quoted on the letters upc send out when you bypass it. I haven't gotten a letter yet but like el dude I've seen nothing specifying the exact limit on upc's gloriously self promoting website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

What is the download allowance for the 10mb package?

OP are you planning to stick with chrorus ntl or are you changing ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

mehmeh12 wrote: »

Was wondering that myself actually, am thinking of downgrading and that's why iwent looking for info on their fair usage policy.

Also, probably not the thread to be asking really, so apologies. But they advertise 300mb of webspace. What does that mean? Does it mean i could create my own website and create a domain and host it from there? How do i even access this webspace??

I miss the old Chorus, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

OP are you planning to stick with chrorus ntl or are you changing ISP?

10mb and 20mb are the same - 20gb fair usage policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

coldfire1x wrote: »
    10mb and 20mb are the same - 20gb fair usage policy.

You mean 250 GB right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If it was 20 upc wouldn't have a single customer...maybe a long term goal of theirs.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

You mean 250 GB right?
    yep 250gb, same FUP on 10mbps and 20mbps packages.

Advertisement