Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

character references

Options
  • 09-08-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

ok just wondering who people are getting to go as character references for their new fire arms applications.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Local GP and a friend of mine who is a barrister

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Lads, couldn't be simpler. Pass them around at the gunclub meeting. Just make sure you don't sign your own by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Anyone who is NOT in the Garda.

I'll get my wife and son to do mine for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

clivej wrote: »
    Anyone who is NOT in the Garda.

I'll get my wife and son to do mine for me. :D

it doesnt say you cant!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

it doesnt say you cant!!!;)
    Yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Doctor and local solicitor for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Doctor and local solicitor for me.

Are we still living in a society where the word of a solicitor etc carries more "weight" than an "ordinary working man" ? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Bank manager and td,........not.

Are we still living in a society where the word of a solicitor etc carries more "weight" than an "ordinary working man" ? :mad:
    You'd wonder alright

Thought it would be a debased currency by now. :rolleyes:

But seriously, these are 'referees' rather than references. These people may never be contacted and quite honestlly the 'pass them around the club' idea has merit.

For one, it's people who know you shoot rather than some random 'outsider', secondly it's people who will know the most about you in a shooting context and thirdly it's the simplest. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Passing them around in the club means that your referees are people who've been checked out and approved for gun ownership by the Gardai in the past. Hardly the sort of reference a Superintendent would frown at is it now ? Teachers, publicans, taxidrivers, childcare workers etc etc would fall in this category of vetted people as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

My wife and a friend who I know the last 22 years. Local FO says thats grand, its to attest to your good character.

I havent used a solicitor since 2004 and that was a conveyance regarding a house.

My Doctor doesnt know me that well?

As I am bringing firearms into the family environment who is the best person to comment if required????

(and she had to give the nod anyway)

As I am bringing firearms into the family environment who is the best person to comment if required????

(and she had to give the nod anyway)
    Well put Cavan Shooter!

This is probably the most intelligent thing anybody has said on this forum all day. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

rrpc wrote: »
    This is probably the most intelligent thing anybody has said on this forum all day. :cool:

You must have missed my posts. :D

Nice one Cavan, I'll put her name on mine and my name on hers, it'll be just like signing the Marriage certificate again, only cheaper and less well dressed! :D:D

OK, Intelligent and useful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

G17 wrote: »
    You must have missed my posts. :D

Nice one Cavan, I'll put her name on mine and my name on hers, it'll be just like signing the Marriage certificate again, only cheaper and less well dressed! :D:D

Good job we dont have to reapply/ renew our marriage certs cause there would be alot of single people if you had to do this every year (or three) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just back from my FO who states that any one other than a family member will do as referee, just so keep it nice and not come back from the Super. So it's back to my shootimg buddy's now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

She told me my uncle would do for one, but il keep it out of the family anyway just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

In New Zealand they want one close relative/spouse and one person who is not a relative. Think the Barr trabunal recommended that for here but who knows if that is the requirement? Maybe there will be guidelines ... ???

BornToKill wrote: »
    In New Zealand they want one close relative/spouse and one person who is not a relative. Think the Barr trabunal recommended that for here but who knows if that is the requirement? Maybe there will be guidelines ... ???
    I think I actually quoted a section from the Barr Tribunal on that very subject some time ago.

Not allowing a family member as a referee seems very shortsighted and flies in the face of evidence that it is very useful. But as you say, we await guidance.

rrpc wrote: »
    I think I actually quoted a section from the Barr Tribunal on that very subject some time ago.

Not allowing a family member as a referee seems very shortsighted and flies in the face of evidence that it is very useful. But as you say, we await guidance.

from what I hear we will be waiting and waiting and waiting:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

from what I hear we will be waiting and waiting and waiting:mad:

What you said in regards to its to attest to your good character, is exactly what it is. Having a Garda sign it suggested that you are on a '1 to 1' base with the Garda, therefore questions would be asked... a testament to your good character would fall under the remit of a local publican who see's you at your best and worst. Hence why in years gone Local Publicans were generally our commissioners of oaths - ie people of status if you can believe that. A local Garda member suggested the local priest who I know is vegetarian

A neighbour and definatily not a relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

psomers wrote: »
    a testament to your good character would fall under the remit of a local publican who see's you at your best and worst. Hence why in years gone Local Publicans were generally our commissioners of oaths - ie people of status if you can believe that. A local Garda member suggested the local priest who I know is vegetarian

A neighbour and definatily not a relative.

All well and good if you're out for pints a few times a week, but with 3 small kids, the only people that ever see me are the missus, my work colleagues (don't mention my pastime to them) and my fellow club members the rare time I'm allowed out the front door to a match. I'm kinda fcuked if these are not permitted as references

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

bigred wrote: »
    All well and good if you're out for pints a few times a week, but with 3 small kids, the only people that ever see me are the missus, my work colleagues (don't mention my pastime to them) and my fellow club members the rare time I'm allowed out the front door to a match. I'm kinda fcuked if these are not permitted as references

Gun club would be permitted, as a chap said before that they would most probably have already submitted theirs. The only problem exists if 1 or more is refused....Sometimes it is better the devil that you don't know than the devils that you do! In your case how about the head mistress:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I will more than likely go with my boss, because I'm a psychotherapist and having her job title might look good, from the second I'm thinking of going with my GP or one of the doctors I work with. It terrible though in my opinion I'm just picking these people because of their Job titles, yes my boss is a psychotherapist too, and I have been going to the same GP for over 20 years.

The know me well, even with that I don't think the can really speak of me in terms of shooting especially as I just got my first licence this year. Their job titles might sound like they can offer a good description of my character, but really as a therapists myself I think it can be stated that you never really know everything about a person.

I did a little bit of digging on the net and here is what happens in UK

http://www.merseyside.police.uk/Docs/support/firearms/Form125.pdf

I'd say it will be the same. (then again who knows)

even if they take this line it aint the end of the world......is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Iv put down two guys from my club, they know me i know them simple as. Was into day talking to the local garda he could not believe the length of the new forms but as he said its pretty straight forward. Will be handing in my application for my 3 firearms tomorrow. Cant be bothered to wait for the recommendations to be passed down. If something needs changing ill hear it soon enough for my FO or here on boards :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

looks like it
    just look at what justice peter charlton said and how far ahern took his word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I was thinking of the 2 land owners who signed for my original, first cert.

I'd actually put down any person at all, that knows me personally, from refuse collector to doctor, manual worker to 'professional' - I mean what the hell difference should that make?

I live (in my mind) in an egalitarian society, and I'd trust my postman more than most of the local chamber of commerce, merchant class, shyster types round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm still being confused at being asked for these at all, since the DoJ told me that this wasn't going to be asked for from everyone, but only in rare circumstances for new applicants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i got a fella i work with and a fella i shoot with to do mine.

i recently went in with my forms to the gaurds and the fao hadnt even seen the new form! it was like war and peace i went in with:rolleyes:

i was even asked when they finished processing my forms could they use them for in station training purposes because no one has seen how to fill them out:( ud have thought they would have got training on what to do with them and what to look for before the letters where sent out:(

Advertisement