Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wtf happened to Kerrang!

• 09-08-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭

I was watching the tellybox the other day and seen an advert for 'Kerrang! 2009', the anuual compilation album. Well, my god, the stuff on it was as far removed from rock/metal as you can get. Metro Station was on it! Miley Cyrus' brother's band,ffs! Don't get me wrong, I admit to liking a few of their songs, but I really don't think they should be on Kerrang!

That's not snobbery, I just don't feel them or their ilk are Kerrang! material.

Than again, Kerrang!, Scuzz , etc have been going way too mainstream for a while now.

Would you guys watch these channels much, or read Kerrang!? Do you like how mainstream they've got, or would you like a return to the old days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Its all rubbish. Only decent one these days is MTV2 and that still has a lot of muck on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You're getting old therefore the kiddies like crap music. Tis the circle of life my friend.

(To be honest I also spotted the tracklist of this album..…facepalm!)

EDIT: Also stop watching those channels! :D Just use the likes of last.fm or myspace to get in to bands that you will actually listen to...or online radio stations...(I use a program called Radiosure, it's great! http://www.radiosure.com/)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

chin_grin wrote: »
    You're getting old therefore the kiddies like crap music. Tis the circle of life my friend.

(To be honest I also spotted the tracklist of this album..…facepalm!)

Ah yeah, I've turned into one of those 'back in my day' moaners!:P

It's not that I think the music is crap per se, it's just definetely more pop than rock, and if you can hear it on all the other channels anyway, why out them on a channel that's meant to be for rock/metal? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

nah its just crap. The middle ages were crap, the renaissance was better. Every so often you get a crap generation, decade, epoch or trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

kerrang has been shite for as far as i remeber. Psuedo rock like blink 182, kings of leon , metrostation, good charlotte etc. Its "Rawk" for 12 -15 year olds imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Karrang TV was one of the early things which cultivated my interest in Metal. The used actually play diverse SOAD, Metallica, Slayer, Satrycon etc.

Now its all Paramore, 30 Seconds to Mars, and MCR. Its not even worth watching anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Kerrang and to a lesser extent Scuzz have been **** for years. The only thing worth watching is digital darkside on Scuzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Back when I was a wee nipper, I used to buy Kerrang! magazine, and even back then it was all weak 'flavor of the month' bands with some good stuff thrown in by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Kerrang has always been mainsteam. I haven't read it in years but it serves a purpose - getting kids into bands of a hard rock/metalish persausion. Then they might go on and listen to harder stuff or they may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I lost what little faith I had in Kerrang when they listed Eminem as having the 40th greatest rock album of all time.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I haven't bought a metal mag in donkeys but way back then the likes of Metal Hammer was the only decent one available. Kerrang was a rock version of a pop mag!
    Kerrang TV is just a modern version of the old mag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Kerrang has been crap for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

kbannon wrote: »
    I haven't bought a metal mag in donkeys but way back then the likes of Metal Hammer was the only decent one available. Kerrang was a rock version of a pop mag!
    Kerrang TV is just a modern version of the old mag!

Metal Hammer the only decent one?

Terrorizer my friend, was always the best. Not just decent, but downright fantastic, lots of terrific articles detailing different subgenres of metal, their reviews were mostly spot-on and they covered a lot of underground and unsigned bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Classic Rock is the only music magazine I would consider buying. But at €11.90 for the latest issue I'm not bothering. Even though my favourite band are on the cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

greendom wrote: »
    Classic Rock is the only music magazine I would consider buying. But at €11.90 for the latest issue I'm not bothering. Even though my favourite band are on the cover

Would be the only music mag that I buy too, but I have to ask, where the hell did you see €11.90 being charged for the latest one? I have it here beside me and I paid €6.37 for it in Eason in Limerick.

Or was it one of the Prog specials you saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Back in the early 90's('90-'94) i bought kerrang weekly,still have a stack of them lying around somewhere. Every week it was Metallica/Maiden/Megadeth etc etc ie. proper metal!:P

Gave up buying it long ago,remember well being disgusted a few years back when i seen D12 on the cover!:eek:

RAW was pretty good as mags go,as was metal hammer and terroriser. Generally just buy classic rock now and tbh i don't watch either Kerrang or Scuzz unless it's an hour of classic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Kerrang the stations shíte.

MTV2's the only decent music station left and as has been said before, there's some awful dross on it.

Come back VH2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I haven't bought Kerrang since 1991, okay I am 44....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

those scuzz and kerragn channels are a ****in joke. they hav alll these lists of like top 50 rock songs ever or whatever and they manage to put the same bands and usually the same songs in every single ****ing list. aaaagggggghhhhhhh. gun and roses, every time. give me a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

All Kerrang do is take a list of the same songs they always play, arrange them in some order and call it some vague list hosted by some famous people. Seriously, every list they have has the same songs. I somehow doubt that the same collection of songs can be the greatest videos, of the greatest songs, by the greatest artists, from their greatest albums.

During Fall Out Boy's list of greatest whatever the fcuk, you could tell they didn't even like the songs that they "picked" because when Sweet Child of Mine was about to be played the guitarist said, "And here is one of the greatest riffs ever, after all metallica riffs, and pantera riffs, and black sabbath riffs..." and also later "Now at number whatever, where metallica should be, is Paramore".

The only time i've ever seen them play different stuff is when they had the 50 best metal artists once, and when they play the very newest videos. That's the only time i'll watch it.

The magazine and channel seem to be independant of each other, the magazine praises so many artists that are never on the channel. Mastodon won best video and i've never seen it on the damn station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would be the only music mag that I buy too, but I have to ask, where the hell did you see €11.90 being charged for the latest one? I have it here beside me and I paid €6.37 for it in Eason in Limerick.

Or was it one of the Prog specials you saw?

Yes it was a Prog special with Rush featured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I appeared in Kerrang back in the 80s with a few other Irish metal bands.

Guess its been on the slide since.:o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Metal Hammer the only decent one?

Terrorizer my friend, was always the best. Not just decent, but downright fantastic, lots of terrific articles detailing different subgenres of metal, their reviews were mostly spot-on and they covered a lot of underground and unsigned bands.
    This was back in the late 80s and very early 90s. Terrorizer started in 93 - around when I stopped buying metal mags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I remember one kerrang was doing that stupid best band etc of 1996 it probably was and it went as follows:

Best Band: Metallica
    Best Guitarist: Kirk Hammet
    Best Vocals: James Hetfield
    Best Bassist: Jason Newsted
    Best Drummer: Igor Cavelera

I thought that was very funny

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I use to watch kerrang alot yrs ago but now anymore,theres just too much mainstream muck on it these days,Scuzz is the same although you still do get the occasional classic on it and sometimes a decent new video too,very rare though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

greendom wrote: »
    Yes it was a Prog special with Rush featured

Just picked that up today, first time I'd seen one of the prog specials in the damn shop.

I grew up reading Kerrang, starting with issue 13. Eventually gave up on it not long after it went weekly. Classic Rock now is the magazine I remember Kerrang to be (and has a lot of the same journos!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I used to buy Rock Sound when it came out first, if not only for the free CD. The first year or so of that had some cracking bands on the CD sampler...
    Lost touch with it then, and would buy the very odd time, again, just for the CD. You would usually find 1 or 2 decent bands on it.
    Ones I came across and like as a result of it are Keith Caputo, Snowden, Unified Theory (former blind melon) and some Liberty 37 tracks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

adox wrote: »
    I appeared in Kerrang back in the 80s with a few other Irish metal bands.

Guess its been on the slide since.:o

Well come on, name names. I still have all my copies from March 1985 to mid 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Havent bought mags in years, raw used be my favorite.

The tv channels where ok when they 1st came out, but have been sliding for at least 5 years ... or longer. Used to love headbangers ball and into the pitt after it. Hands up who's old enough to remember Noisy Mothers :D was the only place i got to see videos back in the mid 90's as we were too poor to get sky :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kerrang (the channel) and Kerrand (the magazine) have been poor for a few years now. Bring back Headbangers Ball and Vanessa Warwick I say!

vanessa_w.jpg

Advertisement