Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wtf happened to Kerrang!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Bring back Mick Wall & Monsters of Rock on the original Sky channel! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I used to buy Rock Sound magazine, which was way better than Kerrang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

calex71 wrote: »
    Havent bought mags in years, raw used be my favorite.

The tv channels where ok when they 1st came out, but have been sliding for at least 5 years ... or longer. Used to love headbangers ball and into the pitt after it. Hands up who's old enough to remember Noisy Mothers :D was the only place i got to see videos back in the mid 90's as we were too poor to get sky :o

was that with "Krusher"?

Anyone around Limk might remember a copied video tape doing the rounds in the early 90s. loads of stuff taped off headbangers ball. all classic thrash stuff. mate had it, and met a few more who had copies of it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

malice_ wrote: »
    Kerrang (the channel) and Kerrand (the magazine) have been poor for a few years now. Bring back Headbangers Ball and Vanessa Warwick I say!

vanessa_w.jpg

'twas a great show, but man was she dumb. Some of the interviews she tried to hold were cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DeadSkin wrote: »
    'twas a great show, but man was she dumb. Some of the interviews she tried to hold were cringe.
    It has been years since I watched her interview anyone so you're most likely right :).

Here she is interviewing a very young looking Pantera in 1992:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The odd occasion I but a metal magazine its Terrorizer all the way but even they have been guilty of "flavour of the monthing" on occasion - Dragonforce on the cover once *cringes* but generally it is a brilliant publication.

The review section is factastic,the interviews always top notch and the monthly CD has exposed me to a huge amount of groups that I probably wouldnt have come across otherwise.

I used to buy Kerrang weekly but it started steadily going downhill with the advent of numetal.The had a 2 page spread on Insane Clown Pussies around this time with the 2 knob heads spouting about how great metal was and that their next album was going to have more guitars because "that sh1ts the sickest yo" Gimme a fackin break.

The only Metal tv show I watch is Headbangers Ball on MTV2 with Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed.

Metal is sorely under-represented in the media nowadays.The metal show with John Kenny on 2fm provided the soundtrack to my secondary school life as did the metal show that used to be on ITV at about 3.00 am on a Friday morning.

Now we have crap like Bullet for my Valentine in heavy rotation.

Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

nedtheshed wrote: »
    metal show that used to be on ITV at about 3.00 am on a Friday morning.

Sigh.

That was noisy mothers, with the legend Krusher , I knew i wasnt the only one who watched this :D

It was great , exposed me to bands like Kyuss and tonnes of others.
    He used to have his dog with him if i recall.

John Kenny's show was ace as he gave some good airtime to irish metal.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    the metal show that used to be on ITV at about 3.00 am on a Friday morning.

Raw Power?

Will watch that later malice_

That was noisy mothers, with the legend Krusher , I knew i wasnt the only one who watched this :D

It was great , exposed me to bands like Kyuss and tonnes of others.
    He used to have his dog with him if i recall.

John Kenny's show was ace as he gave some good airtime to irish metal.
    Raw Power?

Will watch that later malice_

You are both right.Started as Raw Power then changed to Noisy Mothers.

Here is Krusher's official site.

http://krusher.co.uk/

I lol'ed at the banner on the homepage.

"Jagermeister proud sponsers of Steve Krusher Joule"

A lone man sponsered by a highly potent alcohol.What a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remember taping Raw Power, and going off to bed. watching it the following morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shame Tommy Vance can't be brought back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I remember when Scuzz was brave and used to chance playing Hanoi Rocks videos before they were shunned and now its all Bowling for Soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used to love headbangers ball and into the pitt after it.
    Used to watch it religously. An hour or two of that beats a week longbroadcast of Kerrang & Scuzz. I remember when Scuzz first came out, it had decent metal on, but now there's only emo f**king bull**** on it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I was all excira getting Kerrang and Scuzz on my sky package after my dodgybox went and then when I turned it on I got the following in a row :eek:

Linkin Park
    Eminem
    That guy from "busted"s band.
    Fall out boy

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I stopped buying kerrapp! years ago

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curioisty, there are loads of metal internet radio stations - are there any metal TV stations?

bigbadcon wrote: »
    That guy from "busted"s band.

Fightstar aren't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

ADTR wrote: »

Yeah they get loads of slagging but when I actually sat down and listened to them they were pretty good.

Yeah they get loads of slagging but when I actually sat down and listened to them they were pretty good.

Totally. They definitely aren't close to being my favourite band, but I can appreciate their music compared to Busted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

mike65 wrote: »
    Well come on, name names. I still have all my copies from March 1985 to mid 1991

I played drums in a band called Kruger. Kerrang did a special on some Irish bands, maybe a 2 page spread and we were one of them. We appeared on a compilation album called Green Metal:o so it may have been all tied into that.

Would love to know if you have a copy of it. I reckon it was possibly around 85/86. The album itself was really poor tbh. Our two tracks were from a very early demo recorded on an 8 track and the sound is brutal(not in a good way:D). Its possibly the worst recording we ever did but its the only one still about.

Found a small article from the Sunday World about it but nothing online from Kerrang:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=349077762&albumID=0&imageID=6240667

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I played drums in a band called Kruger. Kerrang did a special on some Irish bands, maybe a 2 page spread and we were one of them. We appeared on a compilation album called Green Metal:o so it may have been all tied into that.

Would love to know if you have a copy of it. I reckon it was possibly around 85/86. The album itself was really poor tbh. Our two tracks were from a very early demo recorded on an 8 track and the sound is brutal(not in a good way:D). Its possibly the worst recording we ever did but its the only one still about.

Found a small article from the Sunday World about it but nothing online from Kerrang:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=349077762&albumID=0&imageID=6240667

That is cool dude.

A quick google there for past issues of Kerrang threw up this site, might be worth a look.

Edit: Shi-at, I'm getting serious flashbacks, going thru' back issues of Kerrang there. I must check me parents attic for the laugh see what I can find :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

That is cool dude.

A quick google there for past issues of Kerrang threw up this site, might be worth a look.

Edit: Shi-at, I'm getting serious flashbacks, going thru' back issues of Kerrang there. I must check me parents attic for the laugh see what I can find :)

Thanks for the link. Had a browse through the issues they had up and couldnt find anything.:(

Theres a few issues missing so maybe its one of those? I really should have kept a copy.

adox wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Had a browse through the issues they had up and couldnt find anything.:(

Theres a few issues missing so maybe its one of those? I really should have kept a copy.

No bother. If you knew who was on the cover of the issue it would narrow down a search.
    Ebay maybe worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Would I be right in saying that tv coverage of metal was actually way better before digital TV channels like Kerrang, Scuzz? I don't remember back that far...:P

Its not that it was better per se but there wernt as many bands about and metal and all its current subgenres werent nearly as marketable then as they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kbannon wrote: »
    Out of curioisty, there are loads of metal internet radio stations - are there any metal TV stations?
    Sky Digital 0110 Planet Rock is nice. Not heavy as such, but waaaay heavier than Kerrang or Scuzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Smash hits mag = smash hits of pop
    Kerrang mag = smash hits of metal
    NME mag = smash hits of indie

hot press = something for my dog to piss on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Kerrang mag = smash hits of metal
    More like smash hits of rock though,hardly any metal played on it now.

I just flicked on Scuzz earlier because of this thread, The were having a "Top 50 heaviest bands".

The played Nickelback at no.8 :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More like smash hits of rock though,hardly any metal played on it now.

I just flicked on Scuzz earlier because of this thread, The were having a "Top 50 heaviest bands".

The played Nickelback at no.8 :eek:
    Cannibal Corpse eat your heart out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

ADTR wrote: »

No they're not they're absolutely ****in terrible

Advertisement