Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Waterford - Return / Repair / Replacement Of Faulty LG Television:

Options
  • 09-08-2009 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

In November of 2008 I purchased an LG LCD television from the PC World branch in Waterford City and I have my credit card statement as proof of purchase.

All was fine up until recently when the TV developed a fault and now it will not display any video via it's two HDMI ports from a high-definition source such as my PS3 which I am using as a DVD player.

When I spoke to a member of staff at the branch I was informed that the shop does not take back tv's for repair and that I would have to contact either TechGuys on 0044 8700 100 484 or LG on 0044 8706075544 (both in the UK) to arrange to have a courier pick up the TV from my house and take it to England to carry out the repairs.

Are PC World correct in saying that it is I and not them that has to do this?

Shouldn't I be able to take back the TV to the shop and let them get on with the behind-the-scenes business of repairing it?

Has anyone else experience of something similar with PC World, and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and also for any info you might have.

Regards,

The Thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The_Thing wrote: »
    Are PC World correct in saying that it is I and not them that has to do this?
    They are correct, and to be honest your better off that it is that way because if you left the TV with them you would be waiting a very long time for them to send it off and for you to get it back. Just ring the numbers they gave and a courier will be sent out to collect it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They are not correct (contract is with PC City) but you'll do yourself a very big favor by calling LG directly then having PC City do it for you in terms of quality of service, updates and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

PC World are actually correct. DSG Retail Ltd as the vendor are required to deal with returns and repairs as per the Sale of Goods and supply and services act and by giving the number of their repair department (Techguys) (who will arrange to collect the TV and bring it away for repair) they are fulfilling their obligations under the act

• Registered Users Posts: 40,193 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Your contract is with PC World (where you bought the item).

It is up to them to sort it out. You are fully entitled to bring it back to the store.

Companies can't absolve themselves from responibility by saying "Well your contract is with another company in another country". If that was the case companies would just do this wholesale and never have to deal with aftersales.

You bought the telly in good faith from PC WORLD, PC WORLD are obliged to deal with you.

I have never dealth with either company, but the advice seems to be is to the ring the number anyways as you will probably get more joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Might not be anything wrong with the TV.....

Unplug your PS3 and TV from the wall and leave them off for a minute.

Then turn them on again. When turning on the PS3, flick the power switch on the back so its in stand-by, then hold your finger on the front power button till it beeps the second time (about 5 seconds or so).

Its not unheard of that the PS3 and the TV need to re-sync when connected via HDMI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Might not be anything wrong with the TV.....

Unplug your PS3 and TV from the wall and leave them off for a minute.

Then turn them on again. When turning on the PS3, flick the power switch on the back so its in stand-by, then hold your finger on the front power button till it beeps the second time (about 5 seconds or so).

Its not unheard of that the PS3 and the TV need to re-sync when connected via HDMI

OP, if you can hear audio when the PS3 is powering up but no video, then what witness said is probably the best way to go. Unless the TV is actually faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Boggles wrote: »
    Your contract is with PC World (where you bought the item).

It is up to them to sort it out. You are fully entitled to bring it back to the store.

Companies can't absolve themselves from responibility by saying "Well your contract is with another company in another country". If that was the case companies would just do this wholesale and never have to deal with aftersales.

You bought the telly in good faith from PC WORLD, PC WORLD are obliged to deal with you.

I have never dealth with either company, but the advice seems to be is to the ring the number anyways as you will probably get more joy.

As was said above, Techguys are the arm of PC World that actually deal with the returns procedure, so PC World are doing exactly what they should do by law.

As has also been said, despite your rights, you will almost certainly get far faster service by going to LG direct.

The_Thing wrote: »
    All was fine up until recently when the TV developed a fault and now it will not display any video via it's two HDMI ports from a high-definition source such as my PS3 which I am using as a DVD player.
    When plugging into the HDMI ports, did the devices you were trying to connect have their power on ?

You should try the below points first if you haven't before you go sending the TV back:
    • Try swapping the ends of the HDMI cable round ie. end that was connected to your PS3 put this to the TV and vice-versa.
    • Use a different HDMI cable (check TV owners manual for HDMI cable version).
    • Try another HDMI device.
    • Test your PS3 on another TV via HDMI (could be a fault with port on PS3)
    • Run the PS3 on your TV using the component cable and reset/check HDMI settings.
    • Update firmware on TV or did you already do this and it developed the fault after you ran the update. Same point applies to PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thanks for all the advice and feedback, folks.

As it turns out it is my HDMI cable that is at fault.

Here is what happened:

I had been watching the Guy Ritchie film RocknRolla via my PS3 when about halfway through the film the TV screen just went blank - as if it had had it's plug yanked out of the socket without turning it off first.

At first I think that it is the PS3 that is faulty as I had heard from a friend of mine that he had to have his sent back to SONY for repairs. However, when I hook up the PS3 to the same TV via the HDMI-to-3-Phono cable that came supplied with my PS3 I am able once again to see the video output from my PS3 - albeit in Standard Definition.

This then leads me to believe that the HDMI ports on the TV have failed for some reason - I never consider the fact that it is my cable that is at fault as in fact I had bought it from GameStop in City Square because it's packaging advertised it as being suitable for PS3, XBox 360, etc, etc.

Since my first post on Sunday last I have taken my PS3 and my GameStop cable to a friend's house to check them out when connected to his HD telly. We connect up the PS3 with a spare HDMI cable that he has and straight away we see that everything is OK - the PS3 is outputting video in High Definition. Next, we try my cable and while it does display a High Definition picture on his telly there is quite a lot of white-noise inteference on the display.

Later I tried out my friend's cable on my own TV and I am able to see that it was working fine all along.

Thanks again everyone. :D:D:D

Glad to hear you got sorted :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement