Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed the weirdest thing over the last while. When im driving with the dog in the car with the window down why do people (and im talking even adults) think its a normal thing to bark like a dog...at the dog?? :o

Im not messing..the latest was today where a motorcyclist, helmet on and all actually barked at my dog while i was driving. WTF? Its happened numerous times and i just cant for the life of me figure out why someone would do this..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Because they are feeling ruff :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

shqipshume wrote: »
    Because they are feeling ruff :o

lol.. I'll let that slide... but please helpful is more useful thankee.

I don't know why people do that. I have a friend who's a very tall broad guy, and the first time he came to my house (when I'd the dog) she went barking at him (as she does when someone new comes in/at the door). He barked back at her, loudly. She then went nuts, because he then became a bigger threat.
    I said 'why on earth would you bark at her?' and he said 'well that's what I do with my dog'. So tbh I don't know why some people do it. They seem to think it's a way of communicating, or others do it to antagonise dogs. Either way I wouldn't bark at a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

star-pants wrote: »
    lol.. I'll let that slide... but please helpful is more useful thankee.

I don't know why people do that. I have a friend who's a very tall broad guy, and the first time he came to my house (when I'd the dog) she went barking at him (as she does when someone new comes in/at the door). He barked back at her, loudly. She then went nuts, because he then became a bigger threat.
    I said 'why on earth would you bark at her?' and he said 'well that's what I do with my dog'. So tbh I don't know why some people do it. They seem to think it's a way of communicating, or others do it to antagonise dogs. Either way I wouldn't bark at a dog.

Is he gay might be a little bit of a b***H in him :D ok ok i stop now sorry :o

I have seen this to, people do it because some are more connected with their dogs than people,others are just arsing around and think its funny.For the ones who think their dogs understand well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well I talk to a friends dog. He sorta talks at me when I come in (I have to say hi to him first) so I dog talk/howl back, it's our little ritual. But then I talk to him normally. But that's because it's something we do. I've known him for years. I wouldn't do it at a random dog, it's not fair because they may not understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i snarl and hiss at dogs that are pestering me on the road.... puts the fear of god into them and they leg it off with their tail between their legs.

no idea why you'd bark though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

Kids where I live were barking at my dog through the window the other day trying to antagonise her. She started barking so I brought her out to them and they ran off (she's a big softie but they mustn't have known that). They are the kids who play knick knack on people's doors, they just try to annoy everyone but I'm sure there are people who think they are communicating and that's why they do it. In my experience it's only been a bad thing but I'm certain that there are nice people in the world who do it too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

lol - I have to agree - I've only gotten a few barkers in the time I've had my dog - lol - but as he sits in the front seat with me - the most common one I've found is that everyone waves to him - lol - it feels a bit like driving the Queen around or something! Wish a better car came with the job! ;) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Right its getting a bit freaky now. It happened again yesterday when i had a red setter i was minding in the car. I was stopped at traffic lights beside a pub and this lad out having a smoke....growled...yep growled...then barked at the dog. Cue the dog going ballistic barking out the window at him,shoving my car seat in the process. Seriously im getting out of the car the next time and asking them why the feck they do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

They do it to show you how incredibly clever they are. They can take just one look and not only recognise that it's a DOG but also show off all they learnt at school on the subject , ie. 'Woof' is the noise that dogs make.

Isn't it great how many intellectuals there are out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

The mind boggles!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

I usually find it's guys of a similar age to myself that do it, I being female. It doesn't bother me or the dogs but makes them look childish.

I remember when we first started getting immigrants from Eastern Europe and instead of making a clicking noise at my dogs as us natives do, they would make smooching, kissy, kissy sounds. Took me a while to realise they were meant for my doggies and not me :D

Advertisement