Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl player

Options
  • 09-08-2009 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Ok, im thinking about starting up a vinyl collection, and im kind've lost. First of all, i'm not really sure what i need. I only plan on using this for listening to and appreciating music, and i'd be a bit happier with a manual and or preferably a semi automatic turntable. I know (i THINK!) i need a turntable, a phono pre-amp and speakers (will i need a mixer and an amplifier too??). Am i missing anything?

My budget is in and around €200. And thats really stretching it. Even finding a shop will be challenging :/, although i'd buy online with no problems. ANY help at all would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Wasn't sure where to submit it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

You'll need a power amp as well as a preamp, turntable and speakers, but you won't need a mixer. Look for an integrated amp - this is a pre and power amp all in one. If you can only spend €200, you're best off going second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nb430

Ok, i can sort out the amps with a mixer apparently, so the last thing left is purchasing the turntable. I'm looking around for a turntable that is semi automatic. I've also been told if im not DJing i should look for a belt driven turntable for better sound quality. I looked at project debut III ones which appeared to be belt driven, but i can only assume that they're automatic by their set up. Finding it hard to easily isolate the different types of turntables. And again, another source told me that i should only buy S tonearms? im confused?!

Unfortunately, it is a preference that it is also black to go with the stereo i plan on hooking it up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

El Pr0n wrote: »
    If you can only spend €200, you're best off going second hand.

Ehhh €200 is plenty of money for a brand new record player. I picked up a Sony one in town a few years ago for about €120. Great sound off it although I had to buy speakers, but that set me back about €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Argos and Richer Sounds used to do a Bush turntable for about €80-100. It apparently won a What Hi-Fi award as a good entry level turntable. It also had a preamp built in, so you could connect it to the Aux in of a hi-fi or PC sound card, or straight into speakers. I bought one and it's an excellent little thing. The model number is MTT1, not sure if you can still buy it, but worth having a search for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

I'm thinking of getting vinyl player for my bf coz hes really into his music. I've no idea what to look for so could anyone help out? He would only use it for listening to records - there would be no djing or mixing. Is it worthwhile getting one for the better sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can I ask why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nb430

I ended up getting one from argos, and yes they're excellent €120 for cd drive, speakers, tuner, usb and the record player. Very nice

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

why not? :D

I thought the sound was suppose to be better and he'd enjoy collecting the records (he buys loads of cds). He's into rock & blues so there would be alot of records available.

Its his bday next week so was considering it but might just go with new dvd player or cd player.

nb430 wrote: »
    I ended up getting one from argos, and yes they're excellent €120 for cd drive, speakers, tuner, usb and the record player. Very nice

What make is it? that sounds like brill deal if theres cd player aswell but is the quality good. What kinda music you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

crazzzzy wrote: »
    why not? :D
    An don't get me wrong, I'm a vinyl junkie, well at least back in my DJing days I was. But I just don't really see the point these days.

I thought the sound was suppose to be better
    Bit of a myth tbh. Unless your whole system is top of the range, including player, needles, amps, speakers, etc. you wouldn't notice the difference.

I think it's just the retro feel that's appealing to most people. Plus it looks cool.

Personally I tend to stay away from vinyl these days, save for the odd old classic that I pick up off ebay and the like, and just stick to downloads. I think it's the memory of moving 1000's of records every time I'd moved home. Much easier to bring a hard drive!

he'd enjoy collecting the records (he buys loads of cds). He's into rock & blues so there would be alot of records available.

Its his bday next week so was considering it but might just go with new dvd player or cd player.
    Well if he used to buy them before it'd be a good present. ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks Baz

Thats the info I wanted...Im gonna give it a miss for now. He's into retro stuff but i'd like to get a decent one and i'm not sure its worth the hassle of finding a good one i can afford it at the moment if the sound isn't that different. He doesn't have any records now so I also have to consider the cost to him of building collection.

It'll be much easier pick up dvd or cd player anyway :D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    An don't get me wrong, I'm a vinyl junkie, well at least back in my DJing days I was. But I just don't really see the point these days.

Bit of a myth tbh. Unless your whole system is top of the range, including player, needles, amps, speakers, etc. you wouldn't notice the difference.

I think it's just the retro feel that's appealing to most people. Plus it looks cool.

Personally I tend to stay away from vinyl these days, save for the odd old classic that I pick up off ebay and the like, and just stick to downloads. I think it's the memory of moving 1000's of records every time I'd moved home. Much easier to bring a hard drive!

Well if he used to buy them before it'd be a good present. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dunlucewarlock

Hey All, I'm looking to purchase a Crosley Portable Record player in Dublin. Does anyone know where I could get something like this or is ordering online the only option.

http://retrowonders.com/crosleycr49portable3speedturntablenowin3colors-1.aspx

Advertisement