Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you managing your club?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

To progress your club, what is your focus?

I suppose I inittially built a fairly solid team, and then focused on off the field development of coaches etc., but this leaves me in debt with little or no player budget..

So my question is, how are you managing your team? Are you focusing a lot of money on making sure you keep making signings to improve your team and / or developing academy players?

Or are you trying to build up the club and then focus on the playing staff??

My only worry is that over the last season, while I've tried to put in some good work off the field, my team hasn't really changed this season...and any improvements put in place obviously are more expensive to maintain...so the pitfall could be that some players age and lose skills, and while I get a great off field set up, I wont be able to afford to develop academy players with 50k a week and wont be able to afford to sign players, and therefore my team will fall to bits with out being able to take advantage of all the great coaches and facilities etc!! :eek:

Do you need a balance of how you focus your money, on both developing players and off the field at the same time? Which way are you doing it and how do you think it's going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I made a huge amount of transfers last season, but none this year.
    I basically got the players that I wanted and now I am working on them.
    It is tempting to create one or two monsters but the smart money should be on developing the whole team. (However, monsters mean $$$)

Upgraded my facilites as quickly as possible, including coaching staff.
    My new expanded stadium should be ready tomorrow, and I will then expand at the end of the season again.

Should be fine financially based on my projections.
    And can always sell one of my high value players if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

In my first season I got a team together and started upgrading facilities. also as it was my first season a good chunk was spent getting to grips with it!

Now in my second season, I am concentrating on training my players and upgrading stadium and facilities. I have upgraded stadium now and will again at end of season. facilities and coaches are an ongoing thing overall I am trying to get my team in a strong financial position to be turning a nice weekly profit and using this to fund gradual enhancements.

All the while checking there are no deals on the TM for me to pick up! the average price i have paid is about 4k!!:D only two are 10k and 11k...the rest chicken feed.

hmmmm the picture in my signature did not work out as expected!! need to rectify that - sorry guys about the space!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I dunno if I'm managing my team, I'm more their spirit guide on the journey through the world of professional rugby.

I've spent some stupid money on average players but they're crazy young and hungry for glory!
    I'm focusing on winning... once I come up against some serious issues I guess I might pay more attention.
    I've upgraded some facilities and coaches etc and am contemplating a stadium expansion, but really all this means feck all unless the boys are bringing home the points and keeping the punters happy.

I have a few ****e players I promoted from the youth squad and for what I can only imagine is club loyalty I'm keeping them around on my "long term development plan". I can see them all getting fired once times get tough, but that's what they get for not believing in the dream hard enough!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Ya i developed up my facilities and management staff. i have built the team up a bit too and have a number of good players, but now I in the red most weeks with no funds available. The only time i'm not in the red is when i have a home game as that brings in lots of cash. Anyone else in the same boat?

suppafly wrote: »
    Ya i developed up my facilities and management staff. i have built the team up a bit too and have a number of good players, but now I in the red most weeks with no funds available. The only time i'm not in the red is when i have a home game as that brings in lots of cash. Anyone else in the same boat?

Used to be last season, but this season I have a healthy enough balance and my cup run helped enormously with that. I only make a profit with home games also but away weeks my loss is around 15k so profit more than covers that! :cool:

Will upgrade stadium again at end of season (or maybe during if i save up enough cash) as I still sell it out! :cool: make around 90k a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

I am playing my first season. I am actually following the beginner's guidebook that I found on a thread here on Boards.ie. I first picked up young players, no one over the age of 18, to build my team around. I then improved my facilities to a level 2 and hired level 2 Attack and Defense coaches. I am following the exact training cycle suggested in the guide and it appears to work like a charm. I also increased my stadium capacity as I have been selling out. I think I am going to keep expanding the stadium for a bit until I am in a league where I need to purchase new players to hang with the other teams. I'm currently in Division V so I have some time. Anyone new, I suggest taking a look at the guide, it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Badly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What's wrong?

Phonehead wrote: »
    Badly

Phonehead sit down, I want to sing a little song that eh kept me going when I had troubles...

We were at the beach, everybody had matching towels,
    somebody went under a dock, and there they saw a rock,
    but it wasn't a rock... it was a rock lobster!

Rock Lobster

RAWK LObstah!

heheheheheheh...

Yeah, you're gonna be ok.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Ah no I am actually doing quiet well, 7 out of 7 wins and promotion to division 4 is possible. Level 2 facilities ready to be opened once I get my level 2 coaches (the advertising wait is a pain) I have invested in decent players and now I have got to grips with the game I am going to WNWIM my remaining league games against bot teams (for added training). I think my current squad should be good enough to keep me going for a few seasons so this early investment in the transfer market may pay dividends. I really don't have the patience to adopt the 2 players a season approach in the guide so I went out and pretty much got a new team.

• Advertisement

Phonehead wrote: »
    I really don't have the patience to adopt the 2 players a season approach in the guide so I went out and pretty much got a new team.

Sounds like me! only two players to start with...ha i bought about 5 on the first day i played!! bought about 8 in first season and one or two more this season. training now that I have facilities, but it will be a while before i start promoting from youth...or even investing more than 5k!:P

sounds like you are doing quite well, what division you in?

Rawk Lobstah!

Also, to conclude...

I also went on a crazy buying spree. May not have been wise. I fear my sentimentality is ruining my team... I'm still keeping some youth players I promoted with the hopes that they "might be really good with a bit of training", but ultimately they're just a drain on my whole damn system, especially when I've bought in young lads of twice their ability. Chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Money is my big problem ATM. But I'll get prize money at the end of the season and I have a player I will be selling who should get me 100k+

Advertisement