Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nylon Guitar Strings problem

• 09-08-2009 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone know how to adjust nylon new nylon strings to keep them in tune.
    Or maybe there's no way but to wait until they stretch or something.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Nylon strings need a good stretching and, I find, may still take several days to settle in !

The more string you have around the tuning post, then more string there is to stretch and settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

aslo depends on the guitar and machine heads...one of the reasons the guitar is not a prominent orchestra instrument is it's inability to stay in tune (the main one being audibility)
    it usually takes my 300e guitar about 3 days for the strings to settle but my 2k e guitar can be performance ready bewtween 6-12 hours afterwards.
    John Mclaughlin once commented (in the sleevenotes i tihnk of FNSF) that the guitars staying in tune was one of their biggest obstacles to overcome and its a good night when they do. I've aslo seen acoustic guitarists change strings on the fly! also for peolpe with really good (too sensitive!:)) ears their guitar is never in tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Nylon strings are notorious for tuning problems. You have to give them a damn good stretching before you even consider playing the guitar. A good way to stetch the strings is to stretch the entire length of the string, tune to pitch, stretch again. You'll know it's working because the guitar will go less and less out of wack each time you stretch, tune, and stretch again. I should point out that it's important to stretch the entire length of the string otherwise you might end up with little humps in the string (which might cause some problems later on.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 D0nners

Stretching the string repeatedly until it starts to stay in tune is the most important thing as stated before.
    You should also try lubricating the nut with some pencil lead. I hear this helps also.

Advertisement