Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning shoes bought in sale

Options
  • 09-08-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

my gf bought a pair of shoes on the 15th July in a sale. She was told no exchange or refund on the shoes and this is also stated on the receipt. However, after wearing them once (attending a weding that they were purchased for!!) the strap has broken on one of them. Where does she stand now when she brings them back to look for a refund? From the consumer rights website it seems that sale items should be treated the same as non sale items. If anyone has any experience of this it would be great to know how you got on or anyone that could state the actual rights that my gf now has when she looks for this refund.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd imagine the receipt says something to the effect of "consumer rights not effected". Unless they were sold as potentially faulty / soiled goods then I'd imagine she has a case for a refund.

Difficulty may arrise in proving that the shoes were fault though and she didn't just put unneccessary strain on them or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Same rights apply in a sale as they do for a normal purchase. So if the shoes are faulty, and were not sold as seconds, shop soiled or damaged, then you're entitled to some form of redress (repair, replace, refund). As Random says, I'd imagine the receipt wording is referring to cases where the purchaser simply changes their mind about the shoes, in which case they will not receive a refund or exchage by the store (which is perfectly legal).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your consumer rights are unaffected if the goods do not meet the standards laid out in the Consumer Affairs Act, as is the case here. Assuming that your gf did not buy the goods as faulty, then they are clearly not fit for purpose and the shop will be obliged to repair, refund or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Sounds like Office, who also say after the no exchange or refund bit 'unless faulty'. Their normal policy is no goodwill refunds anyway, but they have to accept faulty ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

Straight from the NCA - Items that are sold in a sale or at a reduced price are treated no differently in law to goods sold at any other time.But if goods are marked "imperfect", "shop soiled", "seconds" or "sold as seen", then you have been made aware that they may not be up to the standard of new or perfect goods and the price will usually reflect this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement