Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A simple cake recipe that does not involve the oven

Options
  • 09-08-2009 7:51pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Does one exist? :o

Basically, my colleagues in work have started a 'lets make a cake' for our 3o'clock break on a Friday.

So far we have had rocky road (about 3 times) and a banoffee.

It's my turn to make something but I wanna make something really simple and basic. something I can throw all the ingredients into a bowl, mix it up and let it set. or something along those lines :o

Any ideas? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

This will make you champion of the quick cake:
    http://www.dizzy-dee.com/recipe/chocolate-cake-in-5-minutes

Get a tube of squeezy icing and some sprinkles or something for topping :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rice crispie cakes?? :D

Of course pretty much any cheesecake can be made without an oven, just something to dissolve your gelatin. A bit of fancy decoration, and shoo-shoo (? you lisping these day??) wins the day!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Gaspode wrote: »
    Rice crispie cakes?? :D

Of course pretty much any cheesecake can be made without an oven, just something to dissolve your gelatin. A bit of fancy decoration, and shoo-shoo (? you lisping these day??) wins the day!

I've been warned NOT to bring rice krispie buns! and cheesecake just looks like hard work :o And no I'm not lisping, I didn't ask for shooshoo. I'm being punished :o:p

so anything that might be really quick in the oven? dammI really wanted to avoid the oven!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Caramel shortbread? You have to put the base in the over for 20 mins though. And it involves a few components. But everyone will love you for it! Let me know if you want a recipe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ShooShoo wrote: »
    And no I'm not lisping, I didn't ask for shooshoo. I'm being punished :o:p

thou shalt not upset the admins!

How about this bread & butter pudding cake, even I could do it!

Or final suggestion is this Chocolate Biscuit/Tiffin cake: no cooking required whatsoever. And, as a bonus its got 27.5 billion calories per crumb, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

go to the shop buy one simples;)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

What about a chocolate biscuit cake/tiffin cake?

Plenty of recipes online

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chocolate tiffin:

200g/8oz Digestive Bisuits
    100g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
    3 tbsp Golden syrup
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    50g/2oz raisins
    100g/4oz dark or milk chocolate

1. Butter an 18cm/7in sandwich tin. Seal biscuits in a polythene bag and bash into uneven crumbs with a rolling pin.
    2. Melt the butter and syrup, stir in the cocoa and raisins, then thoroughly stir in the biscuit crumbs. Spoon into the tin and press down firmly (I use the bottom of a glass to pack it down)
    3. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Spread over the biscuit base and chill until set.

Faith wrote: »
    Caramel shortbread? You have to put the base in the over for 20 mins though. And it involves a few components. But everyone will love you for it! Let me know if you want a recipe.

ooohhh it sounds good! I'd love the recipe!

Base:

200g plain flour
    150g butter
    75g castor sugar

Caramel:

1 tin condensed milk
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    110g soft brown sugar
    110g butter

Chocolate:

200g milk or dark chocolate.

Method:

1. Cream the butter and sugar. Add in flour until it almost resembles breadcrumbs (you may need to rub in the flour, but I did it all in a machine last time and it was perfect).
    2. Spread base mixture onto a tin (roughly 28cm x 18cm) covered with parchment or greaseproof paper. It can take a bit of work to get the whole tin covered, but stick at it!
    3. Pop base into a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.
    4. While the base is cooling, melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan and add the condensed milk, sugar and syrup. Stir continuously and well (it'll burn and stick otherwise). Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. To test if it's done, put a dollop onto a plate and leave for a few minutes to check if it sets.
    5. Spread caramel over the base and leave to cool.
    6. When the caramel is set, melt your chocolate and spread on top. Leave to cool and set in the fridge.
    7. Cut up into pieces and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Would a really moist tasty chocolate cake made in the microwave suit you?

This is sooo tasty, kicks the ass of the spongy cake-in-a-cup crap.
    It's moist and crumbly, and takes 9 mins.

Enjoy!
    http://www.allbakingrecipes.com/baking-recipes/microwave-cakes-bakes/microwave-chocolate-cake.php

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Does it have to be a cake? I love this simple Mousse-for-One recipe:

Melt about 70g dark chocolate and whisk in an egg yolk.
    Whisk up the egg white separately and add a tablespoon of caster sugar. Fold into the chocolate mixture, pour into a ramekin or small cup and refrigerate for about an hour.

guys thanks a million for your suggestions! I will let you know how it goes and which one I go for :D:D

Which did you go for in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Base:

200g plain flour
    150g butter
    75g castor sugar

Caramel:

1 tin condensed milk
    110g soft brown sugar
    110g butter

Chocolate:

Method:

1. Cream the butter and sugar. Add in flour until it almost resembles breadcrumbs (you may need to rub in the flour, but I did it all in a machine last time and it was perfect).
    2. Spread base mixture onto a tin (roughly 28cm x 18cm) covered with parchment or greaseproof paper. It can take a bit of work to get the whole tin covered, but stick at it!
    3. Pop base into a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.4. While the base is cooling, melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan and add the condensed milk, sugar and syrup. Stir continuously and well (it'll burn and stick otherwise). Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. To test if it's done, put a dollop onto a plate and leave for a few minutes to check if it sets.
    6. When the caramel is set, melt your chocolate and spread on top. Leave to cool and set in the fridge.

Great stuff, but the OP said no oven

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Great stuff, but the OP said no oven

Read the whole thread! That was mentioned before the recipe was posted and the OP still wanted it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inga2

Base:

200g plain flour
    150g butter
    75g castor sugar

Caramel:

1 tin condensed milk
    110g soft brown sugar
    110g butter

Chocolate:

Method:

3. Pop base into a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.
    4. While the base is cooling, melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan and add the condensed milk, sugar and syrup. Stir continuously and well (it'll burn and stick otherwise). Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. To test if it's done, put a dollop onto a plate and leave for a few minutes to check if it sets.

love the recipe ... Mmmm

Which did you go for in the end?

Well, things got a bit hectic and I went for an apple pie from supperquinn! :o

I still have your recipe so thats what I am going to make when I am due to bake again which is in 2 weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I have an excellent completely no-oven recipe for white chocolate cheesecake. It is extremely rich though. Better serve it in tiny slices/squares or else everybody will have to lie down at work after lunch. Maybe you would consider halving the recipe and using a small tin/dish? Hopefully you could leave it in a fridge at work, just in case it is a hot day.

Summary of recipe: melt bad things together and then put them in the fridge.

White chocolate cheesecake:
    100g biscuits eg digestives, gingernuts, hobnobs
    50g melted butter
    400g white chocolate
    250ml cream
    250g cream cheese eg Phillidelphia
    250g Mascarpone (cheap in Lidll)

Put the biscuits in a small food bag and hit them with a rolling pin until fine crumbs. Pour the biscuits into the bowl that the butter has been melted in. Press the melted butter/biscuits into the base of a 20cm or 23cm springform tin (Any baking dish with sides will do, aim for one at least 20x20cm). Put this in the fridge.
    Meanwhile break up the chocolate into squares and either melt it very gently in the microwave or else in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water.
    Put the cream, phillidelphia and mascarpone in another bowl and beat them together with either a hand held mixer or a wooden spoon. Pour the melted chocolate in and mix it in. Then spread this mixture over the biscuit base.

Advertisement