Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ikea advert and not wear a communion dress.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

bleg wrote: »
    Or just don't have a 1st communion. Makes more sense.

Are you mad, both Communion and Confirmation kept me in money up until my teenage years. Why deprive kids such a big payday from relations and friends parents etc. When our confirmation was over and we looked at each other wondering "was that all the fuss was for" and one girl said "what do we do now?" I said now its money time, look nice and smile and the money will roll in. Bought my PS1 with some of the Confirmation money back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Gadfly wrote: »
    I think this is a brilliant ad on TV at the moment.

My daughters boyfriends sister turned around to her mother as asked why was the little girl in the Ikea advert not wearing her communion dress like all the other girls. The mother replied, "because she doesn't have to". Then the daughter said, "then that's what I'm doing"

Is this going to be a new thing for next Mays communion?

Its a great advert, Catholic church has absolutely no problem with the advert. The communion is not about the dress, its about the sacrament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

phasers wrote: »
    Is the white dress not tradition though? A symbol of something or other?

If you don't respect the religious traditions and customs, just don't have a communion ffs.

I hate that ad, how is being disrespectful to people's beliefs being a "rebel"?

It's not a tradition of the Catholic Church, it was started by parents.

The ad IS NOT disrespectful to any beliefs, other than the whole 'lets dress up our children like mini brides so we can show off to the neighbours'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I didn't wear a communion dress on the day but rather a little sailory dress my Gran bought me. Okay so I wasn't making my communion because I wasn't an RC but went to the church with my classmates to see what all the fuss was about and it is pretty funny to see them all in white meringues and me wrecking the photo's theme in a navy and white dress and straw hat (very 'in' in 1989). Went for dinner and all that and felt pretty special being the only one not looking like a lump of shaving foam with hairspray..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Biggins wrote: »
    some are sticking with the normal white "Bride of Christ" practice and have 'asked' the dress to be part of the ceremony.

Where are you getting the Bride of Christ thing from Biggins? The only place I ever heard of it was in relation to nuns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody else read the title as "communist dress"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

I don't think the Catholic church is encouraging parents to spend loads of money doing up their children for their communion - so it's not the fault of the church that people feel pressure to spend, spend, spend. I doubt any priest would refuse to give communion to a girl who hadn't got fake tan, or who wore a second-hand communion dress. :rolleyes: If parents are foolish enough to go to extremes when they can't afford it, then that's their issue, not the Church's

Also, has anyone actually seen a girl with fake tan/nails etc. on her communion day? Or is it an urban myth/ something only travellers do?

There are other religions where people spend huge amounts of money to celebrate various sacarments - the Jewish bar mitvahs for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Demonique wrote: »
    It's not a tradition of the Catholic Church, it was started by parents.

The ad IS NOT disrespectful to any beliefs, other than the whole 'lets dress up our children like mini brides so we can show off to the neighbours'

Correct the white communion dress is NOT A TRADITION of Roman catholic Church.

Go to Poland, there all the kits wear the same plain Alba.

First communion is about the sacrament not the dress.

Love the IKEA ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

bleg wrote: »
    Or just don't have a 1st communion. Makes more sense.

is a white dress that critical to one taking communion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fugly wrote: »

After the confirmation your a fully fledged catholic

how come most catholics don't refer to themselves as simply... a Christian:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

krudler wrote: »
    I just like the irony that Ikea are telling you to be individual...by buying their mass produced furntiture that thousands of other people will own as well...

The best point made so far.... Maith on fear

Its really stupid how others view it as an oppertunity to attack faith. Jesus folk get over yourselves we are all athiest here! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Biggins wrote: »
    Advert is misleading to be honest, the Roman Catholic church here will no way allow the girl to be conferred unless ye adhere to their strict dress code.

nonsense, my cousin wore an orange shirt and no jacket for his :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cheerilee

Not all churches/priests require the girls to wear white communion dresses I was looking at a friends son's communion photos and there were two girls who made their communion that day wearing non white dresses
    first time I had seen that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Of course if everyone turned up in the multicoloured dress the little princess would have to be the one in white. It's a wonderful ad: it catches the idiocy of religion, the crazy indulgence of parents trying to believe their child is unique and the silly self obsession of the young. And to think they were trying to sell something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

does anybody know where I can find a video of the IKEA advert online?
    ie the one where the girl wears the red communion dress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    does anybody know where I can find a video of the IKEA advert online?
    ie the one where the girl wears the red communion dress

on the 1st page of this thread, cant link sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

IKEA are notorious for great advertising

Em..am I the only one who thinks that is not 'great advertising' but is actually just shít?:confused:

Advertisement