Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blood coming from pup

Options
  • 09-08-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi everyone my pup has blood on her tail and hind legs im presuming that she is having her first period i think she is about 5-6 months old its only small drops of blood at the moment should i expect lots of blood and how long does it last for any info is most welcome
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Ya sounds like she's in heat. My dog was about 7 months old when she first went into heat. It lasts for about 2 weeks (maybe more, im not sure). If you don't want puppies, keep her well away from the males or she'll be raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You need to be careful, keep her indoors as much as possible - males are known to scale walls to get a females in heat if they smell them. So perhaps walks might be out for a while, or take her when there's not many people/dogs about.

Shouldn't be too much blood, I was living with a friend when she had labs in heat. When they sit they'll leave smudges so best to keep her to one area, preferably a tiled/easy to wipe floor. Though I think the flow can depend on the dog.
    She'll try and keep herself clean too.
    You can get doggy pants and I think wipes as well. She might also be a bit moody/not herself for a while (like any woman eh? lol).
    If you're not looking for her to have a litter you might consider getting her spayed when she's a few wks over her heat. (check with vet to see exactly how long you wait)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sorry ...OT and just semantics but ...

At 5-6 months a dog is no longer a pup, dogs don't have "periods" but they are in heat and neither do dogs "rape" each other, they merely follow their natural instincts.

Thanks for indulging me, I feel better now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

peasant whilst I understand the need for clarification, you could also add something constructive next time.

Well, all the practical aspects were taken care of in your post already, no point in repeating them.

However I think it doesn't do any harm to try and call things by their proper name, this IS an animal and pets forum after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

ok so she is having her first heat
    she is booked into the vets to get neutered on the 20th of this month
    will they still do the operation though she has been through her first heat??
    she is kept in the back garden during the day iv never seen any unacompanied dogs around the area.plus the garden has a six foot fence around it .

The 20th will be too close to her heat, she might still be in the last throws of it by that time. Better agree a later date with your vet.

The hormone levels of your dog should best be at a neutral balance (between heats) when neutering and not elevated, as they would be directly after the heat.

Your vet will advise

grand ill give the vet a call tomorrow
    this is probably a stupid question but does she still go into heat after she gets neutered ???

No, she won't anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You have to wait until shes at least 3 month after that heat. Did you explain to the vets that she is in heat at the moment? They shouldnt neuter so close to her heat.

She prob wouldnt even be over her current heat by that date as it lasts 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

A friend of mine got regular nappies and cut a hole for the tail and put it on to protect her furniture, for inside the house whenever her dog is in heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

andreac wrote: »
    You have to wait until shes at least 3 month after that heat.

I was told 6 weeks. Thats when Bessie was spayed after hers or is it different if its their first heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It prob doesnt have to be 3 months, but half way between the 2 heats is a good time, just to give the uterus time to settle down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

paulbhoy wrote: »
    hi everyone my pup has blood on her tail and hind legs im presuming that she is having her first period i think she is about 5-6 months old its only small drops of blood at the moment should i expect lots of blood and how long does it last for any info is most welcome
    cheers

Our bitch just recently finished her first season. There was blood spotting evident for three and a half weeks in total. She will be going in to get neutered in October. The vet recommended half way between seasons and asked the breed before clarifying October was ok so maybe it varies per breed.
    I agree with those prior that say the 20th of this month is too close to have her spayed as she will most likely still be in heat then.

Your pup will mostly clean herself, although there will inevitably be some spots and smearing around the place. We kept ours, obviously, off carpets and furniture etc. She was a little different around our other dog - neutered male - trying to mount him occasionally, but other than that there wasn't much difference in her attitude/personality.

As for the nappies - its not really all that bad to go to those lenghts; in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

the reason why she is booked in for the 20th is because the vet wanted to do the operation before she went through her first season

Advertisement