Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Player watch- 2009/2010

• 09-08-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Here is a thread where we can monitor performances of Irish players in every league in the run up to the World Cup (fingers crossed we'll be there).

Feel free to add info about a performance that caught your eye and also encourage some debate on what players may make a breakthrough to secure themselves a place on the plane if we make it to South Africa.

I'll start the ball rolling:

Clinton Morrison impressed me greatly today in the game against Ipswich. He was a real handful and took his goals well (his first was an absolute peach). Surely he deserves a place in our squad ahead of his team mate Leon Best????
    He seems to have been bombed out since the Cyprus debacle.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Owen Garvan is one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mark Yeates for Boro played very well on his debut on Friday night. Definitely one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Stephen Ireland is one I would like to see get his place back in the side.

Edit: ignore that, can someone who has good knowledge of the set up post the team most likely to be selected by Trapatoni and the squad players we currently have, maybe mentioning problem areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

CHD wrote: »
    Owen Garvan is one to watch.

I guess what im looking for is some informed debate. Maybe discuss his performance.
    Did you watch the game? He mad an appearance from the bench just before the last half hour

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I guess what im looking for is some informed debate. Maybe discuss his performance.
    Did you watch the game? He mad an appearance from the bench just before the last half hour

He honestly didn't have that much of an influence on the game. But tbf he hasn't trained as much as the rest of the squad has.

As for my selection, Mark Yeates was fantastic for Boro on Friday night. Got himself all over the pitch and really worked extremely hard for his team in all areas of the pitch. I'm not exactly sure of his normal position because he was putting himself all over the pitch.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    He honestly didn't have that much of an influence on the game. But tbf he hasn't trained as much as the rest of the squad has.

As for my selection, Mark Yeates was fantastic for Boro on Friday night. Got himself all over the pitch and really worked extremely hard for his team in all areas of the pitch. I'm not exactly sure of his normal position because he was putting himself all over the pitch.

Yeates was highly rated as a kid at Spurs. Boro could be a good move for him, he was excellent at Colchester but needed to test himself at a higher level.
    I think he is a left winger naturally. I didn't see the game but it does auger well that hes starring on his competitive debut in a higher division.

Yeates was highly rated as a kid at Spurs. Boro could be a good move for him, he was excellent at Colchester but needed to test himself at a higher level.
    I think he is a left winger naturally. I didn't see the game but it does auger well that hes starring on his competitive debut in a higher division.

Well he put in a very good shift on Friday night. Could be one of Boro's key players for them this season.
    Just a case of seeing if he can keep it up..... except for when we play them.

Didnt watch the 2nd half today, but from what i have seen of him in the past he has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Robet brady coming along nicely at utd

had a superb milk cup,top scorer

he should be in the reserves this season for utd and maybe have a few carling cup matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Brian Murphy from Bohs might be going to Ipswich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

David McAllister and Anto Flood both had stormers for Shels last night.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Brian Murphy from Bohs might be going to Ipswich.

that would be a silly move for him with Wright and possibly even Shane Supple ahead of him in the pecking order.

Murphy is decent but he should secure himself first team footy across the water.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Scott Davies, Reading. Forced his way into Reading team this weekend. Made 40 appearances for Aldershot last season and has obviously done well in preseason and impressed his new manager.

At worst you can look out for one of the other irish players in and around the first team squad at reading.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Scott Davies, Reading. Forced his way into Reading team this weekend. Made 40 appearances for Aldershot last season and has obvioulsy done well in preseason to impress his new manager.

At worst you can look out for one of the other irish players in and around the first team squad at reading.

how does Davies qualify for Ireland? The grand parent rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Delighted Mark Yeates is Irish! Didnt know, watched the match against Sheff U the other night and i thought he was exellent. Will be pushing for a place but does Trap watch enough footy to see him?

Not sure. He has played under 19 for Ireland and was in the under 21 squad against germany in Feb. Himself and Tabb played in the middle yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shane lowry looked decent for villa in preseason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I reckon the whole being born in Dublin thing would sort him out tbh :P

Not sure. He has played under 19 for Ireland and was in the under 21 squad against germany in Feb. Himself and Tabb played in the middle yesterday.

good stuff, i was oblivious to this guy. Thats what the thread is all about fair play!
    Im not sure Jay Tabb will ever push for a place though. A good pro all the same. Well maybe a little bit better than that, im being harsh on the lad :pac:

Seaneh wrote: »
    I reckon the whole being born in Dublin thing would sort him out tbh :P

Only hes not born in Dublin :D

• Advertisement

Haha, shock horror!

football manager is wrong :P

He was born in Aylesbury according to wiki.

He looks fierce irish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Keith Fahey. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the Premiership but if he does well he could make his way into the international setup.

Keith Fahey. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the Premiership but if he does well he could make his way into the international setup.

Do ya think Fahey will get his game? Bowyer, Ferguson, Larsson and Carsley are all in the mix.

I think McCann at Burnley will be a slow burner in the premiership. He won't catch the eye but he'll be effective.

And im looking forward to watching McCarthy play in the system Martinez puts out. It was a good choice to pick Wigan over Wolves for sure.

Clinton Morrison impressed me greatly today in the game against Ipswich. He was a real handful and took his goals well (his first was an absolute peach). Surely he deserves a place in our squad ahead of his team mate Leon Best????
    He seems to have been bombed out since the Cyprus debacle.

I'm not sure why Morrison was forgotten about. He Scored two class goals today and guy who can finish like that should not be overlooked.

I'm not sure why Morrison was forgotten about. He Scored two class goals today and guy who can finish like that should not be overlooked.

I always thought Morrison played decent enough for Ireland. Surely well enough to be in the squad at least. Hes a finisher aswell, he would work well with Doyler or Robbie too.

Trap must have been watching Coventry if he includes Best though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Seamus Coleman was having a great pre season for Everton before he got an unlucky injury.

A great right back who likes to get forward and was strong in the tackle. If he recovers and gets back to that form then I've no doubt David Moyes will give him a chance this year.

Seamus Coleman was having a great pre season for Everton before he got an unlucky injury.

A great right back who likes to get forward and was strong in the tackle. If he recovers and gets back to that form then I've no doubt David Moyes will give him a chance this year.

good shout ive heard good things about Coleman. Moyes will give young guys a chance aswell. Missing out on Naughton to Spurs will have Coleman licking his lips :P

good shout ive heard good things about Coleman. Moyes will give young guys a chance aswell. Missing out on Naughton to Spurs will have Coleman licking his lips :P

How many right backs do spurs have now??!

Just looked up the Blues last Friendly, Fahey started anyway. So did Carsley and....... Stephen Carr.

• Advertisement

Trap just looked at our last few squads, saw that Elliot and the likes were crap, then he thought ''right need to add couple new players'' and brought in Delaney and Gibson for couple of caps then thought ''need to make a example of someone now'' looked at Reid thought hmmmm he is overweight prob, lets drop him.Then he picked one player to praise and picked Keane saying ''He is the Irish Totti''. Hey presto we have our squad, he sticks to that. Glad he is a top manager, otherwise we would be fecked!

Thats why Morrison isnt there, he doesnt really know he exists.

How many right backs do spurs have now??!

Naughton, Hutton, Chimbonda and Corluka plays there too.

Just looked up the Blues last Friendly, Fahey started anyway. So did Carsley and....... Stephen Carr.

Carr was their best defender the second half of last season!

Seems like the 8 months he took out of the game to recover fully (for the first time in 5 years) has done him the world of good.

Carr was their best defender the second half of last season!

Seems like the 8 months he took out of the game to recover fully (for the first time in 5 years) has done him the world of good.

Do ya reckon he'll come back into the Ireland fold? Will Trap have him? And will he be up to it ya reckon?

Im looking forward to seeing how Kevin Foley does. In some ways he reminds me of Steve Finnan late 90s to early 2000s. He could slot into a top team and be reliable.

Do ya reckon he'll come back into the Ireland fold? Will Trap have him? And will he be up to it ya reckon?

Im looking forward to seeing how Kevin Foley does. In some ways he reminds me of Steve Finnan late 90s to early 2000s. He could slot into a top team and be reliable.

Unless we really need Carr he should be left to continue at his club. If we make the world cup that would be a good time to call him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Things look to be shaping up nicely for us from a right-back perspective.

We have 3 of our available natural RBs (any others?) playing this season in the EPL - Finnan at Portsmouth, Kelly at Fulham and Foley at Wolves.

Looking through the Portsmouth squadlist there, Finnan appears to be the only senior RB there in that team atm, but there's still question marks over his fitness. He's currently out with a hamstring injury with no return date yet.

Am really happy that Kelly has joined Fulham. Hodgson has them superbly organized defensively which can only improve Kelly (and hence Ireland). The big stumbling block for him tho is Panstil who was a monster at RB for Fulham last season. African Nations Cup in the new year when Pantsil is away could be Kelly's chance to nail down a spot hopefully.

Foley, I think of the three, is probably in the driving seat with his spot nailed down in the Wolves first eleven. Probably our main RB to watch in the first few months.

(I'm hoping these 3 can keep McShane away from that RB spot :/)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ireland U-21 player Brendan Moloney (from Beaufort, Co.Kerry) scored a cracker yesterday for Notts County in their 5-0 win over Bradford. Brendan is on loan from neighbours Forest for 6 months, a decision which Forest may yet regret. He was making in-roads into our first team last season and did very well whenever he came on. At the moment, becos of injury and suspension, we have only 3 defenders, while one of our right backs is on loan across the Trent :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Chris McCann for me is gonna be really weird. He was a 6th year when I first started in secondary school. It's gonna be weird seeing play against huge football teams/players.

Defo keeping an eye on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

CHD wrote: »
    Thats why Morrison isnt there, he doesnt really know he exists.

Just realised something there, maybe is he hasn't noticed him because he's never attending any matches. I could be very very wrong, but has anyone ever seen Trapattoni at a PL match or any other match outside the PL? I don't think I have..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

My money is on the 2 tallaght lads really shining this year. Mark yeates had a fantastic game for borough the other night and looks a real hand full, pretty decent from the dead ball as well, another i'd like to see get his chance is Keith Fahey he has an excellent football brain can pick a pass, deadly from 20-25 yards and clinical on the dead ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I would love to do an Ireland world cup ladder like the one F365 do for England Here but don't have the time...

Maybe some other kind soul could give it a bash and we can all disagree and argue over their selections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

We might see a bit more of Keith Treacy this season, he has joined Sheffiel United on loan from Blackburn Rovers.

He had a decent game against Boro the other night, but as others have said Yeates came out looking better, mainly because Treacy was reduced to covering back most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

anyone know where kevin thorthan is gone to, I heard he was let go from coventry after a problem with drink driving or something

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

redzerdrog wrote: »
    anyone know where kevin thorthan is gone to, I heard he was let go from coventry after a problem with drink driving or something

he is a bit of a troubled lad. looked like he was going to be a top player for coventry but once to often he let the club down. morrssion had a great game against Ipswich although ipswich battered Coventry second half. westwood is a top keeper aswell think long term he is shays replacment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Completely forgot Yeates was Irish. He looked quality the other night. Himself and Adam Johnson on the flanks look good for Boro.

Clinton was great yesterday, deserves a return to the squad. Thought Westwood look dodgy, especially towards the end of the game where he bottled coming out to collect aball around the peno spot. Jonathan Walters looked shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Completely forgot Yeates was Irish. He looked quality the other night. Himself and Adam Johnson on the flanks look good for Boro.

Clinton was great yesterday, deserves a return to the squad. Thought Westwood look dodgy, especially towards the end of the game where he bottled coming out to collect aball around the peno spot. Jonathan Walters looked shit.

Westwood is really solid. he got Coventry a lot of points last season and will do the same again. A part of his game that needs a bit of improvment is distrubtion but he is the best keeper coventry have had in a few years. Over the last few months Coventry have lost tabb, fox and dann all good solid players but Westwood is the most important player city have kept. if he left i really think Coventry would be in a dogfight to stay in the championship.

On other players really sad to see Michael doyle join leeds he was a great player for coventry over the years. Should have been in the irish squad more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What about Andy Keogh? Too far down the Wolves pecking order maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Really hope Liam Lawrence can dawn the green jersey again this year. Came back from injury in the second half of last season and really impressed me. He's quick strong and has got a decent goal scoring record for a midfielder too. If he keeps this form up I can see him pushing for a starting place!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Really hope Liam Lawrence can dawn the green jersey again this year. Came back from injury in the second half of last season and really impressed me. He's quick strong and has got a decent goal scoring record for a midfielder too. If he keeps this form up I can see him pushing for a starting place!

Lawrence is a decent player, we dont have many natural right footed wingers either (barring McGeady who usually operates on the left).

He'll definately be an addition to the squad, good at taking set pieces etc... but he does lack pace to be a top player I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Sky Sports:
    Birmingham have completed the signing of James O'Shea after the Republic of Ireland Under 21 international signed a two-year deal.

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch?reloaded

Who will they be loaning him out to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement