Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kings of leon

Options
  • 09-08-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

hi, apolpgies if this is the wrong forum..

only discovered this song recently. it's a B-side to the kings of leon's most recent album, only by the night.

i love this song. i've listened to it for the past hour solid. how this didnt make it onto the album i dont understand. they should have stuck it in as a 12th song at least (or a 13th, if you include 'beneath the surface')

anyway, what are the thoughts from people about this song, frontier city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

They should have given up when they shaved their beards!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Sounds quality.. Often rate bands and artists on the quality of their b sides. Most dont even bother doing them... Think it gives the customer better value when buying a single but also u often see another side to the artist. Songs and albums are compiled by record companies where b sides often give the act a chance of free expression without the pressure of it having to be hit. Some of the best songs ever recorded were b sides.. Would love to hear other peoples favourites. Love rockin chair and heart of a star by oasis and shoot the dove by paul weller.. little gems i found almost by accident.. Wish more acts would do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

cool tune. could I get this on download? I don't have itunes installed on the PC but does anyone know if it's possible to selectively purchase the b-sides from singles, if indeed singles are in fact listed in their store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Great song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Saw them years ago supporting the Pixies, thought they were great, now they're just a bunch of wannabe Foo Fighters tossers. Get rid of them!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

alan kelly wrote: »
    Sounds quality.. Often rate bands and artists on the quality of their b sides. Most dont even bother doing them... Think it gives the customer better value when buying a single but also u often see another side to the artist. Songs and albums are compiled by record companies where b sides often give the act a chance of free expression without the pressure of it having to be hit. Some of the best songs ever recorded were b sides.. Would love to hear other peoples favourites. Love rockin chair and heart of a star by oasis and shoot the dove by paul weller.. little gems i found almost by accident.. Wish more acts would do it..

This is absolute crap. What normally happens is a band makes an album. Give it to their record company and then if it's a commercial band they might get asked to make it more radio friendly.

To say some of the best songs ever recorded are b sides is also completely off the mark. For every good b side, there are 1000's of better songs. If this wasn't the case, b-sides would be called albums and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

thats not a bad song, definitely deserved a shot on the album. maybe the record company didnt like the guitars at the end, kings of leon definitely heavily swung from guitar-heavy to radio-friendly with their last album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

This band are the most over rated band in the world i would rather listen to nails scraping on a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

For me kings of leons first 2 albums were brilliant its been going downhill since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

I think a lot of people THINK they have to like this band because on the radio there so built up by DJ's that people feel they MUST be good. Another example is Paddy Casey. Thank god he has vanished what tripe he released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Decent tune, a lot better than some of the shíte that made it onto the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

It's weird how they went from being just another garage-rock revival band to biggest group on earth,at no point being anything to write home about musically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

the best b side they ever did is wicker chair off the holy roller novocaine ep
    it is phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Kings of Leon are the band that are always being listened to by twits on the LUAS with their iPhones turned up too loud. The faint sound of the singer's voice is unmistakeable and incredibly grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

New song the've been playing on tour..Hopefulyl rest of there album follows this..Savage song

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

I think they are great, its all too easy to say a band are not so good any more when they have just been overplayed on commercial radio stations.
    There is a tribute band for them form Dublin, playing Hannigens parkwest 17th Sept, you should check them out called Knights of Leon, just as good as the real thing if you ask me.

It is so easy to find great jems on the B sides, they seem better even if they are not always because they had not been overplayed.

Bell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

bellapip wrote: »
    I think they are great, its all too easy to say a band are not so good any more when they have just been overplayed on commercial radio stations.
    There is a tribute band for them form Dublin, playing Hannigens parkwest 17th Sept, you should check them out called Knights of Leon, just as good as the real thing if you ask me.

It is so easy to find great jems on the B sides, they seem better even if they are not always because they had not been overplayed.

Bell:D

fully agree with this, for every kings of leon lover there is now a hater because people are fed up of them being overplayed on the radio blaa blaa blaa, love this band and would much rather listen to them being overplayed than ladyboy gaga, westlife etc. etc.

saw knights of leon a few times, very good imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

just because a band becomes successful doesn't mean they're crap.....I hate that drivel about their first two albums being infinately better then their new stuff....bull****. BOTT is a great album...songs like arizona and trunk are really slow beautiful songs. I'll agree that OBTN is their weakest album but it still has some pretty fine tunes:cold desert,manhatten.

I think another thing about this band that makes them special is the fact that they are absolutely flawless live....I never understood why people liked them until I saw them preform in front of a crowd...It really is an experiance to here songs like knocked up,talahina sky and trani played in wide open spaces. I was blown away by them. Overnight they became my faveourite band.

The devils song does sound class, very bluesy

Advertisement