Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Kukri get through customs?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Just wondering if ye think a Kukri would get through customs?
    It could be termed a hunting knife I'm sure?
    I've seen them on websites and they would ship to Ireland I'm sure, no point in ordering if it wouldnt be allowed in though.
    Thanks
    A Country Voice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just wondering if ye think a Kukri would get through customs?
    It could be termed a hunting knife I'm sure?
    I've seen them on websites and they would ship to Ireland I'm sure, no point in ordering if it wouldnt be allowed in though.
    Thanks
    A Country Voice
    I think knives can be shipped in OK.

A kukri is more like a machete though and there's been some recent legislation on samurai swords, so might be a good idea to read up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

this would be a seriously big knife though :)
    it could be 12-14 inches long. kinda more like a machete lol
    its those ones the gurkhas use.
    I've just always wanted one.
    I wonder would I get in trouble if I ordered one online.
    I do have a firearms license and am therefore a hunter, I could use the excuse that its a hunting knife I suppose, if questions were asked like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

this would be a seriously big knife though :)
    it could be 12-14 inches long. kinda more like a machete lol
    its those ones the gurkhas use.
    What I said
    I've just always wanted one.
    I wonder would I get in trouble if I ordered one online.
    I do have a firearms license and am therefore a hunter, I could use the excuse that its a hunting knife I suppose, if questions were asked like :)
    Check the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Read the Firearms & Offensive Weapons Order 1991.

Thanks for that Born to Kill
    I had a kinda machete when I was younger, it was a lovely knife, but lost it years ago.
    I have a nice bowie knife at the moment. A really nice hunting knife.
    Was just wondering if a kukri would be out of order these days, and it appears that they are.
    The Firearms and offensive weapons order 1991 prohibits the manufacture, importation or sale of many things including........

( q ) the broad knife known as a machete or matchet.

I wouldn't chance trying to import something thats specifically prohibited.
    Thanks for the help though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

But it is a kukri,not a machete or a katana.
    Hell of a difference between all of those blade types.

Our lowly Turnip knife,a once common farm impliment here could be classified as a machete.

As for the kukri as a hunting knife.Well,maybe as a "survival" knife,if it is a good one with proper steel,and shaped properly.Why not?A sharp tip for precision cutting,and the broad weighed part for breaking and cutting deer rib cages or pelvises,or other hunting related jobs.Some folks use small axes for that work and no one looks askence at that.It's up to you,so long as you have good reason to carry it ligit and arent going to be a silly bugger with it,should be no problem.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I own a machete and a japanese blade, both Second World War, which I imported them from the UK, in the open. The sword was opened by customs, who got finger prints all over it but then packed it back into its box before releasing it back on to me. I've had a lot more trouble importing motorcycle parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

To the best of my knowledge they are not classed as a machete, I brough one in an antique shop in Dublin a few years back.

just to let ye know lads, i ordered it, so in about 10 days or 2 weeks ill know the full story lol, a beautiful piece of kit. if and when she lands, ill put up a few pics
    thats all for now

A Country Voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

just to let ye know lads, i ordered it, so in about 10 days or 2 weeks ill know the full story lol, a beautiful piece of kit. if and when she lands, ill put up a few pics
    thats all for now

A Country Voice

" Fortune favours the brave":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

If your going to buy one try this crowd, http://www.himalayan-imports.com/ I bought one off them a few years ago. Didn't have any problems at the time with customs. When I moved into my house it came in very handy splitting blocks for the fire, but if it had slipped it would have taken the leg clean off me. They're a dangerous yoke so be bloody careful with it, that's if you decide to buy one.

thanks fox, we'll see if that holds true :D

no worries about safety, have another hunting knife, a bowie, and a 22 hornet, im actually kinda obsessive about safety with anything im doing, apart from 1 or 2 one night stands when i was younger lol, but thankfully got away with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

My daughter just brought a kukri home for me from Nepal with no problems. I was in Nepal years ago and saw them used as a general purpose tool, they were even cutting the grass in the park with them. They're a great tool, my old one gets used for trimming the Christmas tree every year.

Well Lads the "hunting knife" I ordered arrived today.
    No problems at all.
    Got a call from the courier company around 9:15am, met the courier at 9:25am. Doubt the package was opened on route. All was intact.
    A beautiful piece of kit. Total price including shipping 57 euros
    I'll try attaching a couple of pics now.
    It seems fortune does indeed favour the brave!!!:D

A Country Voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Well Lads the "hunting knife" I ordered arrived today.
    No problems at all.
    Got a call from the courier company around 9:15am, met the courier at 9:25am. Doubt the package was opened on route. All was intact.
    A beautiful piece of kit. Total price including shipping 57 euros
    I'll try attaching a couple of pics now.
    It seems fortune does indeed favour the brave!!!:D

A Country Voice

Thats my boy!!!:D:D- nice piece of gear there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sweet!:)Enjoy your new toy.!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement