Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving fat to dog

Options
  • 09-08-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

is it a bad idea to give left over fat from fry to a dog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

do you mean like fat off rashers or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I mean the left over fat from the frying pan when you are making sausages or bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

To mix in with their food is it?
    Well I think people are split on this. Some say they give it to their dogs (in moderation and combined with a healthy diet) and they're fine. Some say you shouldn't, and there are cases where fat like that from the pan or pork fat can make some dogs ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not really a great idea perhaps the odd bit now and then but it all depends what's been cooked in it.

Eg the fat run off from rashers and sausages can be high in salt.
    If vegetable oil is being used to fry it's fattier, frying in sunflower oil is better.
    If any onions have been used or are in any pudding that's being fried don't feed it. Not sure about mushrooms or tomatoes.

So say if you're frying up eggs, rashers plain sausages in sunflower oil the very occasional drizzle over the dogs food or whatever is fine.

Can imagine the dog loves it, although we all do but it's not the healthiest thing to give so keeping it as a treat is best.

I find with one of our pooches anything really oily upsets her tum. As said Pork fat can be very sickly to some dogs.

Your pooch will appreciate a tiny drizzle of sunflower oil once a week over his food just as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Not good for humans so I doubt if it would be the best for our four legged friends either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Think the occasional bit of fat from our pans in fine for our dogs, my three love a little bit mixed in with their usual dry dinner food from time to time. Or to find a bit of roast potato or buttery carrot at the bottom of their dinner bowl, YUM!! Dogs don't seem to suffer from heart disease or high cholesterol issues like us? My vet says that the important thing is that they don't get fat themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Can't see any harm in it as a rare treat but its definitely true that some dogs have issues digesting fat - you'll find out pretty quickly if this is the case with yours.

On the oils thing, I give the odd teaspoon of olive oil to my eldest dog during the winter as the central heating really seems to dry out her coat and skin and find it really helps her plus she loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What do you think they spray on kibble to make it smell so appetitising to animals?

Rendered cooking fat from takeaways and restaurants.

I still wouldn't feed it to my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Whenever K does a fry an extra sausage and rasher is put on for the dog. He licks all of our plates no matter what we have been eating and if we have a relatively healthy dinner he gets the scraps.

When he was a pup I was careful to the point of paranoia after him having parvo, but bit by bit allowed him to sample human food. He still gets everything he needs from his proper food, but likes to beg at the chopping board and loves raw carrots and mushrooms. He also robs raspberries and blackberries which grow out our back. He has a very very varied diet.

Years ago dogs got nothin but scraps and most were pretty healthy. I think if you're sure your dogs nutritional needs are met with a high quality base food, and your dog is active enough to burn off excess fat, then feed him what you like (besides things which can be toxic of course)

Advertisement