Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who was the best Captain?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Well Trekies.
    Is it the womanizing Kirk?
    The suarve Picard?
    The angry Sisko?
    The firey but strangly attractive Janeway?
    Or the rubbish Archer?

Best Trek Captain 89 votes

kirk
    0% 0 votes
    Picard
    21% 19 votes
    Sisko
    47% 42 votes
    Janeway
    17% 16 votes
    Archer
    13% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

kirk

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

Has to be Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Picard is not only the best captain but the coolest dude ever to grace a tv show.

Seriously did any man on tv ever have his shlt together as much as Picard?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mcgarnicle wrote: »
    Picard is not only the best captain but the coolest dude ever to grace a tv show.

Seriously did any man on tv ever have his shlt together as much as Picard?

Kirk would still kick his ass in a fist fight in some sand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLo1Xb8Ckqk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Isn't that the location for the gorn fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Kirk in both universes. He had the most faults but he also had unwavering loyalty to his crew and treated everyone equally. Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country showed him at his most vulnerable and strongest.

The other captains seemed to carry an air of self-satisfaction that gated on me. No reflection on the actors---and in fact I'd say if the writers had tapped more into Patrick Stewart's gentler side from the outset, they would have moulded a far more likeable character, but I found him cold and far too aristocratic compared to Kirk's plucky rebellious and humane hero. before you throw stones/fire phasers, remember that episode Picard refused to save a civilisation from extinction, but Worf's step-brother intervened? No way in hell Kirk would've stood back and let them die. Prime Directive be damned, he would've done the right thing.

And Picard only broke down in front of his snobby brother after his assimilation. Kirk would've shared some ale with his good friend Bones, and found solace in his other good friend Spock's support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Picard, without question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kirk in both universes. He had the most faults but he also had unwavering loyalty to his crew and treated everyone equally. Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country showed him at his most vulnerable and strongest.

The other captains seemed to carry an air of self-satisfaction that gated on me. No reflection on the actors---and in fact I'd say if the writers had tapped more into Patrick Stewart's gentler side from the outset, they would have moulded a far more likeable character, but I found him cold and far too aristocratic compared to Kirk's plucky rebellious and humane hero. before you throw stones/fire phasers, remember that episode Picard refused to save a civilisation from extinction, but Worf's step-brother intervened? No way in hell Kirk would've stood back and let them die. Prime Directive be damned, he would've done the right thing.

And Picard only broke down in front of his snobby brother after his assimilation. Kirk would've shared some ale with his good friend Bones, and found solace in his other good friend Spock's support.
    You do realise it's not real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Janeway or Kirk. They kicked ass. Picard was more like a social worker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would have to be Sisko for me. Picard may be the better Captain, but i've always prefered Sisko. Can't ever see Picard be willing to lie, cheat and be an accessory to murder to ensure the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. Sisko has balls of brass.

Who voted for Janeway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

She was kinda foxy!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sisko - he never accepted crap from anyone. None of this namby-pamby "love everyone" Federation BS. He also led a proper full-on war and rather than indulge a would-be son (Crusher) like Picard, he abandoned his to become a living God.

Whatever about Janeway, who the hell voted for Archer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Isn't that the location for the gorn fight?

Hell yeah it is. I think the stick is the same prop too!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rigumagoo

Kirk would kick Picard's ass in a fight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

But Sisko would take them all on....at the same time. He'd even punch Janeway in the face if he needed to (or just felt like it).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

so hard to choose but chose picard, sisko and kirk being next

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Picard but Sisko a close second only because it was TNG that I grew up watching.

+1 for Archer though I really liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Kirk for four reasons:

1 He bedded all the hot ladies and aliens...respect for that, big man.

2 He always punched first and was a hard ass in hand to hand combat

3 when on the bridge, he wasn't a diplomat, he was a war whore."Fire Phasers" :pac:

4 Did I mention the ladies?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd have to say Kirk. Never really watched the original episodes but from the films alone he was excellent.

Janeway is NOT stangely attractive, just a munter full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Picard was the best captain. Cool under pressure, outstanding diplomat, not afraid to make the tough decisions and has the absolute respect of his crew and his peers.

But, if I were choosing who I'd like to serve under -- so long as I'm not wearing a red shirt -- it'd probably be Kirk. Much more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Picard <snip> because it was TNG that I grew up watching.
    Picked Picard for the above reason, with Kirk a close second because
    Kirk for four reasons:

1 He bedded all the hot ladies and aliens...respect for that, big man.

2 He always punched first and was a hard ass in hand to hand combat

3 when on the bridge, he wasn't a diplomat, he was a war whore."Fire Phasers" :pac:

4 Did I mention the ladies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

ixoy wrote: »
    Sisko - he never accepted crap from anyone. None of this namby-pamby "love everyone" Federation BS. He also led a proper full-on war and rather than indulge a would-be son (Crusher) like Picard, he abandoned his to become a living God.

Whatever about Janeway, who the hell voted for Archer?

That would be me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I didn't like Sisko. I remember one episode he committed genocide by destroying an entire planet just to catch some DS9 Starfleet officer (who had a bit part on the show for a while) because the guy defected to the Marquis. Picard managed to kick ass without ever having to do that. Had that storyline been more true to life Sisko would have been stripped of his rank and court martialed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Slice wrote: »
    Had that storyline been more true to life Sisko would have been stripped of his rank and court martialed.
    And Kirk would have had a kid from every single planet he ever went to...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I'm going to say Picard but that's the Picard from the TV Show not the films, TV-Picard and Film-Picard are two different characters if you ask me. With Film-Picard all the integrity the man had shown during TNG just went out the window and he became this shoot first, ask questions later kind of captain... which just went against everything the character had ever stood for and itsucked, it sucked balls. It was still fun seeing him give orders to mindlessly blow up enemy ships, disobey orders and, most ridiculously of all, mercy killing his own crew... but it didnt have the depth of character we were shown in TNG.

He's the only captain who got progressively worse imo, but I grew up with him and he's still the best in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Picard when he was Borg?
    Pure Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

Pike?

I just watched TOS pilot for the first time. I'm soon going to start watching the rest of TOS for the first time (well first time I've seen more than just bits of episodes).

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Kiith wrote: »
    Who voted for Janeway?

I did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

picard for definate, he was the best captain, i grew up on tng & was hooked for years thought he was brilliant.

Advertisement