Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance - other side of the problem

Options
  • 09-08-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi
    I didn't want to hijack the thread on rent allowance so I'll start a new post.
    I've been in private rented accomodation for the last few years while sorting out my divorce. A few weeks before the divorce is made final, I get made redundant. (Nice one I know :( ) I'm getting maintenance and I got a modest redundancy so I've been told I would get some rent allowance although not a lot - which is fair enough.
    I am now faced with having to ask my landlord to sign the rent allowance application form.
    The community welfare officer told me that the forms won't be processed for months anyway because they are on strike. Realistically if i can't get work by the end of October I'll have to move back in with my mum anyway so I'm wondering whether I should bother applying for rent allowance at all.

I'm worried about getting the landlord spooked and him kicking me out because he doesn't want someone on social welfare in the house. What do you think - does the fact that I have been a squeaky-clean tenant for 6 years outweigh that in the current climate?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Of course your record with the landlord will stand to you and its not going to be easy for him to find new tenants so you don't really have an option in just getting them to sign the form. Bit of luck you will find some work before then.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I think you should just explain your circumstances to him and apply anyway, regardless how long it may take for your claim to process. Any fairminded person will know what's happened doesnt reflect on you personally, and anyway, I suspect rent allowance is fast losing its dodgy reputation among landlords, as it is sure money every month and there is less and less sure money to be had in this climate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They're not on strike by the way- just snowed under in a deluge of paper. They have requested additional staff from other Departments- and there has been a request sent by the Department of Finance to try to identify people who may help them out (even in their current jobs).

Definitely apply- it may take a while- but it will be backdated to when you applied. Even if its a while coming- it will be worthwhile in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Can't believe the number of landlords who still will not accept RA. If their tax dodging then fair enough...live by the sword and so on. They can keep dodging their taxes while their property sits empty. All above board landlords should be accepting RA in this climate.

For example I currently pay 900e a month but it looks like I am out of a job soon. So I'm only looking at new places with either a 6 month lease or accept RA. I'm well educated, have a good job and have never damaged a property I have lived in. I would have taken at least 5 properties but none of them would accept RA or allow a 6 month lease. Those properties have been empty for months and will still be empty when I have settled into my new place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Do not assume that Landlords are tax dodging purely because they refuse to accept rent-allowance. Rent-allowance can vary, is not necessarily paid on the same day each month, can be paid directly to the tenant rather than the landlord- and if arrears build up- and be impossible to clear.

It can often take days of phone calls to sort out what should be simple little queries- logistically it can be a nightmare for both landlords and tenants.

Many landlords simply do not want the hassle of rent-allowance- there is no disrespect intended towards the prospective tenants, and from the other direction- prospective tenants should not assume they are tax dodging criminals- the mundane explanation is true more often than not.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fionaincork

Thanks for the input - I approached the landlord and he signed the form no problem. Now I just have to get on the local authority housing list before I can apply for the rent allowance. There sure are a lot of forms to fill out with a lot of different authorities. And they all want the original birth cert so i have to do them in sequence. Its an education in itself dealing with all of this - never thought I'd have to.

No the CWO definitely used the term "industrial action" - gave me a flyer explaining that IMPACT members in Cork and Kerry are involved in industrial action - I guess they must be more swamped than others?

Fiona

Advertisement