Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help remember old haunts in Ardee

Options
  • 09-08-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

HI,
    could you help me remember names of old pubs/ shops/ hang out areas in Ardee? That are no longer existing
    ( to be remembered by people now in their 30s-40's)

examples so far :

The clove
    joey roddys shop
    mooneys shop
    The river dee park
    college green park.

what was the name of the shop that sold all the sweets in jars at the traffic lights ( accross from the fire station- now a butchers - i think).

Any help would be appreciated.

names of old barbers??

Names of old hair salons?

Clothes shops
    Chippies?

old butchers - i think was Dunnes??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The sweet shop you're thinking of is Mickey Rogers'. Even though I'm only 23 I remember when I was young being brought upstairs in the shop to where the toys were. It was an attempt by my mother to get me to choose some affordable stuff for Santy. Never worked haha.

The pick n' mix in the shop was amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 molytom54

Oh My Gosh- i have been wrecking my head trying to remember that!
    thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Two of the old Barbers in the town were Ted Murray who had his barber shop where Indish Indian Take-away is now, He was an elderly gent when I first got a haircut there and retired in the early 70's.Patsy Callan who had a room in Philip French's premises which was a BicycleRepair Shop. Patsy then moved to a place beside the Railway Station on Sean O'Carroll St then finally onto Castle St where (Katy Kerley is now)before retiring.
    Patsy Duggan had a unisex salon in a private house opposite the bakery and she retired about 10 years ago I think.
    As for Chippies Finan Mc Coy had a take-away (next door to his pub) where Mullen's is now (even that was a Chinese restaurant/take-away in the early 80's)
    Also, Joe O'Connor who owns the Vivo Supermarket opposite the church used to have one next to the shop. John McArdle (who died recently) used to have a restaurant where the Chinese Palace is now by the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 molytom54

Awe - that's a great help! thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

You're very welcome.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement