Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial windfall for ranges........

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    Well they can, because there's nothing stopping them joining another club.
    Except for distance. If you live in Galway and Lough Bo starts acting the maggot, where's your nearest target shooting club after that? 120km away in the midlands?

I spoke to a clay pigeon club secretary last night and he says he's seeing a lot of lapsed members enquiring about re-joining. I wonder why?
    Probably because those members haven't twigged that clay pigeon shooting is exempt from all of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Sparks wrote: »
    Probably because those members haven't twigged that clay pigeon shooting is exempt from all of this...

To that point sparks - can you get a shotty just to bust clays, but not be a member anywhere or have permissions on any land? Strange given there's well over 1000 Joules at the muzzle with these buggers (just read the ISD!) compared to my 'restricted' device that spits out at about 6J :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seems a bit daft allright bigred, but that's the story.
    BTW, your air pistol isn't restricted...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

BTW, your air pistol isn't restricted...

Agreed, but I still got the 31st Oct date. Did you get the same date for your piece of Russian engineering?

• Advertisement

Yup bigred. I'm guessing that anyone with a pistol of any kind, and anyone with more than two firearms, got the early deadline; the onus is on the applicant to correctly identify their firearm as restricted when applying, as got noted originally last february (see the document attached to that post).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Except for distance.

Agreed that can be a concern for some people but we (my club in Wicklow) have members from all over the country - I know one guy who travels from Mayo on a regular basis - another from Cavan - more from the four corners.

People will find a club that they like, not just the nearest one - and join that.

A club is not just a 'requirement for your license' - it has a social aspect aswell so that is a major factor.

Lads in Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, etc are lucky to have Lough Bo but they are not afraid to travel to Wicklow, Kildare, Cork, etc. for competition.

Distance is not the problem some people see it as being. It is just another of the major commitments you need to make to get into this sport.

I've travelled to Wicklow, Kildare, Cork, Northern Ireland, Germany and Austria already this year for competitions and the year is but a pup.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Agreed that can be a concern for some people but we (my club in Wicklow) have members from all over the country - I know one guy who travels from Mayo on a regular basis - another from Cavan - more from the four corners.
    And we've had WTSC members who travelled regularly from as far as Waterford. But you and I are talking about the cracked eejits there, not the average plinker :D
    Your average rifle-shooting barrister isn't going to take kindly to being told to feck off out of the club and drive another hundred km to get to somewhere he has to go to, just because the club owner didn't like his shoes...
    A club is not just a 'requirement for your license' - it has a social aspect aswell so that is a major factor.
    For those who already go to the club regularly, yes.

Thing is, we're not talking about a group of new dedicated regulars suddenly turning up; we're talking about a new group of people, who just want to plink, and who are now being forced to join a club to do so. It's not the same kind of ethos we're talking about. Not to mention that what we choose to do and what we are forced to do always feel different, even when the activity is the same!

Advertisement