Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spar putting pictures of "shoplifters" on the door.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Kipperhell wrote: »
    So no photo put up?

I know how the process works with one big chain and I know that the photos put up are generally people they convict. The other photos being of people they want to catch/deter due to repeat footage. Many places use security companies to review footage also.

You seem to have the impression they are completely reckless. No matter your opinion they aren't going to stop doing it due to the reduction in shop lifting once a picture is put up. :P

No i am not under the impression they are completely reckless. i am just saying that someone in a shop could make a mistake. Sure most place are probably careful but that doesnt mean every shop is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Still against the law.

It is.

This is after hours and it is like beating ones head off a brick wall trying to make a point.

Yes but no offence the point you are making isnt entirely correct. If you take footage or a photo of someone you can do what you want with it (unless i think the photo was taken on their property)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Last night a woman came in when I was busy and alone in my store. She picked up stuff and walked out with it. THEN came back in again and did it again. !!!

On reviewing my CCTV after closing, I saw exactly what she did. I copied her face into paint and imported it into Word with the text : Could this lady please contact *ME* as I would like to talk to her.

Two posters put up at nine this morning at the tills. Half twelve comes, "hey, thats my sister "!!!

Result: signs now down, sister to be brought in to see me and made pay and a bit extra to teach her a lesson, and finally, her brother will sort her out so she will never do it again.

A very good result me thinks.... No guards needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Bob Z wrote: »
    No i am not under the impression they are completely reckless. i am just saying that someone in a shop could make a mistake. Sure most place are probably careful but that doesnt mean every shop is.

I await it to happen and think it never will. Reality has yet to make possibilities a deterrent based on actual out comes. I think you are wrong about how easy the mistake could be even possible. It has been in practice for well over 10 yes without any issues but have more problems banning people from stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

I remember being in the spar up by (Jack Malloy's ?) in Waterford city and seeing an still image of a chap looking over his shoulder with the caption of something like,"please help us identify this weeks random prize winner", all i could think was shoplifter but hey they might have a weekly prize.:)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

JustinOval wrote: »
    Is that Little Island? I think it's a great idea, when I saw the pics there was no text.

No text - no accusation? :D

Little Island, yeah.

Hate that Spar, I have a feeling the management are the real thieves.

For example they NEVER give you a receipt with your order.
    I was suspicous they were overcharging me so my last order came to about 16 euro which seemed a little dear.

I asked the guy(manager not one of the Polish shop assistants) for a receipt and STRAIGHT AWAY he says he didn't give me the price on a special offer. (It was 6 little Apple juices for 1 euro, he was charging me 3.50 for them).

I looked at him sheepishly and said whatever and walked out the door.

Haven't been back there since. There's a mace closer to my house that I go in instead, only went to Spar for drink but I'm off the booze now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Disgraceful from Spar. Innocent until proven guilty??? I'll be taking my hard earned cash somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Result: signs now down, sister to be brought in to see me and made pay and a bit extra to teach her a lesson, and finally, her brother will sort her out so she will never do it again.

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Funjunkie

jhegarty wrote: »
    Only the state can deem someone guilty.

What we have here is libel if they can't prove the person is shoplifter. Just stating a fact (he stole from our shop) if they can.

I think it would be Slander rather then Libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 straightup

hang on a minute .let me get one thing straight althought their are majority of of experienced shoplifters out their that prey on on shops out their that are making an honest living by trying to provide an cheap affordable retail service to their local community wich should be respect their are honest hard working people who have been accused I'm the wrong

So does it specifically say they are shoplifters, or did you just "guess"[/QUOTE]

Ok they didn't specifically state it but it's pretty obvious.

I guess Spar have their bases covered by not saying "THESE PEOPLE ARE SCUMBAG THIEVES" on their pictures, lol.[/Quote]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

jayteecork wrote: »
    As you walk into my local Spar, there are pictures of persons leaving the premises, recorded on the store security cameras.

These are pictures of people of people Spar deemed to have been shoplifting and have posted their pictures in the hope of disgracing them i guess.

While I don't think this is a bad idea per se, I'm just wondering about the legaility of the whole idea.
    I mean, what happened to being innocent until proven guilty?

It's pretty serious posting someone's picture on a shopfront claiming them to be a thief without the benefit of proof.

I've noticed this practice in a Spar in Cork city too.
    You are assuming they dont have proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Thread is 3 years old.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement