Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Phone Issue

• 09-08-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I posted this in consumer issues but didn't get too far! Hopefully there are a few experts here who might be able help.

I'm having a problem trying to get anywhere with a phone issue with Meteor.

This is the basics of a letter I sent Meteor last Friday 2 weeks and sums up the problem:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you because after about 6 months of normal use the phone I purchased would suddenly die during calls despite the battery reading full and would only last a day of very light use provided no calls were received/made. This rendered the phone unfit for its purpose as a mobile phone and represented a serious fault in the phone.

I then brought the phone to (a Meteor shop) who offered a repair of the phone. I accepted this offer, and they sent the phone to Sigma Telecom for repair. I received the phone back and the same issue reoccurred with the phone. At that point I had a series of phone calls with Meteor Customer Care and visits to (the same meteor shop) where I got conflicting advice on whether to return the phone again or pursue other means of redress.

After this time I then contacted the National Consumer Agency where they informed me that under law, because the repair failed and the same fault occurred, I was entitled to other means of redress, namely a replacement or refund.

On 20/7/2009, I rang Meteor Customer Care once again and spoke to ***** *****, a Team Leader at Meteor Customer Service. I informed her of my rights as a consumer but was told that Meteor operates a policy where three returns are required before other forms of redress are considered. However, I could find no mention of this policy. I then rang Meteor Customer Care and spoke to **** again. I asked for her assistance in finding this policy and was eventually told by her that she could not find said policy. I believe she has now forwarded my complaint onto the Meteor Legal Department and she also gave me an address to make a formal complaint.

I would appreciate a response to my complaint within 10 working days.

Yours sincerely,

Me

The letter also included details of the purchase and exactly what I wanted as form off redress, along with more details, but i shortened it so someone might actually read it!

The 10 working days is up, I think my claim is justified, what do ye think?

Where do I go from here with my complaint because it doesn't look like I'll be getting a response?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Thanks, sounds like a plan!

It can be hard get through the red tape at times, I guess they just hope for people to give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

We all have to as consumers take a stand

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

If you're going the Small Claims route, make sure you've the full company title for Meteor. If you don't have it, any court orders might be unenforceable. http://www.cro.ie/search/ is the place to look for a company's full title.

• Advertisement

Thanks man!

Pacquiao fan is it!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

have you tried posting on meteor's forum ? They wouldn't want the bad press on their website for too long and you might get it sorted without the small claims - only a thought (plus it might help other people in the future )

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    have you tried posting on meteor's forum ? They wouldn't want the bad press on their website for too long and you might get it sorted without the small claims - only a thought (plus it might help other people in the future )

Yeah I might try that and get back to ye, be great if it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

you could also let it go back to fonefix a second time, I know there's a principal and fact of law involved but they might replace it or repair it the second time, maybe give them a call and see what they say...could save you a day in court..

what's the phone and what's the problem with it, is it just a battrey fault?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

they'd prob just delete it tbh

• Advertisement

you could also let it go back to fonefix a second time, I know there's a principal and fact of law involved but they might replace it or repair it the second time, maybe give them a call and see what they say...could save you a day in court..

what's the phone and what's the problem with it, is it just a battrey fault?

Its a LG Viewty. Once the phone is fully charged it only lasts a day then would die during the night (if left on), very annoying for alarms as I found out the first night! Also it dies after a few seconds of a phonecall despite reading fully charged.

They sent it away and it came back with a new battery and updated firmware but the same problem occurred. I bought it off the net and the shop I went to to get it sent back weren't too interested in sending it back for me a second time and actually suggested I look into getting a replacement.

It has kind of become a stubornness thing for me at this stage!

I had the same problem with the viewty twice, once with my first one which was replaced under warranty for a different fault (kept dropping signal) and then with the one it was replaced with...
    Even if they replaced the phone you could end up with the same issue, it's a nice phone worth sorting it out..
    Not surprised with the shops reaction but they should send it away again for you...just be polite as their getting nothing at all for helping you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Correct. It's a different company altogether actually! If you bought it online, you need to address the SMC stuff to Sigma Telecom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I called the NCA about the policy and was told that it's legal. Odd I know but that's what they said

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I called the NCA about the policy and was told that it's legal. Odd I know but that's what they said

Why does it even have to go to court them, If meteor/o2/voda/nokia/lg etc are found to be ignoring the law they should be forced by the NCA to mend their ways, did they tell you what they can do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

OP: I agree that your problem should be addressed - but you mention that you sought redress ...... was this beyond replacing the handset? Like, were you looking for compensation? I think that this might be a step too far!

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    OP: I agree that your problem should be addressed - but you mention that you sought redress ...... was this beyond replacing the handset? Like, were you looking for compensation? I think that this might be a step too far!

No nothing like that! Just something other then another repair, I left it up to them really. I suggested a meteor voucher as I kind of want to move away from LG after this incident, suitable do you think?

Sam Vimes wrote: »

Yeah I guessed it might in some way be acceptable i.e. once you buy the phone you agree to this policy...but then I done a little research and couldn't find any mention of this policy in their terms and conditions on their website (where i bought it from) therefore I didn't agree to this policy if you get me?

I rang after that and asked the girl I was talking to in customer care to help me find the policy. After about 5 minutes on hold she came back on and told me she couldn't find it!

So I'm guessing it's just something they say to make people jump through hoops and the policy doesn't actually exist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It would seem so but apparently not....

Yeah this path seems to be paying dividends for me today, have had a few e-mails back and forth with one of the lads working on the forums there and he seems keen to help me out.

Great suggestion, thanks very much, I believe I saw you floating about on their forums this morning!? Thanks for the add!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

I hope it works out well for you and I'm glad they didn't delete the post. Let us know how it is resolved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

ballyrhy86 wrote: »
    Thanks man!

Pacquiao fan is it!?

No probs ;). And it's Pac Man (as in "wakka wakka wakka" from the 80s arcades) Fan :p.
    ballyrhy86 wrote: »
    Yeah this path seems to be paying dividends for me today, have had a few e-mails back and forth with one of the lads working on the forums there and he seems keen to help me out.

Great suggestion, thanks very much, I believe I saw you floating about on their forums this morning!? Thanks for the add!
    Good to hear. Hope things work out well for you.

Looks like it's all working out, got a call there and they're going replacing the phone for me.

Thanks for all the help, I'd recommend the Meteor forums as a place to highlight any you issue you feel is being ignored, it seems to have worked for me anyway!

Ballyrhy86

Advertisement