Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands are best heard and not seen?

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Ok recently I'v started to notice that more and more when I prefer to remain listening to a band rather than see what they look like.

Ok now I know this may seem shallow but well I sometimes see a band that I like I might start to picture them differently when listening to their music. Or I sometimes have trouble separating their music with what they have done.

I'll give a couple of examples. I started to listen to Placbo a month or two ago, mainly their older stuff and I quite liked it. But now recently I have seen videos and interviews with em. And well to be honest they look like some tools! And they seem unlikeable or something and well it just feels different now when I listen to their music.

Also people like Amy Winehouse where their music is brill but she really ****ed up there private life.

Am I the only one who feels like this? Am I the only one who has trouble separating music with the musicians?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

well I never read auto-biography's by musicians because the truth is most of them are idiots.
    I don't usually read interviews either although im reading Totally Wired at the moment who features interviews with a number of people involved in the post punk scene and while some of them are interesting some of them come across as complete idiots and its possible I wouldn't have bothered listening to their music if I had read the interviews first David Thomas (Pere Ubu) in particular came across as a completely unlikable individual and not in a Mark E Smith such a complete areshole he is almost charming kind of way.

I dislike Bono so much I cant listen to U2 anymore even though some of their early stuff isnt completely terrible.

Anyway I would agree to the extent that musicians are best judged on their music and everything else should be ignored as its likly you will only be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Morrissey is an out and out fool (Read his genius insight into how Mad Cow Disease might not have been such a bad thing if it could have killed 'hundreds of Americans', or something equally charming) but The Smiths will always be one of my favourite bands. Likewise, I love his solo material :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

well I never read auto-biography's by musicians because the truth is most of them are idiots.
    I don't usually read interviews either although im reading Totally Wired at the moment who features interviews with a number of people involved in the post punk scene and while some of them are interesting some of them come across as complete idiots and its possible I wouldn't have bothered listening to their music if I had read the interviews first David Thomas (Pere Ubu) in particular came across as a completely unlikable individual and not in a Mark E Smith such a complete areshole he is almost charming kind of way.

I dislike Bono so much I cant listen to U2 anymore even though some of their early stuff isnt completely terrible.

Anyway I would agree to the extent that musicians are best judged on their music and everything else should be ignored as its likly you will only be disappointed

I couldn't put it better myself. Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

Advertisement