If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first amp & speakers

• 09-08-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭

hi all,

want to buy my first reciever and speakers with it but i'm totally new to this...

already have a 40' full hd tv + ps3 and missing the surround sound :(.

my budget is around €500 but can strech it a bit... should i keep saving for another while or is there something decent out there???

the more i read about it the more undecided i get :confused:

thanks for your help

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Izy,

Thanks a million for the post!

Ok you can get decent surround for €500 and we would start with something like the Onkyo TXSR307 AV receiver and the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speaker system - we can do this system delivered at just £399.95 / €469.99

The simplier alternative is the full Onkyo system which includes a 307 receiver and a matched Onkyo speaker system - the HTS5205 which is an excellent alternative at just £379.95 / €449.99 however I do think that the 307 / SFX system will sound quite a lot better!

If you want to blow the budget a little - you could step up to the Denon AVR1610 (you will see there are many happy Denon AV Boardies here), again with the SFX kit at just £519.95 / €599.99 - this will sound quite a bit meatier than the 307 combo.

I hope that this is of some use to you and please do give me a shout if you have any queries or if we can assist in any way.

Thanks again for the post!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Hi John, thanx for this,

just wonderin how much would it set me back for the yamaha rxv 565 with the speaker set you recommend.
    (spent the night looking at it and kinda like it :D & is there much difference between that and the Denon one)
    looking to have true Hd on it & DTS master audio witch i dont think the onkyo has.

i'd like to sort this out today and order it so it hopefully arives by friday so i can have a bit of fun over the weekend :-)

thanks for the quick reply

izy

Izy wrote: »
    Hi John, thanx for this,

just wonderin how much would it set me back for the yamaha rxv 565 with the speaker set you recommend.
    (spent the night looking at it and kinda like it :D & is there much difference between that and the Denon one)
    looking to have true Hd on it & DTS master audio witch i dont think the onkyo has.

thanks for the quick reply

izy

Izy,

Thanks for the post again!

I have not personally heard the 565 yet - however if you are considering breaking the budget to that extent then really you should have a look at the superb AVR1910 which has just won the What Hi-Fi group test of AV receivers (Yamaha/Sony/Onkyo/Denon) - this will bust the budget but really does sound head and shoulders above what we were looking at earlier! Again with the Tannoy SFX kit we can do this system at £619.95 / €729.99 - However at this level you could really start to look at better speakers as the Denon is starting to wring out the last out of the SFX kit and you could really significantly get better quality by upgrading the speakers - if thye budget is tight posssibly an option would be to buy a budget 5.1 pack (something like the Yamaha NSP110 at just £79.95) and replace them when the budget allows with something like the Kef KHT or the Monitor Audio Radius packs?

Sorry for being so long winded - but this system is getting interesting now;)

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

so what would it be with better speakers???

any of the above able for 7.1 sound???

the last one with the denon is quite affordable for me so its the winner so far.

thanks izy

just placed an order.... should get it by wednesday :D
    sorted within 10 minutes, got all the answers i needed. one word only - EXCELENT

Can't thank enough for John's help with this. thank you

will be back when i have it all set up...

definetelly recomending his services to every(body)boardie...;)

• Advertisement

hi,
    just an update, due to some stupid issues with my cc i only gettin my new gadgets 2moro:D(propably wont sleep 2nite)

thanx again to John & the lads in richersounds...

will update again...

hi all

got all my new gadgets on friday afternoon:D but only gettin around to comment now...

its unreal... the same movies are completely different and online gaming is out of this world...

but i was not aware of the fact that i wont be able to play true hd from my playstation3:mad:

well i read through a few forums and as it looks its not possible :confused:

its only a matter of me not seing my icon light up but its a little frustratin

any1 any ideas???

hi all

got all my new gadgets on friday afternoon:D but only gettin around to comment now...

its unreal... the same movies are completely different and online gaming is out of this world...

but i was not aware of the fact that i wont be able to play true hd from my playstation3:mad:

well i read through a few forums and as it looks its not possible :confused:

its only a matter of me not seing my icon light up but its a little frustratin

any1 any ideas???

Izy,

Whilst I'm not a PS3 expert by any means, No I don't think that you will be able to get Dolby true HD via your PS3 as it does not output this format.

Great to hear you are enjoying your system and as ever do drop us a line if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

You can output the HD sound formats on PS3, it just that the PS3 does the decoding instead of the receiver.

You can output the HD sound formats on PS3, it just that the PS3 does the decoding instead of the receiver.

so my icon doesnt light up but its true hd:D

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

so my icon doesnt light up but its true hd:D

thanks

Yeah, as long as you have selected HDMI audio set to LPCM on the PS3. Multi-channel or something similar should be displayed on AMP but no HD logo but it still HD Audio.
    Also manually check what sound format you have selected in the Bluray movie menu as they don't always automatically select the HD audio soundtrack.
    Good luck.

Yeah, as long as you have selected HDMI audio set to LPCM on the PS3. Multi-channel or something similar should be displayed on AMP but no HD logo but it still HD Audio.
    Also manually check what sound format you have selected in the Bluray movie menu as they don't always automatically select the HD audio soundtrack.
    Good luck.

thanks a lot moolers2000,

the amp says multi channel in + dolby PIIx, and yes i made sure the audio settings on the ps3 are set to true hd.
    thanks again

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.