Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy checking sniff or finger

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am soon expecting and I am just wondering which is better; sniffing the baby's bum or checking using the finger. I am just wondering other parents views on this, especially mums. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

I always checked my kids by pulling their pants half way down and just pulling the nappy away from their bum to see inside....but im sure baby will let you know when its dirty!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

good lord not the finger! surprise poo!! yeah, just sniff and if youre not sure just have a peep, better than ****-logged finger nails...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I sniff... I tried pulling the nappy at the side of the leg... but my baby can do tiny poo's that I couldn't see so sniffing her works... if in doubt I just change her anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

With my two, I could usually tell without sniffing too closely ;)
    Never use a finger without looking, there may be a nasty surprise lurking!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

OP you're hilarious :rolleyes: I find sticking my whole face inside the nappy works for me!!! :p
    It's obviously a piss take people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can get a special nappy thermometer that you slide into the front of the nappy.

If the brown end lights up: you're looking at chocolate surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

lalalulu wrote: »
    OP you're hilarious :rolleyes: I find sticking my whole face inside the nappy works for me!!! :p
    It's obviously a piss take people!!!

Maybe it isnt a piss take. Personally Id sniff the bottom. Especially handy if there was more than one baby there.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

or you could wait till theres about 7 kilos of ****e in a 5 kilo nappy :P you can tell by the bulge looks like a sack of small taters :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have an issue with a post report it, less of the silly responses please.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the answers so far. If more like to comment please do. Even in tv programmes or films mums dont be sniff checking as much as they used to. I hope this isnt been seen as a joke. I was only wondering was it still seen as socially acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To be honest, my OH kinda grimaces when I sniff my daughters nappy... he just whips off the nappy and changes it regardless!!

Whatever is suitable for you, don't worry about what other people think... just... don't stick your finger in the poo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

JAYSUS!!
    imagine if there was a whole heap of the little poopmysters loose in the house and you got the whif

where would you start?
    i ask you where?

i suppose one could start by telling the wife you have something real important to do down the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

Thanks for the answers so far. If more like to comment please do. Even in tv programmes or films mums dont be sniff checking as much as they used to. I hope this isnt been seen as a joke. I was only wondering was it still seen as socially acceptable.

i'd say go for it with the finger least when you pull out the finger you'd be a 100% sure:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

Certainly you can usually smell.

However I found that I could eventually tell when our little one was filling her nappy. She went a little 'too silent' , and there was usually a look of concentration on her face . Or later when she was standing up , she would stand still to ' perform '

OP , what I am trying to say , don't worry you will know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seriously though: for a really young baby, pull the nappy away at the leg and peep in.

For an older infant, you'll smell it quick enough when close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Or a lot of babies just put on that grimacey concentrating face, accompanied with loud grunts!

I go with sniffing it myself, and change it if in doubt.

(Not a parent myself, just a regular babysitter.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

This lady has no problem in sniffing the baby to see if its smelly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boV5zQXIfDo

Advertisement