Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical effects of shooting

Options
  • 09-08-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

I suffer from fairly noticble shaking in my hands (sometime my whole body if I have had a bad shock or too much coffee). A friend of mine introduced me to shooting about 9 months ago and I had the pleasure of shooting a number of disciplines including benchrifle and pistols.

For some reason after a days shooting my shaking is noticbly less pronounced. I didnt really notice it much myself until a few of my close friends mentioned it on the way home and later in the day.

Its an unusual thing to have happen but it is very welcome. Something about having to relax and control your bodies tiniest movements so as to stay on target seems to help.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any positive phyical effects from shooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

just unpleasant slight ringing in the ears
    lesson for the day
    wear ear plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You sound like you are suffering somthing called Adrenaline dump...:D.
    A perfectly legal and naturally produced high by your body.
    Caused by extreme emtions [fight or flight ].Sounds like you got a good buzz from this shooting drug then..:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I suffer from fairly noticble shaking in my hands (sometime my whole body if I have had a bad shock or too much coffee). A friend of mine introduced me to shooting about 9 months ago and I had the pleasure of shooting a number of disciplines including benchrifle and pistols.

For some reason after a days shooting my shaking is noticbly less pronounced. I didnt really notice it much myself until a few of my close friends mentioned it on the way home and later in the day.

Its an unusual thing to have happen but it is very welcome. Something about having to relax and control your bodies tiniest movements so as to stay on target seems to help.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any positive phyical effects from shooting?
    It has been noticed and is sometimes used as a therapy for people with spinal injuries.

It is the element of concentration on the finer muscle movements and control that help. Sparks will have more information on this I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

I've always reckoned that shooting is a form of relaxation therapy (ok, maybe not wildfowling :D).

Shooting, especially target shooting is just enough to completely occupy your mind without letting the day to day stuff enter too. It requires such concentration to be safe and indeed hit the bullseye that it is your sole focus for the time that you are on the range.

Surely Yoga, Tai Chi and many relaxation techniques put a lot of emphasis on inner focus too? Perhaps the OP is another one of the millions worldwide who benefit from sporting shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You sound like you are suffering somthing called Adrenaline dump...:D.
    A perfectly legal and naturally produced high by your body.
    Caused by extreme emtions [fight or flight ].Sounds like you got a good buzz from this shooting drug then..:D:D

Ha, no, I used to be a bouncer and have some experience in the ring so I'm used to adrenaline dump. Which is awesome if you can control it ;)

This is more along the lines of what rrpc and G17 were taling about. And I can confirm that Tai Chi has had a similar effect on me (as has Iaido and several other things) but takes a lot longer to achieve than with shooting.

• Advertisement

They have air rifles in the Central Remedial Clinic for this purpose. Some volunteers from the shooting sports help out with training and therapy.

I can understand Hivemind, how you achieve focus much quicker. It's literally because you have an object (the target) to focus on rather than an abstraction.

If you don't focus on the target, you miss. So you very quickly learn to concentrate properly. :)

And I can confirm that Tai Chi has had a similar effect on me (as has Iaido and several other things) but takes a lot longer to achieve than with shooting.

And so it is proven (I'll email The Lancet); Shooting is good for you!! :D:D

Edit: except Wildfowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The lancet already knows Grizzly, target shooting's been used as a medical study topic for decades. What Hive is experiencing is basicly the side-effect of a prolonged intensive session of biofeedback (which is one way of thinking about shooting I suppose). Like RRPC said, they've been using air rifle shooting for stroke rehab for years in Ireland, and longer abroad, as well as any other task that involves fine motor control and has an immediate and visual feedback (from shooting to art to handwriting to whatever).

The mental focus part that comes from the martial arts (and other high-intensity sports like weightlifting) isn't quite the same thing - it helps with the biofeedback but only by letting you focus more readily on the task at hand (nothing quite like martial arts for teaching your brain to shut up and get on with the job lest you go head-first into something painfully solid :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sparks wrote: »
    The lancet already knows Grizzly

EH?????????????????????????:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Punctuation again;)

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

EH?????????????????????????:confused:
    Sparks just having another senior moment Grizzly :D. He meant G17.

He's having a lot more of them lately, must be the impending nuptials :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

No - he meant that the Lancet knows Grizzly:D

fat-tony wrote: »
    No - he meant that the Lancet knows Grizzly:D
    I take it he wasn't in the placebo group so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Just seen the thread lads and was curious as to who or what is Lancet:D lol Good one

See, that's what happens when you read the thanks lists...

The Lancet's a medical journal kay.

rrpc wrote: »
    Sparks just having another senior moment Grizzly :D. He meant G17.
    He's having a lot more of them lately, must be the impending nuptials :p

Ah, the pre nup DTs, we can expect posts like-
    Where are the other two? Are those my feet?

I do want to be Grizzly however; nice hair; wonderful gait.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

To be fair, by the time I'm sufficiently ossified to not know my own feet, I'm well past the point where I can either operate a firearm or a keyboard with any degree of safety...

To be fair, by the time I'm sufficiently ossified to not know my own feet, I'm well past the point where I can either operate a firearm or a keyboard with any degree of safety...

LOL

Just remember to sneak your laptop on the honeymoon in case we need info!!!!! I'm sure the other half won't mind!!! :D:D:D:D

You jest G17, but only because you've not met herself...

dscf4939a.jpg

:D

You jest G17, but only because you've not met herself...
    dscf4939a.jpg
    :D

:eek::eek::eek:I'll be good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement