Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycling as a way to losing weight...

• 10-08-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Something struck me in the gym today. I was thinking about what I did and when and some things started to coincide. I used to be very heavy, I won't post the exact amount, but it was way above my healthy range, but now I'm ideal, with a lot of work and well, let's see...

I got my first bike about 2 years ago. Shortly after I started to lose weight. It may well be a combination, but do you think it's possible to lose weight purely by driving your bike?

It takes a lot more effort to drive a bike that a car, that I'm sure of. I drive my bike a LOT, every day and a lot of miles. What I'm wondering is if purely driving a bike can burn up excess calories.

I lost a lot of weight from the time I got my first bike, true I was trying very hard etc. but it happened. Short q -

Do you think driving a motorbike regularly uses enough of energy to lose weight in the medium - long term???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rigumagoo

1248657601555.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Ill leave you and your mac to it so!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I suppose all the moving and leaning you do has to be good for ya in some way. Never really thought about it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

it allows of to get home in 30 minutes so i can go for a 2 hour cycle instead of 60 minute car drive and 60 minutes in front of the tv...
    Put another way, like seany says you are constantly hauling 200kg around that particularly likes going in a straight line, but as to it's specific attributes to weight loss, i can't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xtentz

seanybiker wrote: »
    I suppose all the moving and leaning you do has to be good for ya in some way. Never really thought about it to be honest.

+1:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I really can't see many calories being burnt driving a motorbike. You don't actually do much strenuous movement whilst driving. Each movement is tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You would lose a few calories keeping your body temperture up. But wouldn't think it's enough to lose much weight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Lose loads of calories pushing the fvkcers home when they break down :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pushing them around to maneouver is the only thing i can think of. my upper body strength went all wobbly (like the rest of me was to begin with) when i was off the bike for a few weeks. As for losing weight through actually driving the thing, /me pats belly, doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I use the extra time I have at home because I commute by motorcycle to take my bicycle out of the shed and go for a 30 to 40 minute cycle most evenings :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

markfla wrote: »
    001.jpg

Jaysus, think he just scooped out the cows innards and stepped into the leather :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

markfla wrote: »
    001.jpg

The poor little ZX12 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Jaysus, think he just scooped out the cows innards and stepped into the leather :D
    Go to donedeal and look for the zx12r ad. Its excellent. Would link but im on mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Wasn't there a study done to say that you use more calories concentrating that you do excersising? And I seen an article a while back that said motorcyclists are more mentally sharp than others because we concentrate so much...

jameshayes wrote: »
    Wasn't there a study done to say that you use more calories concentrating that you do excersising? And I seen an article a while back that said motorcyclists are more mentally sharp than others because we concentrate so much...

The concentration uses energy for sure. That would be the main reason I'd argue it. You also maintain a certain level of tension in your body when biking, not like flopping down in a car. Some people eat too much and will always be big, but I do believe that when sensibility is factored in, biking uses a decent bit of energy. Think of how knackered you can be after going around Wicklow for three hours:rolleyes: Bit like walking around town, you don't notice it, but your actually using a lot of energy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Maybe its because you cant stuff your gob with Macky D's or cakes while riding.........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

The concentration uses energy for sure. That would be the main reason I'd argue it. You also maintain a certain level of tension in your body when biking, not like flopping down in a car. Some people eat too much and will always be big, but I do believe that when sensibility is factored in, biking uses a decent bit of energy. Think of how knackered you can be after going around Wicklow for three hours:rolleyes: Bit like walking around town, you don't notice it, but your actually using a lot of energy...

That's the part that I was thinking of when you posed your question. I'd say you use more energy than in the car but not an awful lot. Then again add together putting on your gear, moving bike manually, locking bike, hauling into garage or yard and covering it...all of that adds up especially if you push your bike hard when riding. Racing with your bike would be physically strenuous I imagine but everyday riding wouldn't take off too many ounces of fat but definitely more than a car would!

Ask in the gym!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Sids Not wrote: »
    Maybe its because you cant stuff your gob with Macky D's or cakes while riding.........:D

thats what i was thinking. also, as someone else said, being on a bike gives you a lot of free time compared to a car, so maybe you're using that free time well ??

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_do_you_burn_while_driving_motorcycle

I'd say this is a leisurely pace commuting. It also mentions a scooter or motorbike, so I'd personally take this as a starting point. 3 hours driving aggressively I'd imagine youd get 8-900 calories handy enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/924691

Maybe its cause you spend more time not snacking??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Sids Not wrote: »

You didn't try hard enough!! It is possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So if you concentrate really hard on a book with really small print, you lose weight? Brilliant! :) All the changing in and out of the gear must contribute some weight loss. And carrying the weight of a helmet.. And lifting the bike off it's sidestand.. Hmm.. All those miles wasted on foot, when I could've covered them on the bike ..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Do you think driving a motorbike regularly uses enough of energy to lose weight in the medium - long term???:confused:

No, but motorbiking does keep you active, and this could leed to an active life.
    For example - my bike tends to get me out of the house on Sundays. If I donlt go for a ride with mates, I might just go for a spin on my own.
    So, instead of spending the day sitting in front of the telly, I am out and about, meeting people, and doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Unless it's a hard to start kick starter, and/or stops a lot, a bike doesn't provide much exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Unless it's a hard to start kick starter, and/or stops a lot, a bike doesn't provide much exercise.

A flooded kickstarter provides a lot of exercise :o

:D

Advertisement