Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for this tiling job?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I need to get the border tiles only replaced in bathroom measuring
    5.5 ft x 6 ft , 28 border tiles total, how much do you reckon it would cost?
    Thanks

IMG_1120.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well just to let you know its a difficult job.

First off it will take time to break out the borders, has to be really carefull not to chip any of the tiles above or below, which is difficult with the grout.

The you are limited to a border which will fit in between there, so the same size really - you should find one.

I don't think there would be much interest in doing it, but because of the nature of it i wouldn't expect you to get a cheap price.

The idea is simple, but the task is not.

I know you are more than likely on a budget you really should think of a complete refit.

Other than that a good scrubbing, and re-grouting over the top of the existing grout should freshen it up for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Thanks for reply, the problem is that the tiling job is not that old , about 4 years, but the border tiles seem to absorbed water, in the shower area and expanded and broke, so I'm thinking that they might not have been suitable for a bathroom in the first place, so I want to change them for a plain tile and maybe go with the regrout all over as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMCD25

I have worked with these borders before. They shouldnt chip tiles above or below when taking them out if carefull. Patience is whats needed with this job. Its not a hard job. These borders turn to dust like fragments. Regarding a quote to do it you would be talking bout 150 euro because once the borders are removed you still have to chip away at the adhesive that will be stuck to the wall which is very time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It's all very well coming up with a quote for a job you are not going to do,

you going to do it for that price then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

This could be a Pandora's box if the wall behind is a stud partition with plaster board and the water has got in behind the border tile.

Also is there a shower door/frame in the way, if so it will need to be taken out and put back.

I know this doesn't help but it could be a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

i dont know really, but you can find someone to do it on: www.tradesmen.ie . ask for a quote from the /company there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

DMCD25 wrote: »
    I have worked with these borders before. They shouldnt chip tiles above or below when taking them out if carefull. Patience is whats needed with this job. Its not a hard job. These borders turn to dust like fragments. Regarding a quote to do it you would be talking bout 150 euro because once the borders are removed you still have to chip away at the adhesive that will be stuck to the wall which is very time consuming.

+1 I know a lad that covers dublin. Not to sure if this is work your while but it will cost about a half day to a days work and that depends on how much.

I can PM you if you dont have someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMCD25

It's all very well coming up with a quote for a job you are not going to do,

you going to do it for that price then?

I am in galway so no im not going to be doing this job smartarse but if it was in galway that would be my price. Im just giving him an idea. Capiche...

Carlow52 wrote: »
    This could be a Pandora's box if the wall behind is a stud partition with plaster board and the water has got in behind the border tile.

Also is there a shower door/frame in the way, if so it will need to be taken out and put back.

I know this doesn't help but it could be a nightmare

The shower walls are external walls, even so there is the possibility that some water got in behind , although I've tried to be careful with this since discovering the problem.

Also the border tiles stop are the shower frames so I reckon they can be removed without removing the frames.

Thanks to all for the advice. Its given me a starting point to get moving on this before it gets even worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement