Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare/Britain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This type of thing bugs me too

They should say "In Ireland and the British Isles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Very annoying indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Ah it's great isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

aren't we geographically part of the british isle? just not politically?

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    aren't we geographically part of the british isle? just not politically?

Were called a Republic for a reason..

Edit; Seems im wrong, but still find the term annoying..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Sorry to ruin the rant but the island of Ireland is part of the British isles geographically.
    The didn't say Britian(England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall). They didn't sat the United Kingdom(Britian plus Northern Ireland). They said the British isles. We are in the British isles, as is the isle of man, our Atlantic islands, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Maybe this is just me, but I've never found this annoying. It's a geographical term, not a political one. Ireland & British make up the British Isles. If islands are grouped together in close proximity, it makes sense for people to have one term for them en masse.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Were called a Republic for a reason..

Edit; Seems im wrong, but still find the term annoying..

you just got served. ^^

Delighted this is my 100th post too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

you just got served. ^^

I read it as a 1000 and saw your post count... so YOU got served in my mind.

I read it as a 1000 and saw your post count... so YOU got served in my mind.

Balls. I hate when that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Jesus, are teachers not teaching kids anything anymore?

Ireland is part of the British Isles. Did ye not know that?

It annoys me too that it's still used as a geographical term. But it is and has been for centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

It's a geographical term, nothing to do with politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Every island in and around Britain and Ireland is part of a geographical area called the British isles. The term pre-dates the foundation of Britain as a nation, and indeed Britain took its political name from the geographical one.

you just got served. ^^

Remind me when i get to my 2000th to quote you with a random insult :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's been discussed a few times before but tbh, I don't mind if we're on a British Isle. It doesn't mean Clare is British.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Unless someone's got a very strong tow rope, or continental drift speeds up signifigantly, we're stuck in the british isles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:rolleyes:

Morons tbh.

The original "Britons" were the people who lived in these islands before the Romans, and the Angles/Saxons, and the Vikings and the Normans.

They spoke "Celtic" languages. I suppose none of you even heard of the tribe called "Scotti". They lived in Ireland, and moved to Scotland to set up a home, giving that country it's name.

When the Angles came to these islands, they forced the original Britons to the fringes, and even off the islands into "Brittany", Northern France, where a Celtic langiage is still spoken, related to Old Cornish and Welsh.

So yes, these are the "British Isles".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The peoples of Northwest France don't seem to be bothered.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Why is everyone so worked up over this chick?

http://en-gb.facebook.com/clare.britain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

AnonoBoy wrote: »

LOL FFS!!!! classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

brummytom wrote: »
    I would

Yeah, you would, wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I assume anyone that has a problem with it has a problem with the name "Irish Sea"?

brummytom wrote: »
    I would

I thought she'd be your type alright. She has that certain je ne sais quoi that you require in a woman.....

.... oh wait. Did I say je ne sais quoi? I meant pulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Have you people nothing more interesting to moan about? I notice that they didnt call it clare the culchie s**tbox in the west of Ireland.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Yeah, you would, wouldn't you?

Erm yeah... that's why I said it.

On topic, deelighted to find out Ireland's part of the British Isles :D

I thought she'd be your type alright. She has that certain je ne sais quoi that you require in a woman.....

.... oh wait. Did I say je ne sais quoi? I meant pulse.

You obviously know me too well.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Have you people nothing more interesting to moan about? I notice that they didnt call it clare the culchie s**tbox in the west of Ireland.

The reason they didn't say any such thing is that it is a record for the whole of the British Isles, not just for Clare.
    Then again, you being a junkie from a scumbag council estate in Dublin, I'm surprised you even know how to read, let alone type! Go out to the bordwalk and shoot up like the rest of your mates who have never managed to leave the "fair city" and start bleating on about how great Dublin is and how all the culchies are Gardaí who victimise poor Dubs like yourself!

• Advertisement

Clarehobo wrote: »
    The reason they didn't say any such thing is that it is a record for the whole of the British Isles, not just for Clare.
    Then again, you being a junkie from a scumbag council estate in Dublin, I'm surprised you even know how to read, let alone type! Go out to the bordwalk and shoot up like the rest of your mates who have never managed to leave the "fair city" and start bleating on about how great Dublin is and how all the culchies are Gardaí who victimise poor Dubs like yourself!

I see....

(And for the record, I'm not massively enamoured by Dublin either)

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I see....

(And for the record, I'm not massively enamoured by Dublin either)

lol - fair enough! Bit of an over-reaction on my part to idiotic comments. It's just a bad Monday: Excuse the chip;)

lol - fair enough! Bit of an over-reaction on my part to idiotic comments. It's just a bad Monday: Excuse the chip;)

Excused :D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

British and Irish Ilses

is what I thought it was these days?

The term "British Isles" implies UK ownership whether actual or not and I for one don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

British and Irish Ilses

is what I thought it was these days?

The term "British Isles" implies UK ownership whether actual or not and I for one don't like it.
    only in republican minds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Jasus thats some rant!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

The term "British Isles" implies UK ownership

Only to an imbecile, tbh.

Like it or not, the island of Ireland is the second largest of the archipelago, after the island of Great Britain. (Great meaning the largest, not "better"), and archipelagos usually take their name from the largest island of the group.

People need to read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain#Etymology

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Sorry to ruin the rant but the island of Ireland is part of the British isles geographically.
    The didn't say Britian(England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall). They didn't sat the United Kingdom(Britian plus Northern Ireland). They said the British isles. We are in the British isles, as is the isle of man, our Atlantic islands, etc...

Says who?
    I'm not British. Why should a name imply that Ireland has any connection to Britain?
    It's insulting and unnecessary. We don't need any name for the collection of islands. Ireland here and Britain over there. It's pretty simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Says who?
    I'm not British. Why should a name imply that Ireland has any connection to Britain?
    It's insulting and unnecessary.
    i look out of my window and see the irish sea, i feel insulted i think i dont like that name so i am going to tell everyone that its now called the english sea,it now belongs to the english [get a life]

Says who?

The Wikipedia. They're never wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_isles

Says who?
    I'm not British.

Nobody said you were. :rolleyes:
    Why should a name imply that Ireland has any connection to Britain?
    Because it does, both historically and presently.

To deny that is to deny reality. Again - :rolleyes:
    It's insulting and unnecessary. We don't need any name for the collection of islands. Ireland here and Britain over there. It's pretty simple.

lol

We don't NEED a name for anything, but it's a handy way to define an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Says who?

And they should get rid of the English market in Cork, the swines! Man the barricades.

Des wrote: »
    Only to an imbecile, tbh.

When did the term British isles come into common usage. I'm not referring to Britain. At what point in history did the inhabitants of these islands or indeed the islands themselves have a collective term?
    If geographical terminology refers to us then we should have a say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

why do people care! like it or not we are in a cluster of islands that has a very simple and straightforward name that defines it. It's not politics, imperialism or one-upmanship. You can be guaranteed British people don't care about this geographical description anymore than any other geographical term. why on earth should we!?

Because it does, both historically and presently.

To deny that is to deny reality. Again - :rolleyes:

Again, says who? Why should a geographical term refer to us when we had no say in the matter?

I might be heading to outer Germania in a few weeks. I always wanted to see Warsaw.
    lol

We don't NEED a name for anything, but it's a handy way to define an area.

Duh! We're Ireland; they're Britain. Not good enough for you?

getz wrote: »
    i look out of my window and see the irish sea, i feel insulted i think i dont like that name so i am going to tell everyone that its now called the english sea,it now belongs to the english [get a life]

The English can call it what they want. I have no problem with that. If the people who live in the sea have a problem then they can call it something else.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

That term annoys the hell out of my. It is antiquated. Of course it implies British ownership of Ireland. Just because people in Britain have used to for centuries to imply ownership doesn't mean that we should accept it. The Portuguese would not tolerate the Iberian peninsula being called the Spanish peninsula. The Austrians would not like allow their Alps to be called the German Alps.

The term is a colonial hangover. Its time to move on and find a better more accurate phrase – Anglo-Celtic Isles or some such. We have to assert ourselves as an independent country. It doesn't make us all IRA sympathisers to do that. It’s just growing a pair of balls and standing up to a class of British person (and some within our own country) who have never really came to terms with Irish independence.

When did the term British isles come into common usage. I'm not referring to Britain. At what point in history did the inhabitants of these islands or indeed the islands themselves have a collective term?

It's what the Romans called the Islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_(name)
    Latin Britannia is derived from the travel writings of the ancient Greek Pytheas around 320 BC, which described various islands in the North Atlantic as far North as Thule (possibly Iceland or the Shetland Islands).[2] Pytheas described Thule as the northernmost part of Πρεττανικη (Prettanike) or Βρεττανίαι (Brettaniai), his term for the entire group of islands in the far north-west.[3][4][5] Diodorus in the 1st century BC introduced the form Πρεττανια Prettania, and Strabo (1.4.2) has Βρεττανία Brettania. Marcian of Heraclea in his Periplus maris exteri describes αἱ Πρεττανικαὶ νῆσοι "the Prettanic Isles". Stephanus of Byzantium glosses Ἀλβίων Albion as νῆσος Πρεττανική, Μαρκιανὸς ἐν περίπλῳ αὐτῆς. τὸ ἐθνικὸν Ἀλβιώνιος ("the Pretannic island, according to Marcian in his periplus; the Albionian people" Ethnica 69.16).

In fact, the whole population of the Islands were called "British"
    The peoples of these islands of Prettanike were called the Πρεττανοι, Priteni or Pretani.[4] These names derived from a Celtic name which is likely to have reached Pytheas from the Gauls, who may have used it as their term for the inhabitants of the islands.[5][6] Priteni is the source of the Welsh language term Prydain, Britain, which has the same source as the Goidelic term Cruithne used to refer to the early Brythonic-speaking inhabitants of Ireland and the north of Scotland

Priteni/Cruithne is the source of the names of the two branches of Celtic Languages (P-Celtic is Welsh/Cornish/Breton, and Q-Celtic is Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Manx, where the initial sound of various related words has either a "P" or a "Q/K/C")
    :)
    If geographical terminology refers to us then we should have a say.

Um, tell that to the Americans. North, Central and South.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    The term is a colonial hangover.

Yes.

Since the ROMANS colonised the islands, and pushed the British people to the fringes.

This island WAS NOT always called IRELAND.

The name Ireland has been in use for a far shorter period than "British Isles".

The name Ireland has been in use for a far shorter period than "British Isles".

So? Are you saying we go back to calling it Hibernia? Words and meaning change over time. We have to adapt. The Roman meant no harm back than. They thought the world was flat though and didn't know American existed. I fail to see why in 2009 we should be using their definition particularly that it has (as this thread proves) taken on a political dimension.

Since the ROMANS colonised the islands

:eek:The Romans colonised Ireland???

• Advertisement
Advertisement