Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations.

Options
  • 10-08-2009 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

hi guys,
    section 4, 3 or more guns, a couple friends have 4 firearms, the have the proper gun boxs, but no alarms on the house,
    will this be inforced straight away,?????????????

the alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service,operated by a person licensed by a private security authority and supported with gsm nobile telephone service back up signalling facilities,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

MIDLAND wrote: »
    hi guys,
    section 4, 3 or more guns, a couple friends have 4 firearms, the have the proper gun boxs, but no alarms on the house,
    will this be inforced straight away,?????????????

the alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service,operated by a person licensed by a private security authority and supported with gsm nobile telephone service back up signalling facilities,
    Firstly it's three or more restricted firearms that gets you into section 4. A restricted firearm is most pistols, semi-auto full bore rifles, semi-auto shotguns that hold more than three rounds etc.

Secondly, this will be enforced when they apply for the new licence.

Thirdly, this is totally in the wrong place. This is the 'For Sale or Wanted' forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MIDLAND

rrpc wrote: »
    Firstly it's three or more restricted firearms that gets you into section 4. A restricted firearm is most pistols, semi-auto full bore rifles, semi-auto shotguns that hold more than three rounds etc.

Secondly, this will be enforced when they apply for the new licence.

Thirdly, this is totally in the wrong place. This is the 'For Sale or Wanted' forum.

SORRY,CAN I MOVE THIS THREAD TO SHOTTING,

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

3 or more unrestricted firearms will require an alarm - doesn't have to be monitored. You can get cheap 1 or 2 zone alarm and stick a sensor to the safe or in the room where it is and you will be compliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

3 or more unrestricted firearms will require an alarm - doesn't have to be monitored. You can get cheap 1 or 2 zone alarm and stick a sensor to the safe or in the room where it is and you will be compliant.

TBH you would be better off chatting to your CPO 1st as to what he/she will accept.

• Advertisement

Have you not read SI/307?

Quantity|Requirement
    One non-restricted shot-gun.|The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.|Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.|Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621
    Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.|In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

And these are the minimum standards for secure storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Am i reading it right so that you don't need a safe for two non-restricted firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

moose112 wrote: »
    Am i reading it right so that you don't need a safe for two non-restricted firearms.
    Afraid not moose it three or fewer, one was fewer than three last time I checked!!. I do wish though they would write these things in readable english, the what is or isn't restriced being a case in point!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

moose112 wrote: »

If you've got one shotgun, you don't need a safe. (That is, one non restricted shotgun).

If you've got one or more shotguns, or one or more of anything else, you do need a safe.

Confused yet? :D

Have you not read SI/307?

Quantity|Requirement
    One non-restricted shot-gun.|The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.|Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.|Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621
    Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.|In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

And these are the minimum standards for secure storage.

Yes, I have read it. I said 3 or fewer unrestricted firearms would not require a monitored alarm system - I'm assuming that's what the O.P. was enquiring about? As his mates have 4 or more, they will need an alarm.
    He doesn't say if any are restricted so I don't know why you assume they are? Maybe because he refers to section 4? I(perhaps wrongly) though he was refering to the wrong section and should have been looking at section 3. I'm assuming they aren't restricted as the vast majority of firearms out there aren't. Perhaps the O.P. will enlighten us:)

As for minimum standards, I was told by my rep on the FCP and also by the NARGC that the Gardai would be required to prove a demonstrable higher crime rate in an area before they could demand higher security from firearms owners in that area.

I suppose this will be clarified when the guidelines are published. Otherwise we're back to square one with individual F.O.'s free to make whatever demands they want on us. 'Ye want a license for a starting pistol?, well you'd better turn your house into a mini Fort Knox with 24 hour security patrols around the perimeter of your garden ete etc' ;)

• Advertisement

Yes, he had us all confused.

Still no harm to re-state the list. :)

Yes, he had us all confused.

Still no harm to re-state the list. :)

And have a copy ready when your FO calls to inspect.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

TBH you would be better off chatting to your CPO 1st as to what he/she will accept.
    mine was, are you not allwed up to 5 guns on this section so long as yuor safe can hold all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MIDLAND

hi guys, & half-cocked,
    just some information on the firearms ,

no 1 friend, 2 x under/over shot guns, 1 x .22 std rifle, 1 x 22 hornet rifle

no 2 friend, 1 under/over shot gun 1 x semiauto shot gun, 1 .22 std rifle. 1 x 243 rifle,
    all used for vermin control , and the pheasant/ duck season

MIDLAND wrote: »
    hi guys, & half-cocked,
    just some information on the firearms ,

no 1 friend, 2 x under/over shot guns, 1 x .22 std rifle, 1 x 22 hornet rifle

no 2 friend, 1 under/over shot gun 1 x semiauto shot gun, 1 .22 std rifle. 1 x 243 rifle,
    all used for vermin control , and the pheasant/ duck season
    Both appear to come under section three: Safe and alarm, but not monitored.

Can a mod close the brackets on the title?

Re alarms, does there exist a minimum standard for non monitored alarms? Not an issue for me, but I'm just wondering if people will be getting away with the Argos alarms and the ones from ebay..

Can a mod close the brackets on the title?

Re alarms, does there exist a minimum standard for non monitored alarms? Not an issue for me, but I'm just wondering if people will be getting away with the Argos alarms and the ones from ebay..
    Apparently not. No standard mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Apparently not. No standard mentioned.

Bit of a jump from Argos alarm to GSM monitored IMO.:(

That alarm guy in Wexford is going to make a killing on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

G17 wrote: »
    Bit of a jump from Argos alarm to GSM monitored IMO.:(
    That's my angle over in the New Statutory Instruments thread: there's a very hefty jump (in both sophistication and cost) in the security requirements between levels 3 and 4.
    A home-brewed/kit (Ebay, Argos, hardware shop) system, with no requirement for any sort of professional installation/certification or monitoring appears to be acceptable for level 3, while level 4 requires professional installation and certification of both the hardware and the monitoring, along with wireless backup of the landline (GSM link as a minimum).
    My system currently only lacks the wireless backup so I'll be adding that as soon as possible, but there are plenty of people out there who will fall into level 4, and for whom their previously acceptable (and CPO inspected, in most cases) self/non-professionally installed self-monitored, but non-certified system is no longer acceptable, and these people are now looking at trying to get their existing system certified and monitored by someone 'professional', or else replace the whole thing with something that IS acceptable.

Or, as I suspect is at the root of the big disparity between the requirements of the two levels, they'll dispose of the firearms that move them into level 4.

• Advertisement

There may be clarification on what standard the Gardai will accept when they publish their guideline? A bit like the question on who can be a referee, I figure (or maybe hope) a lot will be clarified there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Clarification isn't much use here john - if it's in an SI, then the Super hasn't got much in the way of wiggle room. Technically, yes, the Super could just say "nuts to that" and authorise you for whatever non-restricted firearms you wanted, but (a) that route has limitations if you ever leave the district or the Super ever moves on; and (b) it's not very likely to happen in the first place.

Basicly, these are the regulations; the guidelines won't overrule them.

I would imagine though, if your firearm was robbed or whatever from your house and your alarm was some self installed ebay from HK type thing, then your insurance company and local super won't look to happily on you.

They'd have no grounds to do so zara, since they're meant to inspect and approve that alarm, and if they do so (and assuming you'd turned it on and locked the doors and windows before going out), you're not culpable for it being defeated by a determined thief.

I mean, that'd be like them getting annoyed if someone put a gun to your head and you gave them the key to the safe...

Sparks wrote: »
    Clarification isn't much use here john - if it's in an SI, then the Super hasn't got much in the way of wiggle room. Technically, yes, the Super could just say "nuts to that" and authorise you for whatever non-restricted firearms you wanted, but (a) that route has limitations if you ever leave the district or the Super ever moves on; and (b) it's not very likely to happen in the first place.

Basicly, these are the regulations; the guidelines won't overrule them.
    But these regulations are minimum standards. Higher standards can be required.

Yeah rrpc, but I didn't think that that up was the way john was hoping the requirements would go :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah rrpc, but I didn't think that up was the way john was hoping the requirements would go :D
    No harm reminding him so ;)

Wellllllllllllllllll......................

I kinda figure if you buy an alarm online from HK and it's got a picture of Nemo, or Mickey Mouse on the cover they're not gonna approve it.

I expect there'll be at minimum an "unofficial" standard at the very least. (You know, the way the more things change, the more they stay the same?).

I wouldn't go rushing out to buy anything just now, to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have a look folks on the private Security Authorithy website www.psa.gov.ie and have alook at the lists of liscensed intruder alarm installers, find one in your area,and get a price for an installation and proof that they meet the ISEN50131 standard.
    Then find off them who does their alarm monitoring or back to the PSA for an approved alarm monitoring company.ASK for their certs and references.A good security company will be only too happy to prove their qualifications and references.
    With abit of shopping around,I reckon the price will be alot less under the 1500 eircom price.And that is an outlandish quote in these times.

Folks,in fairness, having a proper alarm system that is monitored and installed is actualy a good investment anyway.If anything goes wrong with it's installation,like your house catching fire![has happened] thru cowboy or crap DIY Kits or installation of CCTV or Alarm systems,you have some sort of comeback.

Not to mind your guns going walkies,and the hassle of re applying,finding and financing the trauma and shte of dealing with the aftermath of a burgalry,can stay with you for years... God knows how bad it can be if it is an armed robbery.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Except that it's actually: www.psa.gov.ie :eek:

Advertisement